Your work situation (6 Viewers)

Ominous meeting invites from the directors sent out to my department--and no one else's. And each participant is sworn to secrecy.

No idea what is going on but the sense is that it is not good.
So there are going to be layoffs. They spent all day talking to those affected. They left the people who weren't on the list until all those people were informed. Rough on the nerves but personally relieved to have a stay of execution.

So there are going to be layoffs. They spent all day talking to those affected. They left the people who weren't on the list until all those people were informed. Rough on the nerves but personally relieved to have a stay of execution.

Best of luck. Must be awful. Sorry, I can't come up with anything better to say.

its pretty shitty, but you can only look out for yourself in these situations. I'm glad you got your preferred outcome.

Without knowing what those laid off, do, the jobs market is getting stronger so I expect / hope they'll get sorted quickly. Hopefully they get a decent packages (the first 10k of which is tax-free if you have more than 1 year's service).

I'm alright for now. Tough on those they let go.

Time to upskill
If this is the second round of layoffs (if memory serves), and they haven't cut you, then I like your chances of riding this thing out

They have looked at you twice and said "Nope, that guy's staying"

It also probably means they aren't paying you enough - but you can live with that for now

The way I see my situation is I am useful for the moment to train and oversee new people, but after that, I will not be surprised if the Sword of Damocles finally falls.
Looking at online courses to see what the best option is.

The way I see my situation is I am useful for the moment to train and oversee new people, but after that, I will not be surprised if the Sword of Damocles finally falls.
Looking at online courses to see what the best option is.

I got made redundant last year and it was the best thing to ever happen to me. I’m now doing a masters I won’t make any money from and a bit of freelancing.

Change can be good, and most people underestimate how skilled you are when thinking about looking for work again.

Big meeting in a few weeks in the actual office with bigwigs flying in from the U. S.
It's hard to get motivated with all this going on.

Had to do a team meeting for work when I was on holiday recently because the guy I needed to talk to was on holiday the week before.

Tried to call yer man on the phone just now for a word, he's on holiday again this week.

Lot to be said for being a cog in the big machine as opposed to whatever the fuck I am, big wheel in a small machine.

Had to do a team meeting for work when I was on holiday recently because the guy I needed to talk to was on holiday the week before.

Tried to call yer man on the phone just now for a word, he's on holiday again this week.

Lot to be said for being a cog in the big machine as opposed to whatever the fuck I am, big wheel in a small machine.
Where I am the Irish staff can carry over 5 days of annual leave at the end of each year. The Indians can carry over 42

I have one guy who has accumulated almost 70 days of annual leave

I started the current leave year with 46 days.
Yep I had the same and my partner was close to 80 (after getting sick leave and stuff sorted).
We’re informally asked to restrict leave to about a 3 month period through out the year and always need to have someone in a group on just in case, so it builds up.

I’m the first one in my regional team to put in for end-of-year leave, apparently. I wouldn’t have done it so early but I booked a pre-Xmas break and wanted to be sure. I still have about a week and a half leave in hand and I don’t know when I’ll be using those.

In my job, the Irish side of booking annual leave has always been very much seen as a "request". There was/is every chance you will not get it if it doesn't suit the company. We were quite taken aback when we realised that the employees from other countries just booked their leave and we had to work to accommodate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back