Worst hipster bands ever (2 Viewers)

20. The Black Keys Some catchy tunes. The albums don't last long on rotation on my iPod.
19. TV On The Radio Okay. Disappointing live. Critics darlings more than hipsters.
18. Sleigh Bells A couple of fun tracks on comps. Fun.
17. Fun. Never heard of these fuckers.
16. MGMT Deadly first album I thought. You could tell it was a sound with limited career potential though
15. Death Cab For Cutie I like Postal Service.
14. Wavves I think I remember wanting to hear these guys once.
13. The Decemberists Boring, off-putting cunts. Fat singer that pretends he's not fat.
12. Pomplamoose No idea.
11. Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros Some deadly songs alright.
10. White Rabbits No clue.
9. Beach House I liked the album initially. Then I realised it was dull.
8. The Airborne Toxic Event Only know the name.
7. Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti No clue
6. Beirut For the right mood, these guys are great.
5. Grizzly Bear Okay
4. Bright Eyes Hipster? Isn't 'Wide Awake' just a fantastic record?
3. Arcade Fire Embarrassingly loved these guys around the Funeral record. Haven't listened to them in probably 3 years.
2. tUne-yArDs I fucking loved that last record. Great for the bike.
1. Bon Iver I am of the opinion that because I already have Bonnie Prince Billy records that I don't need to ever listen to this guy.

That's 12/20 for me liking on some level.

More hipster than thou.

The worrying thing is the ones not in the 12, are generally ones I have not heard of.

So I perhaps should be living in Brooklyn.

erm, this is just a vague list of popular indie bands of the last 10 years, and not a very imaginative one at that. as a list of 20 bands they have nothing else in common. i dont know what brooklyn is supposed to have to do with it.

what's actually quite amusing though is that because the word 'hipster' is used, people on a music forum are actively pointing out that they haven't heard some of them.

very bored of hearing about 'hipsters' these days. the word means absolutely fuck-all.

I know them when I see them.

I think it's also shorthand for a detached, ironic engagement with culture in general and an adherence to Pitchfork in musical matters.

Williamsburg in Brooklyn is hipster ground zero if the internet is to be believed.

yeah, and williamsburg had a music scene 10 years ago, before it became too expensive for bands to find spaces for rehearsals. maybe 3 of the bands on that list were involved, if that.

i understand perfectly that hipsters apparently are defined by a detached, ironic engagement with culture, but I fail to see why or how that is connected to this list of 20 popular indie bands from the last 10 years. furthermore, I think that almost everybody over the age of 18 with a passing interest in popular culture has a detached and ironic attitude to it. in fact I think the majority of posts on this website indicate a detached, ironic engagement.

I am also familiar with the idea that hipsters dress a certain way - loud clothes, american apparel etc. but that was only what was fashionable for teens and students about 5 years ago. there is nothing special or new about young people dressing outlandishly or acting pretentiously. I think the idea of the 'hipster' actually referred to young people who adopted what was then new forms of social media - facebook, twitter, foursquare etc - quicker than the general population. now that your granny and your boss are on facebook, the phenomenon has mysteriously evaporated.

seems that now we're actually at the point where any new band is denounced as 'hipster', with po-faced gravitas by people desperately worried about being labelled 'hipster'. that is depressing as fuck.

Williamsburg in Brooklyn is hipster ground zero if the internet is to be believed.

Maybe 10 years ago. Shoreditch was far worse for ridiculous looking people faffing about the last time I was there. Not far from Bethnal Green I do believe, no wonder you're sick of hearing about it oh shit!

That girl with the socks makes up for it all.Nothing depressing about her.

what's actually quite amusing though is that because the word 'hipster' is used, people on a music forum are actively pointing out that they haven't heard some of them.

I doubt that has anything to do with the presence of the word hipster. Headline could have easily be "20 bands you must hear before you die" type shit.

yeah, and williamsburg had a music scene 10 years ago, before it became too expensive for bands to find spaces for rehearsals. maybe 3 of the bands on that list were involved, if that.

I think it's more that the people in BK would like these bands rather than they're from there. And the knock on BK bands is that they are trustafarians anyway so expensive practice space isn't always an issue. They're all playing synth anyway.

i understand perfectly that hipsters apparently are defined by a detached, ironic engagement with culture, but I fail to see why or how that is connected to this list of 20 popular indie bands from the last 10 years. furthermore, I think that almost everybody over the age of 18 with a passing interest in popular culture has a detached and ironic attitude to it. in fact I think the majority of posts on this website indicate a detached, ironic engagement.

Exactly. The word doesn't mean fuck-all.

I always post here 100% honestly or blatantly trying to make myself laugh.

I am also familiar with the idea that hipsters dress a certain way - loud clothes, american apparel etc. but that was only what was fashionable for teens and students about 5 years ago. there is nothing special or new about young people dressing outlandishly or acting pretentiously. I think the idea of the 'hipster' actually referred to young people who adopted what was then new forms of social media - facebook, twitter, foursquare etc - quicker than the general population. now that your granny and your boss are on facebook, the phenomenon has mysteriously evaporated.

seems that now we're actually at the point where any new band is denounced as 'hipster', with po-faced gravitas by people desperately worried about being labelled 'hipster'. that is depressing as fuck

I agree with this. But sometimes it is fun to hate on hipsters (as they are commonly perceived) because we're lazy and need a laugh.

Maybe 10 years ago. Shoreditch was far worse for ridiculous looking people faffing about the last time I was there. Not far from Bethnal Green I do believe, no wonder you're sick of hearing about it oh shit!

you'd be forgiven for thinking so, but it seems to pop up on the internet more than in the real world.

We're only bulling cos half of us are too old to be hip anymore.

Shit damn..I even think headphones are cool now.

I'm fucked.

seems that now we're actually at the point where any new band is denounced as 'hipster', with po-faced gravitas by people desperately worried about being labelled 'hipster'. that is depressing as fuck.

It was a lazy, stupid article though. No argument there at all.

I'm thinking of encouraging my bandmates to wear Argyle jumpers

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back