Your work situation (1 Viewer)

I know it's embarrasing for your and all but we absolutely adore you for craic like this dude.
I'm trying to just focus on the fact that it wasnt "The good ship Venus", which is the greatest sea shanty ever written.
Last time I spoke to one of the TDs there, I was trying to get him to eat sandwiches and kept saying "they're like really good funeral sndwiches". Apparently I said it a lot, and was a bit forceful about it. I think he likes me now.

I'm trying to just focus on the fact that it wasnt "The good ship Venus", which is the greatest sea shanty ever written.
Last time I spoke to one of the TDs there, I was trying to get him to eat sandwiches and kept saying "they're like really good funeral sndwiches". Apparently I said it a lot, and was a bit forceful about it. I think he likes me now.
was it this?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

From a tweet floating about the place: -

Aer Lingus pilots are not on strike they are working to rule, That means no overtime and not answering calls to come in on days off, If a company cannot operate fully without forcing staff to work their days off and do overtime that’s a management problem.

I was only half paying attention to that thing - anywhoo it is kinda like Jutine Haupt's peice on managment that she seems to have taken down off her website since.

she replaced it (kinda) with her opinions, which i'll have to read at some point today.

Bit of a "first world problem". I've been at this job for a long time and the new (American) owners send out gifts for long-termers when certain anniversaries are reached.

I was sent a link to a range of gifts I could avail of. There were crappy watches and cufflinks and the like, but also some "experience gifts" such as fine dining hotel breaks, flying a WW1 plane, etc. The only thing is they were all UK-based.
No matter how many times I tried to explain that Ireland is not in the UK they simply couldn't understand what I was complaining about; i.e.it would cost me a fortune to avail of any of the experiences.

Anyway, with the feeling of impending doom at work these days I decided I'd best grab something before I'm let go only to find they've downgraded the gift selection. So now I'm getting an iPhone I don't particularly want.

Happy anniversary to me.

Bit of a "first world problem". I've been at this job for a long time and the new (American) owners send out gifts for long-termers when certain anniversaries are reached.

I was sent a link to a range of gifts I could avail of. There were crappy watches and cufflinks and the like, but also some "experience gifts" such as fine dining hotel breaks, flying a WW1 plane, etc. The only thing is they were all UK-based.
No matter how many times I tried to explain that Ireland is not in the UK they simply couldn't understand what I was complaining about; i.e.it would cost me a fortune to avail of any of the experiences.

Anyway, with the feeling of impending doom at work these days I decided I'd best grab something before I'm let go only to find they've downgraded the gift selection. So now I'm getting an iPhone I don't particularly want.

Happy anniversary to me.
An iPhone? Poor you - I got a piece of paper. Which was a step up from… nothing.

I'm in a situation and I need advice. a good situation.

Someone is desperate for a tech who can also operate a cherry picker.
Apparently I won't need to do anything other than make it legit that there's a qualified MEWP operator there. but I'm sure I'll end up getting stuck in anyway, in spite of myself.

I haven't worked at THAT height in years and hardly ever. Cherry pickers are difficult and I'm not confident. So the easy job isn't that easy in my brain.

I've been advised by the Council of Elders to do it and name a price, plus more. I am apparently the save the day unicorn of the thing.

I dunno what to charge. Day rate +50%? More? It ain't getting done without me it seems.

Some of you actually highly skilled people might have some insight on this? Any insights appreciated.

Apparently I won't need to do anything other than make it legit that there's a qualified MEWP operator there. but I'm sure I'll end up getting stuck in anyway, in spite of myself.

I haven't worked at THAT height in years and hardly ever. Cherry pickers are difficult and I'm not confident. So the easy job isn't that easy in my brain.

I've been advised by the Council of Elders to do it and name a price, plus more. I am apparently the save the day unicorn of the thing.

I dunno what to charge. Day rate +50%? More? It ain't getting done without me it seems.

Some of you actually highly skilled people might have some insight on this? Any insights appreciated.

Do you ever want to get work from anyone concerned again?
If they are desperate and you want a snash & grab, then ask for as much as you think you can get.

If you want to be a pro that gets repeat work, ask for the going rate plus inconvenience money, but don't take the piss.

That's what ended up happening. It's not day rate +50%, but it's good.

He's a good negotiator, this client.
I'm just there to make it legit, so all I'll do is go up and down. Maybe occasionally shrug my shoulders and also decide when break time is. Just in my wildest notions last night I was going to charge some obscene amount. Damn my decency.

It doesn’t take long to master a cherry picker.
Spend a few hours on it and youll
Be fluent on operating it

That's what ended up happening. It's not day rate +50%, but it's good.

He's a good negotiator, this client.
I'm just there to make it legit, so all I'll do is go up and down. Maybe occasionally shrug my shoulders and also decide when break time is. Just in my wildest notions last night I was going to charge some obscene amount. Damn my decency.

It doesn’t take long to master a cherry picker.
Spend a few hours on it and youll
Be fluent on operating it

Good stuff

Yeah, they do not have a massive learning curve on them

And they are fun.
Just gotta stay aware of where you are in space.

Yeah, I know. Once I'm there I'm sure it'll flow easily enough.
Now I can focus my needless worries on what kind of strangers I'll be with tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back