Your top 5 musical discoveries of 2004 (1 Viewer)

Wheels said:
Sufjan Stevens
Deerhoof
Modern Lovers
Joanna Newsom
The Dylan Group
did you ever get your hands on a recording of the modern lovers track on PBITM? if so, i will kiss you for a copy.

nEiLo said:
the whispering gallery tried to bring supersilent over a few years ago but they were looking for megabucks.
yeah, but aren't they an incompetent shower of idiots?

bands that found me this year -

ghosts and vodka
panopoly academy
bauer
make believe
kill sadie
hella
minus story

tyring to get my hands on that dilute album-theres still time in 2004!

The Killing Spree/Magnetize (but of course) are joint numero one.

After that:
Bi Ki Dude
In/Humanity - Guyana Punchline
Goblin
(retards)
Eric Dolphy

big fists said:
bands that found me this year -

ghosts and vodka
panopoly academy
bauer
make believe
kill sadie
hella
minus story

tyring to get my hands on that dilute album-theres still time in 2004!
i found bauer this year too, pretty amazing stuff. sadie outlaw is also a big fan. ghosts and vodka is pretty great too. hella is technically impressive, but lacks soul i find.

hag said:
i found bauer this year too, pretty amazing stuff. sadie outlaw is also a big fan. ghosts and vodka is pretty great too. hella is technically impressive, but lacks soul i find.
yeah thats a common complaint about hella, but i don't think i have ever heard anyone play drums like that, and i found you really need to know the songs well (i.e. whats going to happen next) to enjoy them properly. I did hear though, that zach hill is to make an album with rob crowe-maybe that will have some soul!

Duke Ellington.

Didn't discover any 'new' bands. Am a little out of touch on that front. If they haven't got a greatest hits, i haven't heard of them.

I stopped liking music for a long time. I get these periods of having no time for new stuff, or for guitar music, or for electronic music or whatever. THis year has been sparse and I have mostly been listening to:

Diplo
Rob Sonic
John Cale
Shostakovich
Party music that I dj which may have something to do with me losing my passion.

Can't wait for next year. Gonna buy loadsa rekkids.

big fists said:
yeah thats a common complaint about hella, but i don't think i have ever heard anyone play drums like that, and i found you really need to know the songs well (i.e. whats going to happen next) to enjoy them properly. I did hear though, that zach hill is to make an album with rob crowe-maybe that will have some soul!
the drummer is just one of these people who was born to play their instrument. he's played with les claypool, tim green and countless others. the guitar player is in friend/enemy with some of the guys from joan of arc. i know the hella records well... they're impressive but lack staying power for me.

in no particular order:

sufjan stevens
puget sound
xiu xiu
charles mingus
cap'n jazz

are all amazing and i'm a late comer to pretty much all of them.thanks to the thumped comp club for some good tips

Boi Akih
Hatebeak
Konono No.1
Jack Rose
And two amazing drummers: Chris Corsano and Chander Sardjoe.

J.

PS. Supersilent cost 3k in fees.

talk about being miles behind the times..

devo (!!!)
don caballero
deerhoof
boredoms
lackluster

hmm.. there's probably loads more. like the postal service. and before this year the only GBV album I had was alien lanes. I've got a few more now. :)

this is the first year I've ever been able to afford to buy cds regularly. good for me!

Stacy said:
deadly! ..this will be in other shops real soon. murder city are starting to sell cds in a week or two and it should be in road then too.

there'll be three tracks on myspace when they finish processing the mp3s.
http://www.myspace.com/xretardsx

!ninjaaaa
It should be released as a square pink Picture Disc 10" too!!.
Great album - i`ve been hooked on it totally over the last few months.People should defo check it out.

Pinback were actually my greatest live discovery this year - along with Fursaxa, Hero Dishonest, The Liars & Yage.

Albums that really blew me away this year were ones by Unison(Serbia), Loa Loa(Russia) & With Love(Italy) - these can all be got at Rimbaud Records!(plug plug)

hag said:
the drummer is just one of these people who was born to play their instrument. he's played with les claypool, tim green and countless others. the guitar player is in friend/enemy with some of the guys from joan of arc. i know the hella records well... they're impressive but lack staying power for me.
i have to agree with ya there hag.and what's with the whole 'this band will change your life and the way you look at music forever' shit on the cover of their albums?arrogant fucks

* technotronic (this beat is,this beat is)
* 2unlimited
* come on barby lets go party
* the blue danube waltz
* J'Taime by Sege Gainsbourg

Justin Toner said:
Boi Akih
Hatebeak
Konono No.1
Jack Rose
And two amazing drummers: Chris Corsano and Chander Sardjoe.

J.

PS. Supersilent cost 3k in fees.
props for konono. 3k? man or astroman are cheaper, i'll just do them instead. 3k???? assholes.

hermie said:
i have to agree with ya there hag.and what's with the whole 'this band will change your life and the way you look at music forever' shit on the cover of their albums?arrogant fucks
ah, that's just oxes-style humour... just kinda badly thought out and ultimately unfunny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back