Yoor top 5 songwriters (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 144
  • Views 9K
  • Watchers 4
I'm feeling the same way meself now.I'm not mad about Costello.I'll sound like a flute here but I love his early stuff.
Now I just wanna break his glasses and pull that stupid hat down over his head Three Stooges style.

Ah yeah, he mostly writes by-the-numbers bollox these days, normally without a real tune, but sometimes he comes up with the goods. The Delivery Man from a couple of years ago was full of great songs.
Anyway, enough about him.

Yeah lets not turn this into a Prince versus Elvis Costello thread.

Elvis Costello is pretty great, in furnace. I used to be his biggest fan but I think he suffered from writing too much - is that possible? That Burt Bacharach album, didn't like it.

Also, speaking of Bacharach, he's not actually a songwriter, is he? Poor old Hal David. And poor old Boz Boorer.

why is everyone in this thread afraid of being accused of voicing an opinion?

Can I remind people that it says "yoor" top 5 which I presume means your top five so it's your choice not a concensus who's the actual best. Jaysus I sound like a cock, soryy bout that.

GG woulda been nothing without the Murder Junkies.

Very hard to pick a Top 5, but these guys would be in the shake-up

Lou Barlow
Will Oldham
Norman Blake
Syd Barrett
John Fogerty

I would say. by and large other people perform his songs better than he does. Hendrix, and especially The Byrds got Dylan's songs and took time to arrange and produce them into something special.

What he said. I also love Patti Smith's versions of Dylan songs, and all those cheesy 60s easy listening versions that turn up on lounge compilations.

Anyone mention Lee Hazlewood or Kate Bush yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back