Your work situation (9 Viewers)

thinking of going for a job in the new year, its a back-fill of a job I went for a few years ago which I wasn't really in the running for but was interviewed - with farcical results (chaos on their side, me stumbling on my side).

It would be a step sideways, but I'd obviously be much better qualified candidate now.

but feel a bit embarrassed.....with the possible exception of one person, the same bosses will be sitting at the table.

thinking of going for a job in the new year, its a back-fill of a job I went for a few years ago which I wasn't really in the running for but was interviewed - with farcical results (chaos on their side, me stumbling on my side).

It would be a step sideways, but I'd obviously be much better qualified candidate now.

but feel a bit embarrassed.....with the possible exception of one person, the same bosses will be sitting at the table.
I’ve re-interviewed people before and where they show improvement on a previous interview, it’s a really good sign.

I'm interviewing people right now and in a couple of cases where I didn't proceed with people, my feedback to them was that they weren't that short of the requirements, that I'd hire them in a heartbeat in the future if they upskilled that little bit more. In one case I'm even mentoring one of those people with a view to taking them on at some stage.

I presume its an internal position, not in another company? Trust me, from the interviewer side, I think they'll be glad to see you coming if you're better qualified now. Will save them wasting time looking for someone else.

Embarrassment isn't that difficult of an emotion to just put up with, I think. If that's the only thing holding you back I'd say go for it

+1 on this. I would say with a lot of confidence that this is you getting in your own way and any interviewer at a minimum won't care that you're going for it again and as has been pointed out they might be impressed with the progress that you've made towards being better suited to the role.

Talent is what matters in elite sport, day to day employment what is important is reliability and trust, if you can impress them with your progress that should go a long way.

What's the worst that'll happen? You don't get it and you feel bad for a bit, big deal, you might get it and you'll feel good, worth the risk IMO.

I'm interviewing people right now and in a couple of cases where I didn't proceed with people, my feedback to them was that they weren't that short of the requirements, that I'd hire them in a heartbeat in the future if they upskilled that little bit more. In one case I'm even mentoring one of those people with a view to taking them on at some stage.

I presume its an internal position, not in another company? Trust me, from the interviewer side, I think they'll be glad to see you coming if you're better qualified now. Will save them wasting time looking for someone else.

nah - in another organization..... but small world etc.

the previous interview was something of a bruising experience. part farce, part griling

thats usually more a reflection of the interviewer rather than the interviewee. Sounds like you were interviewed by an arsehole .

clinical academic. often comes with the territory...

It was a series of misunderstandings, and misinterpretations of things I said. Not helped by me getting into panic mode towards the end. It was fairly 'the office' at times...

Ah no. Everyone else has said, go for it. I haven't done a real job interview since 2010. I've had several jobs since then. So I don't really know.

That interview, medical admin, was also a farce. I corpsed and couldn't actually remember the words "ICD code", which is pretty fundamental to the job. But I just blanked. I got a call from the interviewer after saying I was top 5 of 200andsomething people, please try again later. I never did, and I kind of regret it. I think I got in my own way there.

Edit: My last successful job interview was in 2002 maybe.

Last edited:
Do people still ask about weaknesses in interviews*? It's a real underhanded question IMO - very difficult to get anything positive out of it, usually the best you can do is avoid fucking up

*where I work we don't fwiw
currently I don't, but in my last job I was told I had to (american company). Not 'weaknesses', per se, but you had to ask about areas the candidate feel they have room for improvement. Kinda the same thing I guess

I've interviewed for the same position years apart where someone didn't get it first time purely because another person was slightly "better". We were happy when they applied again the next time and got it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back