You know you're getting old.... (7 Viewers)

SO many of the older guys I play with have totally lost touch with modern music. There's one lad my age down the pub in Slane who gave up after the White Stripes, never listened to electronic music at all, and is proud of it. I think the difference might be the reason you're into it - if you have a collector's mentality then at some stage most people will just run out of capacity, but if you're into it for the emotional payoff then there's no reason to lose touch

Was it you or someone else on here a few weeks back about how some people kinda try and preserve their youth in amber through music or something to that direction. There's defo a point where it stops being about music and becomes about sentimentality with some people. Like A LOT of people.

Was it you or someone else on here a few weeks back about how some people kinda try and preserve their youth in amber through music or something to that direction. There's defo a point where it stops being about music and becomes about sentimentality with some people. Like A LOT of people.

I still occasionally find myself excited by brilliant new stuff but I don't have the same hunger as when I was younger to go out looking for it.

Probably because I came to realise much of the new stuff that I was excited by when I was younger was only ok, and most of the new stuff now is only ok, but I've lost the patience to wade through the only OK stuff to find the brilliant stuff. And there's also loads and loads of old stuff that I haven't listened to that is widely considered brilliant that I should look in to. There's enough rap out there that I've liked over the years to be confident in saying that I like hip-hop, but I don't "like hip-hop" and should investigate the classics at some point. I've never heard Illmatic.

I'm quite prone to deep-dive obsessive interests and has my interests have changed slightly over the years the focus on being up to date with music seems less pressing than understanding how Arsenal's innovative rest-defence works and the amount of mental energy I have to devote to music is more to do with how do I make time to produce new music myself rather than how do I hear other new music,.

I still occasionally find myself excited by brilliant new stuff but I don't have the same hunger as when I was younger to go out looking for it.

Probably because I came to realise much of the new stuff that I was excited by when I was younger was only ok, and most of the new stuff now is only ok, but I've lost the patience to wade through the only OK stuff to find the brilliant stuff. And there's also loads and loads of old stuff that I haven't listened to that is widely considered brilliant that I should look in to. There's enough rap out there that I've liked over the years to be confident in saying that I like hip-hop, but I don't "like hip-hop" and should investigate the classics at some point. I've never heard Illmatic.

I'm quite prone to deep-dive obsessive interests and has my interests have changed slightly over the years the focus on being up to date with music seems less pressing than understanding how Arsenal's innovative rest-defence works and the amount of mental energy I have to devote to music is more to do with how do I make time to produce new music myself rather than how do I hear other new music,.

yeah - I'm down to at most 2-3 true discoveries a year at this point.

and 100% on some music you loved in the past sounding only ok in the present. although its 50:50 with me really

I got that while watching the Stone ROses movie
There were all these lads in it talking about how beautiful the S/T was and what a clasisc album and how perfect it was and life-changing, and they were really just talking about being 21
Or that's how it looked to me anyways
I've loads of friends like that, stuck in a particular gear. Only listen to the same stuff.
I like new stuff when it hits, but the thing with music is there's soooo much of it out there.
There's stuff that's old, but it just new to you.
I'm listening to about 6 albums or playlists for shows at a time, and one gets changed every few weeks. Works for me.

I just think that when you're older, you do it for the enjoyment. You're not trying to define yourself with it anymore. Or set yourself apart.
And you've loved and lost and won been hurt, and old songs have greater resonance. Like I think there's a lot more to be had in Nina Simone when you're older than when you're younger.
Anyways. Can't shut up, as ever.

At this point I mostly like to listen to stuff that has never hit my ears before. Old, new, doesn't matter. Will I ever hear it again? that also doesn't matter.
there is more great undiscovered (by my ears) music of all genres out there than there is contemporary stuff (of which there is as much as ever).
But it is far easier to check out an old genre than sort through huge amounts of current stuff that we haven't written the history of yet.
it's still a huge novelty to me to listen to old electronic music, middle eastern trad and psych, old soundtracks, library music, some electric jazz or whatever else. It was very difficult to access most of this back in the 20th century.
now it's so easy.

since the start of the year between CDs, LPs, 7''s and demos, I've already bought nearly 50 things.

now as far as the music I listened to when a school teen 30 years ago goes (mostly Sonic Youth, Pixies stuff) it has huge nostalgia appeal but mostly not much else for me now. my SY tapes went in the mid 90's.
Actually Thurston Moore often features in docs and writes pieces about old HC punk, noise, underground metal, post punk bands that love - the old buff knows his stuff.

Simon Reynolds' 2011 book Retromania: Pop Culture's Addiction To It's Own Past, deals with modern nostalgia culture and particularly how technology have encouraged it. Very well researched and lots of great music both famous and obscure comes up.

Having to learn new things on the computer in work...I dunno, I think my brain is full at this stage.
I have to write out the steps and read them every time. select this, tick that ect....just can't remember this.
shit.

Having to learn new things on the computer in work...I dunno, I think my brain is full at this stage.
I have to write out the steps and read them every time. select this, tick that ect....just can't remember this.
shit.
Shit UI/UX design to blame there

The View, a band I haven't thought of since they were 2007's " next big thing" are in the news for having a fist fight on stage. They've got so old.

Which makes me feel ancient.

The View, a band I haven't thought of since they were 2007's " next big thing" are in the news for having a fist fight on stage. They've got so old.

Which makes me feel ancient.

Their image has changed a lot since 2007.

the-view-photo-10-08-19.jpg

as a teen 30 years ago I thought adults overwhelmingly didn't have any more of a clue what they were doing (if not less) than I did.
they just thought (or pretended) that they did.
I still think that is the case.

the only thing I've got on youngsters is more experience but that is only any good if you learn from mistakes. A lot of people make big decisions with very little thought and repeat the same shit over and over - this is entirely normal behaviour.
fortunately learning from mistakes is one of my few talents and it saved me from having a shit life,

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back