You know you're getting old.... (5 Viewers)

I actually thought he was younger when he died, I only really knew him as someone my uncles and aunts listened to at the time of his death.

Age catches up on us all. Even Reef

Reef-1-950x542.jpg

Eating lunch earlier, the young shipmates were just dossing around, all good.

I switched on the tv to have something to watch. The younglings are bemused by "normal television".
Sky Arts. Fleetwood Mac and friends performing live I say, having immediately recognised which particular grey haired/bald millionaire we were looking at. I do think it's complete wank, I say, to stay on their good side. Also, it is.

"Is that Johnny Depp?"
"No that's Steve Tyler"
silence

"What's a David Gilmour".

Then I flicked onto to something else, which happened to be Labyrinth. I explained what that was. They got the Escher bit, but nothing else.

I was talking to an old guy from a place called Tamworth the other night who told me he saw Rory Gallagher 3 times in Birmingham in the 70s and they were the best gigs he'd ever been to. And this dude has been to some amount of gigs.

I don't know where I'm going with this,I still felt old,even though I wasn't as old as him.

And my knees are banjaxed today from all the standing at gigs.

I was talking to an old guy from a place called Tamworth the other night who told me he saw Rory Gallagher 3 times in Birmingham in the 70s and they were the best gigs he'd ever been to. And this dude has been to some amount of gigs.

I don't know where I'm going with this,I still felt old,even though I wasn't as old as him.

And my knees are banjaxed today from all the standing at gigs.

I asked a session musician friend who's about sixty "Do all the hip hot young muso's you meet ever gang up on you for being old and not down with the cool new music?"
"I do know my modern music, mate" He replied, unimpressed.
"But, you know, do they ever slag you off for being old? What do tell them when they do?"
"They do try sometimes, but usually I'll just say something like 'Well, I've seen Led Zepellin live, so fuck you'".

There's advantages to being old.

SO many of the older guys I play with have totally lost touch with modern music. There's one lad my age down the pub in Slane who gave up after the White Stripes, never listened to electronic music at all, and is proud of it. I think the difference might be the reason you're into it - if you have a collector's mentality then at some stage most people will just run out of capacity, but if you're into it for the emotional payoff then there's no reason to lose touch

The last 3 or 4 years I'm definitely struggling to find newer music / bands I'm really into.
First world problems...

Gigs as well.....just not that interested.

The last 3 or 4 years I'm definitely struggling to find newer music / bands I'm really into.
First world problems...

Gigs as well.....just not that interested.
For a while I definitely was, but the last few years I'm finding tons of new stuff I love.
Was either mid life malaise being distracted by rearing two kids or things were just a bit shit for a while

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back