You know you're getting old.... (1 Viewer)

We learned metric and imperial in tandem at school but i kind just moved myself to mostly metric years ago because imperial is arcane. Also the base measure for inches has been a metric value for decades so it's a complete jerk off at this point.

People in Irelands (yes I mean you but also i'm basing this on driving about 20hrs a week in this country) assumption that the idea is to drive at the speed limit at all times possible really starts to look childish after a few days cycling around the iberian peninsula. I came to the same conclusion last time as well. The portuguese, catalans, spanish, basque drive like adults, and in Ireland people drive like angry, hungry children as a baseline. Like i mean our baseline, basic general approach to driving that we think is normal is actually pretty agressive and irrational.

I've actually kinda started avoiding talking about driving in real life because in Ireland you know the conversation is gonna be essentially based around why the road isn't empty at all times therefore negating the need to interact with others and ending up being in the conversation long enough that i technically validate that doesn't represent my evaluations.

My driving got very dutch influenced a few years ago - in the absence of decent infrastructure, become the infrastructure.

Apparently my father in law has completed his transformation into ferociously angry entitled massive SUV driver. My wife was saying it's incredibly stressful being in the car when he's driving.

People in Irelands (yes I mean you but also i'm basing this on driving about 20hrs a week in this country) assumption that the idea is to drive at the speed limit at all times possible really starts to look childish after a few days cycling around the iberian peninsula. I came to the same conclusion last time as well. The portuguese, catalans, spanish, basque drive like adults, and in Ireland people drive like angry, hungry children as a baseline. Like i mean our baseline, basic general approach to driving that we think is normal is actually pretty agressive and irrational.

I've been driven around in Barcelona and I thought it was a real expression of machismo every time.

Aren't you from Donegal? They're as bad as the Italians up there

We learned metric and imperial in tandem at school but i kind just moved myself to mostly metric years ago because imperial is arcane. Also the base measure for inches has been a metric value for decades so it's a complete jerk off at this point.

I've actually kinda started avoiding talking about driving in real life because in Ireland you know the conversation is gonna be essentially based around why the road isn't empty at all times therefore negating the need to interact with others and ending up being in the conversation long enough that i technically validate that doesn't represent my evaluations.

My driving got very dutch influenced a few years ago - in the absence of decent infrastructure, become the infrastructure.

I have to commend you on reconnecting my post about being old because I just about get imperial to the the car driving tangent.
I do like that me and most of us here are functional at both systems. I think I'm in the sub category of "geriatric millennial", where I can do inches, and also make a mess of a MySpace page. But also aware of them there modren thinggs.

Buying tickets in advance for a show, forgetting, seeing show happened after show, struggling to remember if you even knew about it, realizing you had bought tickets. Repeat.

K

Front seat passenger in a taxi to Prague airport… fuckin YIKES. Terrifying. Also the taxi from Bangkok airport was WILD.
I think Ireland is firmly average on the arsehole driver front. Driving and cycling in France is generally a joy. However, doing the same in Italy was one of the most stressful and terrifying experiences of my life. (though an Italian friend refuses to drive in Ireland because it’s too chaotic versus Rome of all places)

I’ve never driven in the US but Boston is fucking bananas, San Diego was super chill. New York is somewhere in between.

i've never driven in italy but was passenger/navigator for my dad once about 30 years ago. he swore he'd never get behind the wheel of a car in italy ever again, as did i.

Arrived in Buenos Aires, was heading out that night. There was a traffic island in front of the place, with traffic lights, and a crossing.
Shit was looking fairly hectic out in the BA traffic, so waited for the lights, and as I was stepping out onto the crossing a car *rallied past*, at some unreal speed, in the wrong direction on the wrong side of the road, with an island separating him from the right side, with his headlights turned off.

As he hammered off into the raging traffic, he turned his lights back on. I think the idea was if you really want to break the law, just do it with the lights off.

That was about 5 meters from the place I was staying, and it set the tone for the night. BA at least was back then, a lunatic asylum. Like, pretty much an order of magnitude more lunacy than anywhere else I'd encountered, ever.

Told some youngwan to shut up in the cinema earlier. Not paying twenty nine quid to listen to some joker do the LOUD WHISPER TALKING to their mate 4 seats up the row shit.
When I went to see Dune I walked over to a bunch of teenagers and said "Lads, shut the fuck up. People are trying to watch the movie". And they did. And then they left the cinema

I felt very powerful, though also a little bit worried they'd be waiting for me outside afterwards. They weren't. 9 out of 10, would do again

Saying we are average or someone else is worse is exactly what an angry, hungry child would say. QED.
I looked it up, we have the 7th lowest rate of traffic-related deaths in the world at 2.9 per 100,000 people:

I think the wiki is old data but current data from the WHO is backing this up - their site is making my phone shit the bed though.

And while I love to complain about how bad driving is in this country, we’re actually doing pretty good based on the numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back