Your work situation (2 Viewers)

Some jobs take the amount of time they take. The 4 day, same money-same productivity week smacks a wee bit of a bonus for unproductive office types.

The same way that removing traffic from the city centre is a thing for people who don't need to transport literal tonnes of tools and equipment from job to job.

Some jobs take the amount of time they take. The 4 day, same money-same productivity week smacks a wee bit of a bonus for unproductive office types.

The same way that removing traffic from the city centre is a thing for people who don't need to transport literal tonnes of tools and equipment from job to job.

I'm on a 4 day week but only paid for a 4 day week. The amount of work I'd get done in a 5th day is certainly worth paying me more for. I do spent the guts of a day driving to/from Donegal/dublin once a week though which is a balls

I'm on a 4 day week but only paid for a 4 day week. The amount of work I'd get done in a 5th day is certainly worth paying me more for. I do spent the guts of a day driving to/from Donegal/dublin once a week though which is a balls
I think they do just under an extra hour a day for the 4 they’re in, so with breaks etc it’s not a lot of hours lost.
I think I’d end up just doing unpaid overtime each week because the stuff still has to get done, but I’d be happy to do it for 3 days off.

I did get to explain what happened to my client, who was also my first aider, he totally agreed, it was the fault of his guys.

Ratchet straps aren't difficult lads.

I do more in 4 than i did in 5 because i'm rested and have the headspace. Depends very much on the job though.

I was thinking mostly in terms of physical work jobs. Often with those "extra productivity" AKA finishing and handing over quicker doesn't involve working harder/taking less breaks but instead cutting corners and not completing to a decent standard.

Often I say that the solution to most employers' staffing issues is to offer more money, in these cases there's still a payroll based solution*, which is to hire more people but even that's not always feasible or possible.

* There's also investment in better tools to allow people to do the job quicker and more efficiently if you do realise you need to spend money and would prefer a capital investment rather than a staffing one.

I was thinking mostly in terms of physical work jobs. Often with those "extra productivity" AKA finishing and handing over quicker doesn't involve working harder/taking less breaks but instead cutting corners and not completing to a decent standard.

Often I say that the solution to most employers' staffing issues is to offer more money, in these cases there's still a payroll based solution*, which is to hire more people but even that's not always feasible or possible.

* There's also investment in better tools to allow people to do the job quicker and more efficiently if you do realise you need to spend money and would prefer a capital investment rather than a staffing one.

Would it not be that If you've priced and timed the work for 4 day weeks, then you can work a 4 day week - obviously in a small ship that brings up competition problems.

Then for every 4 staff, a new hire is gonna make up the 20% each time so yeah it comes into company funding and what not then.

I'm all in favour of more money, I don't think a company is gonna favour shitty tools that take longer over human pay time. Tools don't give out about shit. Robots FTW*

*Robots and AI replacing everything will probably turn this into a 2-3 working week discussion at some point.

Would it not be that If you've priced and timed the work for 4 day weeks, then you can work a 4 day week - obviously in a small ship that brings up competition problems.

Then for every 4 staff, a new hire is gonna make up the 20% each time so yeah it comes into company funding and what not then.

I'm all in favour of more money, I don't think a company is gonna favour shitty tools that take longer over human pay time. Tools don't give out about shit. Robots FTW*

*Robots and AI replacing everything will probably turn this into a 2-3 working week discussion at some point.

The problem comes when you're in the happy position of being "busy" already and there is still the same amount of work to be done, which takes an inflexible amount of time, in less available time. I suppose the argument there is that if your company is in the happy position of being that busy most businesses would be using that as a base to maybe hire more staff and expand.

I was working a 4 day week for a while but I just slid back in to 5 cos of the amount of work I have. In fact,I could fairly easily expand my business if I wanted and triple my income,if I was that way inclined but I'm not. Because if I did that I'd end up expanding again and next thing you'd know I'd be just driving round in a 4x4 wearing boot cut jeans and telling lads to cop the fuck on all day. Like a fucking capitalist.

Fuck that noise. Tipping away is where it's at. Just me in my little Noddy van.

I was working a 4 day week for a while but I just slid back in to 5 cos of the amount of work I have. In fact,I could fairly easily expand my business if I wanted and triple my income,if I was that way inclined but I'm not. Because if I did that I'd end up expanding again and next thing you'd know I'd be just driving round in a 4x4 wearing boot cut jeans and telling lads to cop the fuck on all day. Like a fucking capitalist.

You're in the sweet spot

Weird interaction with a client today. We'd generally act as a subcontractor to them, and they are a sub-contractor to a sub-contractor ... and so on and so on.

E-mail from client. "Had an e-mail in from *final client* saying that a pallet of *items that we sell and install* has been left on site, can you arrange for it's removal."

This isn't one of our jobs, I've got no record of a mention of that site for the last 3 years when we were asked to quote for something but declined as it was part of a national service contract we wouldn't be able to fulfil. Have rung around a couple of businesses that do what we do that we're on good terms with to ask if it's theirs's and they are clueless too. Our client exclusively works with us on the product we sell. All very confusing.

At the same time, they sent up a photo of the palette. There's a few grands worth of stock there. Totally worth my while to drive down to Limerick tomorrow and pick it up.

Weird interaction with a client today. We'd generally act as a subcontractor to them, and they are a sub-contractor to a sub-contractor ... and so on and so on.

E-mail from client. "Had an e-mail in from *final client* saying that a pallet of *items that we sell and install* has been left on site, can you arrange for it's removal."

This isn't one of our jobs, I've got no record of a mention of that site for the last 3 years when we were asked to quote for something but declined as it was part of a national service contract we wouldn't be able to fulfil. Have rung around a couple of businesses that do what we do that we're on good terms with to ask if it's theirs's and they are clueless too. Our client exclusively works with us on the product we sell. All very confusing.

At the same time, they sent up a photo of the palette. There's a few grands worth of stock there. Totally worth my while to drive down to Limerick tomorrow and pick it up.

Go down and collect it or I will !

Kildare street is locked down and we were told to work from home.
There doesn’t even to seem to be any protestors around this time.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back