Your top 5 musical discoveries of 2004 (4 Viewers)

hag said:
will someone please make me a comp featuring supersilent, comets on fire, part chimp, les georges leningrad, double leopards and black dice please? thanks. if i like them, i'll try to bring them over so that may be worth someone's while. i just don't have my finger on the pulse any more, i need help.
i'll try and do an mp3 compilation for saturday for you if you want. only heard a few bits and bobs from les georges leningrad and part chimp though so someone else'll have to help you out there.

Wavioli said:
Its been a bad year for music for me.
me too. it seems that maybe 1 in 4 records i buy i actually listen to more than a couple of times...

but then, i got into ENVY this year, so that nearly makes up for it

Didn't really come across any new acts that impressed me all that much this year, but did discover a few older ones that I really liked:

Fe-Mail/Spunk
Oneida
Tinariwen
Chris Corsano & Paul Flaherty
Cobra Killer
Long Fin Killie
Sketch Show

Paul

photon said:
Didn't really come across any new acts that impressed me all that much this year, but did discover a few older ones that I really liked:

Long Fin Killie

Paul
I love LFK, such a shame they split up. Have you heard Bows? Don't make the mistake I did and assume Luke Sutherland will be as good a writer - argh... Jellyroll is one of the worst books I have ever read.

photon said:
Tinariwen

Paul
Ah that's a deadly album actually. See it's only when other people point 'em out that I remember new stuff that I bought and liked this year. For the uniniated they are Tuareg/Berber types from the Sahara that play electric guitars ... really cool stuff

kirstie said:
Hurrah! Now I have Robot in my head. That ought to cheer me up.

The best thing is our life span (i don't mind)
We last nigh on hundred years (i don't mind)
If that means we'll be together i don't mind
I have no mind, i have no mind

So do I. that's mad init :confused:

photon said:
Tinariwen
ooh, yes, forgot about them as well. i obviously also needed to be reminded of the things i liked this year, the ould brain cells obviously aren't what they used to be...

photon said:
Tinariwen
Is this album good? I saw these on later with Jools Holland about a year ago and was blown away but never followed up on it.

photon said:
Chris Corsano & Paul Flaherty
Too right! These were the first thing that came to mind when I thought about musical discoveries this year. Hardly something old discovered though. If you mean the brand of free jazz they're playing, well...

Have to agree with the sentiment overall though. This year I was not particularly excited with current music. I have been discovering Studio 1, various jazz, various other old stuff.

boigaz said:
Is this album good? I saw these on later with Jools Holland about a year ago and was blown away but never followed up on it.
Well, I was referring to both seeing them at Glastonbury (having only heard of them before that) as well as the album. But "Amassakoul" is indeed well worth getting.

boigaz said:
Too right! These were the first thing that came to mind when I thought about musical discoveries this year. Hardly something old discovered though. If you mean the brand of free jazz they're playing, well...
By "old", I meant "been around a while and I might have heard of them, but had never actually heard/seen until 2004". They (and the others I mentioned) definitely fit into that category.

Paul

i know i posted some before but i have more

animal collectve
wolf eyes
black dice
hair police
double leopards
merzbow
acid mothers temple
murder of rosa luxembourg
pere ubu
throbbing gristle
nomeansno
bardo pond
heroin
casual dots
circle takes the square
john fahey
fursaxa

this year i have spent mos of my time finding new favourite bands

Ciaran Mackle said:
i know i posted some before but i have more

animal collectve
wolf eyes
black dice
hair police
double leopards
merzbow
acid mothers temple
murder of rosa luxembourg
pere ubu
throbbing gristle
nomeansno
bardo pond
heroin
casual dots
circle takes the square
john fahey
fursaxa

this year i have spent mos of my time finding new favourite bands
you need a real job

here, try this
on no account should you go here

actually, criteria's "en garde" album was a nice discovery. but then, i knew about it well in advance due to White Octave involvement, so does that count has a discovery?

Alan Remorse said:
actually, criteria's "en garde" album was a nice discovery. but then, i knew about it well in advance due to White Octave involvement, so does that count has a discovery?
Alan, the number of people who have flagrently broken the rools of this thread is a disgrace. Top 5's have turned into top 40's or top 28's or top 16's.

So it doesn't really matter if it's a discovery or not.

What's your opinion on the Discovery channel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back