Your top 5 musical discoveries of 2004 (3 Viewers)

Muscle Beach said:
damn, i got that record (the orange one?) this year from murder city and it's cool. joan of arc played belfast last year but it was on the same night i did black eyes, ah well i heard they were a bit boring/weird, maybe like owls too then. still, good record.
nah, i was at both those gigs, fella ;)

same night as electric eel shock so no-one turned up for joan of arc. then tim kinsella berated the few who had showed up which turned the aul' atmosphere a bit cold.
pity though, they were pretty deadly otherwise.

the dirty weed said:
same night as electric eel shock so no-one turned up for joan of arc. then tim kinsella berated the few who had showed up which turned the aul' atmosphere a bit cold.
He gave out to the people who had turned up and paid in to see him???!!! Really? That's charming isn't it?

ddmurph said:
ah now, if you're gonna introduce finite field arithmetic don't go leading people astray! it's

40 mod 7 = 5
28 mod 23 = 5
16 mod 11 = 5

and the modular and equality operations aren't commutative

i'll get my coat

he's right you know

40 ≠ 5 mod 7 = 5
28 ≠ 5 mod 23 = 5
16 ≠ 5 mod 11 = 5

in general terms, for any x<y, x % y = x ... QED

ronan said:
Top 5 i 'discovered' this year?

Hymie's Basement
Animal Collective
Deerhoof (although it seems like years!...jesus)
Ten Past Seven
Joanna Newsom

and to all those who said Owls...i can only wish i heard a band as good as Owls this year.
if only i could hear Owls for the first time...

Make Believe come close....but still no Victor Villareal.

or Victor Villa-UN-real as he should be known .|..|
damn straight,isn't he a junkie or something.and surely Ten Past Seven were 'discovered' last year, no?if not they shoulda been in my top5.what's hymie's basement like?

1: Fmaj7 (love this chord)
2: The Flaming Lips
3: Jaded Sun
4: Rickenbacker Basses (this counts right?)
5: The insen scale (woooo, wind chimey)

hugh said:
He gave out to the people who had turned up and paid in to see him???!!! Really? That's charming isn't it?
he did the same in limerick. he didnt like ppl not dancing. still owls would be one of my fave amc gigs of all time. and that record is cool too.

call me lightning
malkovich
gasoline fight (ex-sweept eh leg johnny and samll brown bike)
the rites
oasis

just heard don cab "american don" the other day. man they rip daemien frost off bad.

some new demos by irish bands knocking about:

wreck of the hesperus (doom)
forever aftermath (melodic punk)
you will die (grind)
murdoch (rocky stuff with a metallic and stoner edge)

the dirty weed said:
nah, i was at both those gigs, fella ;)

oh yeah, i totally forgot about electric eel shock. both gigs were rather lamely attended. good ole belfast.

tim kinsella isn't half as pretty as i'd imagined.

Candy hank is amazing.

I listened to his stuff when he was E de Cologne, but only discovered his new stuff at Mòr this year.

Also, bit corny sayin' it cause i know the band, but Channel1/CH1 are amazing.

FancyGoods said:
Candy hank is amazing.

I listened to his stuff when he was E de Cologne, but only discovered his new stuff at Mòr this year.

Also, bit corny sayin' it cause i know the band, but Channel1/CH1 are amazing.
yeah I was just thinking about Candy Hank this morning, thinking I should really spend more time chasing up music I like. He was defo my highlight from mor. Any Recomendations FG?

I've juts got the one cd Gabba Queens or something like that. bought it from him at mòr. don't think you can get it anywhere else. very hardcore stuff.
If you can source some E De Cologne they're deadly aswell.
I really should make a cd for the compilation club thingy.

you can download some stuff on his website too

http://www.galerie-transition.de/pc/

Wavioli said:
yeah I was just thinking about Candy Hank this morning, thinking I should really spend more time chasing up music I like. He was defo my highlight from mor. Any Recomendations FG?

FancyGoods said:
I've juts got the one cd Gabba Queens or something like that. bought it from him at mòr. don't think you can get it anywhere else. very hardcore stuff.
If you can source some E De Cologne they're deadly aswell.
I really should make a cd for the compilation club thingy.

you can download some stuff on his website too

http://www.galerie-transition.de/pc/
Sweet, Nice one Fancy.

note to self: bring in skin coloured headphones to work. Or maybe ear-shaped one. Or skin coloured ear shaped ones.

FancyGoods said:
grr, Im gonna listen the fuck out of them when i get home, but for now:

angry.jpg

the top 6 acts i heard for the first time this year are:

the fiery furnaces
stanley super 800
republic of loose
the bees
joy zipper
iain archer (ok he first came to my attention this year even though i do have the son of evil reindeer album for over 2 years and the snow patrol final straw since the day it came out in august 2003, both of which he appeared on)

ddmurph said:
ah now, if you're gonna introduce finite field arithmetic don't go leading people astray! it's

40 mod 7 = 5
28 mod 23 = 5
16 mod 11 = 5

and the modular and equality operations aren't commutative

i'll get my coat
For a start, it's not finite field arithmetic. If it was, you wouldn't have an element called 40 in a field of order 7.

Second, 40 = 5 mod 7 does *not* mean 40 = (remainder of 5 on division by 7), it means that 40 and 5 have the same divisor on division by 7. So it *is* commutative. Strictly speaking I guess I should have written "40 = 5 (mod 7)" and used the fancy triple equals equivalence sign.

The point is in maths modulo is *not* an operation, it's an equivalence relation. In computers there's usually an operation called mod, but it's a misnomer - it should really be called remainder or summat. In maths 40 mod 7 = 5 doesn't mean anything. 40 % 7 = 5 would be a better way of writing it, since it unambiguously refers to the remainder operation.

Phew

I'll get me coat

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back