Nabbing stuff left outside charity shops (1 Viewer)

What would you be demanding Ro? First born? Teenage Virgin? A king like virgin fool who arrived here of his own free will?

just imagine....
l_1023bcdef984346704ceea7f7fd77fe0.jpg

It's all rubbishy tat that some biddy would hagggle down to €2 for the entire lot anyway. I don't think I've ever come across any decent charity shops in the country that aren't trying to charge €15 for some shitty record that I would pay about €5 for or conversly, have only Val Doonegan cassettes for 50c.

Fuck it, it's all just meaniningless rubbish that you'll wear once and then prob end up giving back to a charity shop anway.

It's all rubbishy tat that some biddy would hagggle down to €2 for the entire lot anyway. I don't think I've ever come across any decent charity shops in the country that aren't trying to charge €15 for some shitty record that I would pay about €5 for or conversly, have only Val Doonegan cassettes for 50c.

Fuck it, it's all just meaniningless rubbish that you'll wear once and then prob end up giving back to a charity shop anway.

where are you finding 50c cassettes? they always seem to be more like 1.50. charity shops don't seem to price anything less than a euro these days, so i imagine a huge percentage stuff goes unsold, and then what happens to it?

I bought Godflesh's Streetcleaner & Sepultura's Roots for 50c each in a charity shop here in Limerick a few months back. Also got Ice Ice Baby on tape.

generally unsold stuff goes to a warehouse in dublin, then is distributed to other branches around the country. but where i am i'd say we get about 20-30 sacks of stuff everday, we'd probably have to throw out more than half, cos people are manky.

I nabbed a load of stuff from outside my local charity shop recently. I'm still feeling a bit guilty about it, but am justifying it in the following ways:

1) There are big signs up saying "please don't leave items outside when the shop is not open", and the shop was clearly not open;
2) It's not a registered charity;
3) When I passed it by again a few hours later, the remaining items had been pilfered by somebody else, so the stuff I took would have been nabbed anyway;
4) I'm making a point of donating to this shop (rather than the registered charity I usually donate to) the next time I do a charity shop run...

I still can't help feeling like a tea-leaf though. Am I deluding myself? Am I going to a specially-designed circle of hell where I'm forever trapped in a smelly, dusty charity shop full of choice vinyl and vintage Pucci dresses that are nabbed from under my nose by other shoppers?

I manage a charity shop.You shouldn't feel guilty because ,and I hope you are ready to hear this, we would have thrown those clothes out due to the very high probability someone pissed on or very very near them. This sort of thing happens all the time outside my shop.

charity shops in Ireland aren't half as good as the UK ones - for vinyl anyways.

a couple of the Dublin ones are ok but down the country - shudder.

lots of records in the UK ones are 20p, 50p etc - never see that here.

Surprisngly enough I managed to appropiate Social Darwinism In American Thought by Richard Hofstadter (which is pretty damn good and interesting), The Penguin Guide to Recorded Classical And Contempirary Music and a W.B Yeats poetry book all for the pricely sum of two eurit fifty in the charity shop the last day..|..|
(and yes, i am an awful boring bollocks)

On a slightly unrelated note I found an old grammophone player and some really old records
in an obscure passageway in my grandparents dusty, dusty old attic last night!

The grammophone player is in pristine condition and is gonna be cranked up over the next few days.:)

charity shops in Ireland aren't half as good as the UK ones - for vinyl anyways.

a couple of the Dublin ones are ok but down the country - shudder.

lots of records in the UK ones are 20p, 50p etc - never see that here.

yeah most irish charity shops are overpriced and fairly gash.
the ones in sweden rule however.
got a mint original 81 release of this

516E1EW3N6L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

for just over 50 cents.
score!

I'll have you know about 80% my wardrobe is from charity shops (admittedly, the ones in the UK are better and cheaper than the ones in Ireland, particularly for music and vintage stuff).

And yes, I am aware of the possibility that a dog, cat or human being may have micturated on the stuff I got. Belt has gone in the wash and hatbox will get a good wash before I use it.

Update: shop not open when I got back. Later last night, large box of books left outside, several people rooting throught it. I asked one of them (who I kind of know) "Do you not feel bad taking stuff from outside a charity shop?" and he replied "Nah, it's not a real charity anyway."

I know, I know, just cause other people are doing it doesn't make it right..... but I've decided, they're just getting some donations, not money. Some decent books and brand new shoes and clothes, no tat. Hell here I come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back