Yoor top 5 songwriters (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 144
  • Views 9K
  • Watchers 4
I FUCKING LOVE BEETHOVEN.

Don't know any of his lyrics but.Only ever heard his instrumental records.Which arent songs.Ye smartypants A.M.

001_Beethoven.jpg

roy harper is obviously miles ahead of everyone else

dylans good songs are amazing e.g first half of blood on the tracks.
joni mitchell maybe
neil & tim finn of course

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

or Woody Guthrie?

Kris Kristoferson, Willie nelson..

or those guys that did The Rock and Roll kids?

Ah but "The Town I loved so well" and The bay City Rollers...

the defense rests

But, can I suggest we don't turn this into a pro and con Phil Coulter thread?

I have Phil's own performance of 'The town..' on 'A Feast of Irish Folk' compilation - I would say without reservation that it's one of the worst vocal performances I've ever heard on record by someone who meets the minimum criteria of social normality.

Some of my fave ladies not yet mentioned

Rosie out of Pram
Laura Nyro
Danielle Dax (before the pop ambition kicked in)
Stina Nordenstam

I have Phil's own performance of 'The town..' on 'A Feast of Irish Folk' compilation - I would say without reservation that it's one of the worst vocal performances I've ever heard on record by someone who meets the minimum criteria of social normality.

I've heard it- brutal

Jimmy Webb is no nightingale either..

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've heard it- brutal

Jimmy Webb is no nightingale either..

YouTube - JIMMY WEBB PERFORMING LIVE WICHITA LINEMAN ON JOOLS HOLLAND

Why Jimmy insisted on making performance a priority after his success as a writer is still a bit of a mystery to me. The consistent commercial failure of his solo records and his dogged insistence on carrying on is up there with the great follies of history. I'm grateful that he did tho...

is this the same comp with "The Banks of Claudy" by Munroe as the last track? i love that song

No, maybe it's a 'festival of..' - memory failing again. The mind-melting 'Wind in the willows' by Spud is another featured prize turkey .. it's like someone explaining a joke over and over and over and over, and you already got it and it wasn't very funny!

no top 5 with me.

my top 5 detractions are:

the brill building for being a factory. a song factory. of course its great that all those people were in there, but nobody credits toyota engineers in quite the same way, yet they can shift units like nobody's business.

dylan for being more the song compiler the the songwriter. ask the clancy's and woodie guthrie. more the folk singer at heart, torch bearing and whatnot.

ray davies. very smarmy writer.

prince for writing too much and only appealing to me when i was seven. probably for being a bit like micheal jackson.

lennon and mccartney, musical equivalent of the 1966 world cup and d-day all rolled into two.

I love the idea of brill building (or i guess more accurately 1650 broadway) going in every day and sitting down in a cubicle composing songs. I see it as honest and almost noble work over pretentious self conscious 'art'. Plus you can't do anything without at least a bit of yourself going into it. The idea of a seven year old me liking prince or any kind of sex fuelled pop is beyond comprehension though.....

I've written posts for this thread a few times and decided not to post.
I think this is an incredibly hard list to make. If I'm 100% honest, then my favourite songwriter is Elvis Costello by a country mile. That's because he has written scores of songs that I absolutely love and hundreds that I like.
But I say him for every "what's your favourite" question and I'm getting self-conscious about it.

I like many of the songs of Bob Pollard, Lennon & McCartney, Rogers & Hart/Hammerstein, Difford & Tilbrook, Morrissey & Marr, Luke Haines, George Gershwin, Lou Reed, Dave Bowie, Edwyn Collins, Bruce Springsteen, Nick Cave, Grant McLennan, Robert Forster, Lionel Bart, John Sebastian, Stephin Merritt, Ray Davies, Jagger & Richards, Smokey Robinson, Burt Bacharach, etc, etc, etc.
All of this thread except for some of it.

All of this thread except for some of it.

I'm feeling the same way meself now.I'm not mad about Costello.I'll sound like a flute here but I love his early stuff.
Now I just wanna break his glasses and pull that stupid hat down over his head Three Stooges style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back