Normal People (3 Viewers)

When I was a kid, only a handful of people I knew had a video recorder. Once in a blue moon you’d be invited in to someone’s house on a rainy afternoon to watch a movie. Usually they’d be your standard 80s action movies, or much more rarely a horror, but always something exciting that you’d never see on one of the 5 broadcast channels you got on cablelink.

So one afternoon one of the girls says “I’ve rented a video do you want to come in and watch it?” So of course we were all “yeah, deffo, great” and we all pile into the Donoghue sitting room and start watching some movie.

About 30 minutes in, no fights, no explosions, no aliens, no car chases, no shoot outs. Waiting for something to happen that never does - just some married american couple talking, and the growing realisation that this wasn’t a video like you’d normally get to see like Class of 99 or Remo Williams or Christine, this was something else.

And that’s what normal people reminds me of.

When I was a kid, only a handful of people I knew had a video recorder. Once in a blue moon you’d be invited in to someone’s house on a rainy afternoon to watch a movie. Usually they’d be your standard 80s action movies, or much more rarely a horror, but always something exciting that you’d never see on one of the 5 broadcast channels you got on cablelink.

So one afternoon one of the girls says “I’ve rented a video do you want to come in and watch it?” So of course we were all “yeah, deffo, great” and we all pile into the Donoghue sitting room and start watching some movie.

About 30 minutes in, no fights, no explosions, no aliens, no car chases, no shoot outs. Waiting for something to happen that never does - just some married american couple talking, and the growing realisation that this wasn’t a video like you’d normally get to see like Class of 99 or Remo Williams or Christine, this was something else.

And that’s what normal people reminds me of.

Was it Ordinary People?

This does drag toward the back end alright, even with the short episodes.

God it’s too fucking long isn’t it. 9 episodes and I wish it was done already. Still 3 to go!
They started to lose me toward the end alright.

Like what was the point of that Tuscany episode?
My guess was to showcase the class difference, it's the one time they really talk about it.

And to have a scene where they're riding bikes?

Yeah no I get all that but it just sapped the momentum from the show. It was going along at a decent pace and then suddenly we’re treated to a half an hour of bike rides and an excruciatingly long lunch scene. Like they could’ve wrapped that whole section up in 2 scenes. There was about 10 minutes alone of people just preparing food in that episode. The show lost me a bit after that. Same with the Sweden stuff. Boring and dragged out.

christ, people on twitter saying its the most amazing thing ever. People here saying its shite.

I'm in the 'its shite' camp, despite not having seen it or having read the book.

I get it that people can like different stuff. But this is as polarising as shit gets.

God it’s too fucking long isn’t it. 9 episodes and I wish it was done already. Still 3 to go!
Fairly sure I read the book in less time than it takes to watch it.

Still haven't started this, whoops. My mother thinks it's very good though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back