Your top 5 musical discoveries of 2004 (1 Viewer)

aoboa said:
Waiting Room and Rollers/Sparkers albums.
Not a whole lot else has surprised me...
yep, totally agree. everything else was knida boring. waiting room were really great in whelans the weekend before last. road relish single. buy it. ( not you, everyone else... ;) )

crapola. giraffe running was mentioned twice here. we've just split up, we only like being in bands no one likes... our track record is testimony to this.

Unclealo said:
Whatever Dave. Two words for you: ignorant ingrate
allen, you're under the impression you've done a lot for me and i'm ungrateful. and you're mixing this up with me not liking your band and calling me all sorts of names and telling me to fuck off. what gives? did you give me an email address once? does that mean i have to think you band is, and i quote...

"Holy Ghost Fathers - Not the religious order, but a fantastic band from Sligo who are the reason the Ballroom exists."

dude, i can tell you for nothing that's never going to happen. and i know you're a decent chap so i'm going to keep niggling you until you cop on.

hag said:
allen, you're under the impression you've done a lot for me and i'm ungrateful. and you're mixing this up with me not liking your band and calling me all sorts of names and telling me to fuck off. what gives? did you give me an email address once? does that mean i have to think you band is, and i quote...

"Holy Ghost Fathers - Not the religious order, but a fantastic band from Sligo who are the reason the Ballroom exists."

dude, i can tell you for nothing that's never going to happen. and i know you're a decent chap so i'm going to keep niggling you until you cop on.

This makes no sense. What are you trying to say?

Specifically we (HGF and Billy) gave you a gig. I also let you DJ at a Birthday Ballroom. I passed you a few number for gigs in sligo etc. This doesn't mean you should like us. It does mean you shouldn't be ragging on us like a bitch everytime I post here.

I don't care if anyone likes or doesn't like my band. You, however, have a hardon for giving us shit going back 3 years at this stage (I can dig up every jibe if you like). There are plenty of bands that post on thumped. Why don't you turn your attention to them?

The fact that you keep trying to provoke me into arguments (despite me asking you several times to go away) to proves my point.

Hag = Ignorant Ingrate

Unclealo said:
This makes no sense. What are you trying to say?

Specifically we (HGF and Billy) gave you a gig. I also let you DJ at a Birthday Ballroom. I passed you a few number for gigs in sligo etc. This doesn't mean you should like us. It does mean you shouldn't be ragging on us like a bitch everytime I post here.

I don't care if anyone likes or doesn't like my band. You, however, have a hardon for giving us shit going back 3 years at this stage (I can dig up every jibe if you like). There are plenty of bands that post on thumped. Why don't you turn your attention to them?

The fact that you keep trying to provoke me into arguments (despite me asking you several times to go away) to proves my point.

Hag = Ignorant Ingrate
ugh. allen, we were getting on fine until you made a comment about jazz being the last refuge of the untalented. are you telling me you were seething with rage all this time and were only just about able to keep a cap on it and my comment suggesting that hgf, instead of jazz, was the last refuge for the untalented was just too much for you to handle? every band in dublin has played at the ballroom, it's a great great thing. i asked you if i could dj at the xmas thing because i support what you do. in case i didn't express my gratitude at the time, thanks a million for letting me dj. for some reason you're taking my comment about the last refuge for the untalented and flying it as a flag to excuse your hatred of me. i like jazz music. you totally offended me by saying that. did i ask for an apology? no!

by today's standards, i'd venture to boast that i'm not all that ignorant. as for being ungrateful... i am ungrateful to you for taking the piss out of my favourite musical movement/genre.

Um, so to get back to what this thread is supposed to be about...

My discoveries this year:

Felix Kubin
Pinback
The Books
The Go! Team
Feist

That most of these were recommended by my younger brother is something I'm not proud of. Must...stop...inevitable...slide...into...middle-age.

Irish bands (discovered all by meself):

The Waiting Room
Ten Past Seven
GAMAK
Rest

Thanks OOAL!

And best gigs of the year:

Lali Puna
Aesop Rock
Shellac et al.
Any of the many gigs featuring above Irish bands
C4O at Mor
ATP
Coil
The Twilight Singers (or was that last year?)

hag said:
jeez, excuse the digression ms. matureo but... are you crazy? i totally got you into waiting room...
You forgot to mention as well that the sun travels around the earth, DF don't sound anything like Don Caballero and you don't suffer from lapsed memory syndrome.

hag said:
it's funny the way people step up and correct maths and then say "i'll get my coat" as if they were embarrassed. jimmy magee did it too. it's total horse shit. you're showing off your knowledge and pretending to be embarrassed by it. it's totally funny :)
It's true, it's true

hag said:
you're the only one to get this actually right!
This, however, is not.

See, for example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_arithmetic

ok here's my list:

lightning bolt
rufus wainwright (ok i'm cheating a bit here, i've had his music for a long time but i only really got into it this year)
golden
the ex (holy jesus, how did it take me this long?)
crazy music that the band the ex gave to the band zu who lent it to hag for our drive down to limerick and cork.....music from mali, inuit music etc. wow.

at the beginning of the year i mostly listened to phoenix and bauer and although i've been doing that for ages now i still think they're worth a mention for this year:)

Frogs | Sufjan Stevens | Efterklang | LCD Soundsystem | Juana Molina

Also that Damon Albarn/Afel Bocoum/Toumani Diabate Mali Music CD.
Is that the one youse others are on about? It's deadly.

no i don't know that one.
i'm not even sure what i've listened to, it came to us in the form of a burned cd that just had "mali" written on it, but from what i can tell it's just music from mali with no outside involvement.

SadieOutlaw said:
no i don't know that one.
i'm not even sure what i've listened to, it came to us in the form of a burned cd that just had "mali" written on it, but from what i can tell it's just music from mali with no outside involvement.
it's trad mali. no blur shite ass wanker in it. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back