You know you're getting old.... (3 Viewers)

I did answer them, you just dont like the answer.
you said there were only two countries on the punk song thread. there was eight. music is played all over the world.
I don't think you have much of an idea what you're talking about.

why is punk any more restrictive than say singer song writer music?

I dunno.

I went on that best punk thread thing and it was a range of about two countries, 4 instruments and about 6 years. I like to joke about it because for what it set out to be, its one of the most restrictive and exclusive genres of music. It is funny like. It is a bit condescending too sometimes. The the punks all have their own little brand names and uniforms and social codes and really its all about sentimentality. bless.
Show me on the doll where the punk hurt you

I'm not punk enough to talk about punk. Sorry for breaking the rules of punk :(.

In my uneducated perception the whole idea of punk was you didn't need to have great chops and with a few cheap instruments could make great music that spoke of the time and talks about things the charts are afraid of. These days kids do that with laptops and electronics, with hip hop they did it with samples and twenty other youth music movements have done it since, and although it has all the qualities that punk originated from, it cant be respected as punk on the basis of not fitting with a few paramaters and a dress code.

To me this is an observable 'humans are funny creatures' moment. Point on the doll where your punk moment was better than any other youth movement and you cant see the musical kinship. You do get the same with other genres but jesus like, we've been discussion the need to define one punk band from another by country because the scope of 'punk' band names has that much overlap.

The days of it being a creative thing are long gone, now we can look at like anything else and enjoy the music but also not be wildly precious about it all, because its funny

I'm not punk enough to talk about punk. Sorry for breaking the rules of punk :(.

In my uneducated perception the whole idea of punk was you didn't need to have great chops and with a few cheap instruments could make great music that spoke of the time and talks about things the charts are afraid of. These days kids do that with laptops and electronics, with hip hop they did it with samples and twenty other youth music movements have done it since, and although it has all the qualities that punk originated from, it cant be respected as punk on the basis of not fitting with a few paramaters and a dress code.

To me this is an observable 'humans are funny creatures' moment. Point on the doll where your punk moment was better than any other youth movement and you cant see the musical kinship. You do get the same with other genres but jesus like, we've been discussion the need to define one punk band from another by country because the scope of 'punk' band names has that much overlap.

The days of it being a creative thing are long gone, now we can look at like anything else and enjoy the music but also not be wildly precious about it all, because its funny
rap and electronic music are great! and they are old school too.

I am listening to a Pierre Henry record from 1969 now. I tried to get a ticket for Death Grips last Friday (they must have been sold out within 80 mins unfortunately).
I never said punk was the best youth culture or have dressed 'punk' or called myself a punk.
lots of completely different music is equally amazing.

ever heard DISORDER (the Bristol band that sparked this digression) 80's records?
they're great but if you don't like them that's OK.

if you don't like punk music and think it's funny - that's fine! some of it is supposed to be funny.

this is the real issue:
a one point you said three things about the ''MOST punk song ever'' thread which were factually wrong. this doesn't seem to bother you.
you made statements about the punk genre which were sweeping generalisations at best which I had followed up.

if you had said the same stuff about any other genre I know I would have done the same.

Pierre Henry still sounds cool over 50 years later. lots of the best music I hear is old especially from non western cultures. but it's new too me and that makes it exciting.

any genre that has been around for decades will decline in originality - that's true.
but to single out one that you don't know well was the issue.

that's all - unless you want to say anything else. best wishes to you.

Punk's dead or fossilised because recognisable conformity is mostly dead
There's nothing to rail against - the horror of the 70s was a job for life and a mortgage.

Now you can wear a mohawk to your job, and flaunt all your tattoos and piercings, and no one GAF

The sound has been co-opted by any number of acts, so you get into the kind of arguments about who's a punk and who's not that the swimmers and people with DryRobes have. This has been baked in since the idea of part-time punks. Who's authentic and who's not? Everyone thinks they are. Shitheads are in the eye of the beholder.

The ability to make and distribute music has been democratised to an almost unimaginable degree - there's never been more ways to get your three chords and the truth out there. Or three donks and the truth or whatever you're having yourself.

In many ways punk won, individuality is the culture's godhead. Everyone's a sneering badass and cocking a middle finger, but at what?
In many ways punk lost, because capitalism is pretty much the air we breathe - and a primary complaint of twentysomethings is wanting a mortgage and a job with security.

ETA - I wrote this while on the phone on a work call. So don't come at me.

There's nothing to rail against - the horror of the 70s was a job for life and a mortgage.

Now you can wear a mohawk to your job, and flaunt all your tattoos and piercings, and no one GAF

The sound has been co-opted by any number of acts, so you get into the kind of arguments about who's a punk and who's not that the swimmers and people with DryRobes have. This has been baked in since the idea of part-time punks. Who's authentic and who's not? Everyone thinks they are. Shitheads are in the eye of the beholder.

The ability to make and distribute music has been democratised to an almost unimaginable degree - there's never been more ways to get your three chords and the truth out there. Or three donks and the truth or whatever you're having yourself.

In many ways punk won, individuality is the culture's godhead. Everyone's a sneering badass and cocking a middle finger, but at what?
In many ways punk lost, because capitalism is pretty much the air we breathe - and a primary complaint of twentysomethings is wanting a mortgage and a job with security.

Sellout.

Just realised that Punk is basically an aesthetic, layered on top of hippy beliefs.
Like if you were to remove the set of hippy beliefs from punk there'd be fuck all left.

But punk was a reaction against hippy culture in a way.

Massively out of my depth here. I wrote this on a dial up phone from the fifties, I had to ring the operator and dictate it to her, and she put it through for me.

A if they picked up and you wanted them to hear you

B if they didn't answer and you wanted your 10p back
I never knew that.

There was one of those phones in our school, and someone told us about getting free phone calls with tapping. We weren't sure how to tap, we were told some numbers were free, and some numbers you'd have to frantically click the receiver button yoke on top.

We'd all be around, hammering the shite out of the receiver anyway, some kids dialing numbers, everyone shouting advice, and eventually we'd actually get through to some poor unfortunate. Then we'd usually panic, or get the kid holding the receiver to say something, but that kid would be bricking it too because everything got way too real. So we'd have to flee the scene.

A if they picked up and you wanted them to hear you

B if they didn't answer and you wanted your 10p back
Me throwing out quality phone history

logansrun07.jpg

I used to "tap" phones all the time back in the 80s/90s. Somehow it bypassed the payment mechanism in those old phone boxes. Never worked on the newer ones

Yeah, that was the plan. Free phone calls! We just struggled with defining who the free phone call was actually made to. But on the other hand, we didn't have anyone to ring other than our Ma basically, since the other kids would be in school too.

It was an ancient yoke that was pulled out of the place fairly soon, but a surprising amount of entertainment was extracted from The Phone to the extent that we'd get bollocked out of it if teachers saw us hanging around where the phone was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back