You know you're getting old.... (4 Viewers)

I actually find this all quite interesting.

In and around my local, there's loads of younglings who would call themselves punks. I say in and around because a lot of them drink cans around the corner and then come into the pub to watch free live punk music. Which I don't think is punk.

There's loads of olders too, who I seem to gravitate more to (maybe I'm getting old). They certainly all have had more punkish lives than any of the younglings. The olders may not look like punks now, but the drinks they pay for at the bar pay for everything else. I'd like it if the younglings bought at least one pint. Then they'd at least have a glass that they could use to pour their cans into, and then think no one has noticed. Amateurs. Amateur Punks.

A while ago I was working with a (when he was young) very punky boss, and there was a punky looking youngling doing punky looking things working next to us. My boss went "I bet you know so-and-so person who is about your age that we know". Young man was impressed.
"Yeah I do actually, how did you know that?"
"Well you're wearing the uniform"
what did these folks dress like? what bands did they listen too?

I mean, why do many people wear sportswear or make up? It's not important.

there is a long history of unremarkable looking people playing very noisy music. the music is what's important, people can wear what they want. music tribalism is mostly gone for a long time - it was huge 40+ years ago.

there is a long history of unremarkable looking people playing very noisy music. the music is what's important, people can wear what they want. music tribalism is mostly gone for a long time - it was huge 40+ years ago.
I'd say the music that is played live is only 51% of what's important, people can wear what they want but they can't pretend no one will see them. Either make make an effort to have an image to fit the music or can just release your music as anonymous mp3s with no artwork. Unremarkably dressed people making insane noise music is a decision.

Here, I have a meme for this

20220405_091314~2.jpg

I remember my first time seeing nomeansno live having only heard them on tape and wondering who the fuck these auld lads were, wandering around the New Inn. Then they got on stage.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nomeansno_Peoples_Choice.jpg

I toy with the idea that there is only one punk rock song and that's Anarchy in the UK, everything else is proto or post punk or something else entirely.

I remember my first time seeing nomeansno live having only heard them on tape and wondering who the fuck these auld lads were, wandering around the New Inn. Then they got on stage.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If I met most of the thumped folks for some reason I'd still expect them to look under 35

So it's just power pop with shite vocals?
It's a purely London based media invention that was concocted to wind people up and is still doing so almost 50 years later. Through the medium of power pop with shite vocals.

It's a purely London based media invention that was concocted to wind people up and is still doing so almost 50 years later. Through the medium of power pop with shite vocals.

Can't argue with that at all. Punk has now been definitively defined.

Everyone can move on to the various forms of R'N'B now.

My semi genuine understanding is power pop started as the Who's first album, became Big Star's first album, and finally settled into endless retreads of I Wanna Hold Your Hand. How off is that?

New Wave was a loose term that was being thrown about liberally for a few years until it was co-opted wholly by marketing to sell punk to middle America. It's probably the EASIEST to define.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back