Your work situation (2 Viewers)

I actually like this job for once. I’m properly working for the Man and that’s a genuine struggle for me, but I know I’m doing good. Scared shitless about what I’ll be stuck doing once my promotion comes in, but I’ll deal with it when it does.

So my question is this -
If you had somewhere to live (own bedroom, not crowded etc.) and 232 euro p.w. plus other dole benefits, then what would be the attraction of having a job?
What makes you spend so much of yer life working?
e.g. I am sure some of you are in bands and I am talentless.

One of my inlaws always says 'well you need somewhere to go in the morning'.

I have the choice though. I could never work again and just be on disability and have somewhere to live, but I'd rather be doing stuff while i can. There's enough periodical reward from what i do and if there wasn't, it's funded a bike i really like, a few cycling trips i've really enjoyed and as @egg_ already laid out, If you are interested in partnering up with someone having a job does count for a lot.

Yeah. Nothing is worth that amount of my time. Best thing about not having a job is I don't have to be around other people unless I want to be.

I worked on a pig farm aged 14-17 (1990 - September 1993).
I got paid nothing for a few weekends work I did in spring 1990. My father got me and my younger brother the job and should have made sure we got paid.
As a summer job I got paid £50 a week in 1990-92.
From May 1993 to September 1993, I full time was paid £75 p.w. which was £112 before tax.

I worked with an artist / interior design guy from September 1993 - summer 1995. So I was mostly sanding wood and cleaning the place. Other than all dust it was not bad.
I got £40 p.w. dole money was about £60 at the time but I wasn't entitled to dole as I hadn't paid tax working for 6 months straight.

I had £1368 in my P.O. account in August 1992 before I got interested in buying records.
I felt like I was wasting my time for money I didn't need. Those jobs don't effect me now but caused me a lot problems at the time. I volunteered to work on the piggery in 1990 but was given no choice after that.

What you got paid 30 years ago doesn't really matter much does it?
You've clearly set yourself up to live with what you've got. And fair play. But money isn't your motivation.

As a thought, what if you were paid to be a sports historian or something? Would the responsibility ruin the enjoyment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back