You know you're getting old.... (2 Viewers)

When (if) I retire early, I'm gonna travel by container boat

You can book a cabin on these things and eat in the mess with the lads.
Just takes ages compared to flying.
AIUI travelling like this is expensive - a hundred-ish quid a day adds up on slow journeys, gonna take 10-ish days to cross the Atlantic. Also I'd be kinda surprised if the food wasn't terrible

I've often daydreamed about doing the cargo boats as well..but tbh I'd be happy with the ferry to Bilbao. I'd say that's class

Took the ferry from Palermo to Napoli earlier this year and I loved it

Something super calming about being on the water

Obviously kill me before I go on a cruise

I give out shit about everyone and everything when I'm in the car.
Every ism and phobia comes out.
If anyone every heard it I would be cancelled immediately.

Having said that I'd fucking love to do this myself, though sailing would be even better

According to current hype, the container ships of the near future will all be sail boats. Or wind assisted anyway.

And I'd bet they've got really good food on those things. Multinational, well travelled crew with calorie burning jobs. And they're there for ages, so they'd make the best of it.

In other old person news, I had to explain 2' to someone several times the other night. We were building a thing, it was all imperial. My man, yes he doesn't get imperial. I struggle with it nowadays , but I grew up with it. But he just didn't get it. Everything was 2' or 4' or 8' or whatever. Simple, I thought.
"Do you see that big number 2 on that measuring tape? There, that's where it goes".
He does it wrong
"but I did 2 foot! Something moved"
I have a look at what he did.

22". Precisely twenty two inches. It was more than a mistake. He just didn't comprehend in any way. Fairplay I guess, imperial is a bit shit.

Last edited:
In other old person news, I had to explain 2' to someone several times the other night. We were building a thing, it was all imperial. My man, yes he doesn't get imperial. I struggle with it nowadays , but I grew up with it. But he just didn't get it. Everything was 2' or 4' or 8' or whatever. Simple, I thought.
"Do you see that big number 2 on that measuring tape? There, that's where it goes".
He does it wrong

22". Precisely twenty two inches. It was more than a mistake. He just didn't comprehend in any way. Fairplay I guess, imperial is a bit shit.

Given the extent that previous generations struggled to grasp metric in these parts I wouldn't be too hard on him.

we were in a paint shop in the blanchardstown centre yesterday. they had a bin of mis-mixed paints, €1 per litre. we grabbed a 2.25l tin and two 250ml tins. the woman behind the counter looked at them and said 'oh, i'll have to get the calculator out for this'. i said 'no need, it's €2.75' and she looked at me like i had two heads. i said 'it's 2.75l, so it's €2.75' but she still got the calculator out and told us it'd be €4.25.

we were in a paint shop in the blanchardstown centre yesterday. they had a bin of mis-mixed paints, €1 per litre. we grabbed a 2.25l tin and two 250ml tins. the woman behind the counter looked at them and said 'oh, i'll have to get the calculator out for this'. i said 'no need, it's €2.75' and she looked at me like i had two heads. i said 'it's 2.75l, so it's €2.75' but she still got the calculator out and told us it'd be €4.25.

Oh god I'd have petty-argued that until I had to remove myself

Did she tap the “or part thereof” bit of the sign?

He does it wrong

Imperial is intuitive for me

I simply can't think in litres and km
I'm always converting
Any sports app or watch or anything I get, is all on miles

I honestly think people are sometimes kidding when they know their car's fuel efficiency in km/l cos I literally can't figure out what that is

I still want to work building temp staging and platforms and the like. Give me my spanners!

i know my car's fuel usage in l/100km. because that's what the dash display uses. would be a bit of mental arithmetic trying to convert that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back