Your work situation (5 Viewers)

Did a thing, new client, I was recommended.
But I wasn't recommended because I'm good, they're barrel scraping. It's a busy week.

But then I get there, look at it and think "I'm actually competent here".

And their regulars are, em, used to doing things their way which is wrong. Also, they don't like this lanky old Irish usurper who thinks he knows everything. Tricky.

Consulting with the Council of Elders, I think I'm alright. But I am amazed that the personality trumps the doing of the job.

I'm having to review endless ChatGPT-generated "key point indicators" and "competencies" to assess individual performance, and all the while they are letting people go willy-nilly anyway

I am amazed that the personality trumps the doing of the job.
You're judged on your "performance" at a job, which means exactly what it sounds like it means - your job is a stage, and the people who judge your performance are the audience. Actually getting the job done well is just one aspect of it.

You're judged on your "performance" at a job, which means exactly what it sounds like it means - your job is a stage, and the people who judge your performance are the audience. Actually getting the job done well is just one aspect of it.

yep - and the less tangible and individually attributable the outputs of 'getting the job done' the more scope for the performance aspect.

I'm in a situation where I keep having to defend one of my team members to my boss because the boss just feels that the guy isn't performing as well as his colleagues, despite all evidence to the contrary.

I'm in a situation where I keep having to defend one of my team members to my boss because the boss just feels that the guy isn't performing as well as his colleagues, despite all evidence to the contrary.
FWIW - you are demonstrating leadership and loyalty by doing this. And that you're not a yes man. If your boss is any use* then this will probably stand to you (and you should put it in your self-assessment so you have a record of it)

* though obvs they may not be any use

Did a thing, new client, I was recommended.
But I wasn't recommended because I'm good, they're barrel scraping. It's a busy week.

But then I get there, look at it and think "I'm actually competent here".

And their regulars are, em, used to doing things their way which is wrong. Also, they don't like this lanky old Irish usurper who thinks he knows everything. Tricky.

Consulting with the Council of Elders, I think I'm alright. But I am amazed that the personality trumps the doing of the job.
It's akin to culture eating strategy

People want something done and not to worry about it. They outsource everything from the worry to the actual means & methods.
After a while that's the way it's always been done and anything else seems foreign. Especially from a foreign :)

which is why so many senior roles get filled by people who are merely good at giving an impression of competence.

ha - I worry thats me at this stage (I'm not that senior).

I've moved over the years from being someone with a very high level (nationally) of subject matter expertise in certain areas, to being a complete generalist (slightly different I know)

Are you Sgt. Jay Landsman?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Are you Sgt. Jay Landsman?

I have never seen The Wire

{ shame }

No shame, just something to look forward to!

I've never seen the simpsons, and at this stage I'm not arsed - the zeitgeist has passed. The Wire will always be worth watching though

What the actual fuck are
You talking about?!
You've somehow Never seen the animated comedy show The Simpsons that's been on tv in one way or another the last..... 35ish years?
Really?!?!?!?

No shame, just something to look forward to!

I've never seen the simpsons, and at this stage I'm not arsed - the zeitgeist has passed. The Wire will always be worth watching though
Not sure how you'd be able to watch teh classic years - or even what that time frame is

You might be surprised to see just how many phrases have worked their way into daily usage

Lots of people outsourced their sense of humour to just Simpsons and Father Ted quotes

I have never seen a full episode of Father Ted. Nor will I ever.

Not sure how you'd be able to watch teh classic years - or even what that time frame is

You might be surprised to see just how many phrases have worked their way into daily usage

Lots of people outsourced their sense of humour to just Simpsons and Father Ted quotes

I have never seen a full episode of Father Ted. Nor will I ever.

You really should watch fr Ted. It's part of the Irish curriculum. Mostly because some of it is absolutely hilarious and then also you'd get more references social.
And I could understand having never seen it. It wasn't on telly for 35 years continuously like the simpsons

You really should watch fr Ted. It's part of the Irish curriculum. Mostly because some of it is absolutely hilarious and then also you'd get more references social.
And I could understand having never seen it. It wasn't on telly for 35 years continuously like the simpsons
I avoided it
What I saw of it, I didn't really like

Although, I feel like I've watched every episode with the amount people quote it.

I'm a bit of a bore on this. It's a bugbear of mine; the ubiquity of this TV programme in Irish culture.
Each to their own and all.

Users who are viewing this thread

• G
Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back