why do women take so fucking long to do everything??? (1 Viewer)

Um. Huh?

Fucking hell.

How come when a man does something prickish, he's just a prick, but when a woman takes ages paying for her groceries, she is seen as representative of all women?

People just notice when women are causing them to have to wait for something more than they do men. In a study a few years ago, the researchers gave a 2-person script to three sets of people: two men, two women, and a man and a woman. In the script, each speaker spoke for exactly the same amount of time. They then asked listeners to determine if, for the script, any one person talked more than the other. Those listening to the single-sex conversation judged that each person talked the same amount. Almost all of those who listened to the mixed-sex conversation believed that the woman had talked more than the man.

These are internal cultural assumptions. But apparently, jokey sexism is just a joke, which means that we're not allowed to be pissed off because, hey hey, if we are, we just don't get the joke and are thus an object of ridicule ourselves.

A lovely example of what Jane is talking about here. Bonsai Superstar was showing me some threads on a football message board about this - a few posters made reference to how good in bed she could be.
God, my blood is actually boiling.

"After more than 40 years of male domination, "Match of the Day" will get its first female commentator on Saturday in a move that has left some football die-hards crying foul.

Jacqui Oatley, 32, will make television history when she picks up the microphone for the BBC's flagship football show at the Premier League game between Fulham and Blackburn.

While most in football welcomed her arrival in one of TV's last male bastions, critics said it smacked of political correctness and would undermine the BBC's credibility.

"I am totally against it and everybody I know in football is totally against it," former Sheffield United and Wimbledon manager Dave Bassett told newspapers. "The problem is that everybody is too scared to admit it.

"I knew this would happen eventually. The world of football is so politically correct these days."
Daily Mail football writer Steve Curry also saw red, complaining that "Oatley's excited voice sounds like a fire siren".
"I am from the old school when football press boxes and commentary positions were men-only locations and the thought of a female commenting on football was abhorrent," he wrote.

Her move into the Craven Cottage commentary box is an insult to the likes of John Motson, the BBC commentator famous for his sheepskin coat, he added.
Curry and Bassett found little support in the dozens of Internet chatrooms devoted to football. Many said the row was a fuss over nothing, given Oatley's record on BBC Radio 5 Live.

"Any woman that can relieve my ears from the tedious old-man droning of John Motson ... may well have a place in commentating," wrote one contributor.
Roger Mosey, the BBC's head of sport, said the lack of female commentators on TV and radio was "daft".
"It is something we want to put right," he said. "Jacqui, like all our other commentators, has been selected on merit."

A lovely example of what Jane is talking about here. Bonsai Superstar was showing me some threads on a football message board about this - a few posters made reference to how good in bed she could be.
God, my blood is actually boiling.

"After more than 40 years of male domination, "Match of the Day" will get its first female commentator on Saturday in a move that has left some football die-hards crying foul.

Jacqui Oatley, 32, will make television history when she picks up the microphone for the BBC's flagship football show at the Premier League game between Fulham and Blackburn.

While most in football welcomed her arrival in one of TV's last male bastions, critics said it smacked of political correctness and would undermine the BBC's credibility.

"I am totally against it and everybody I know in football is totally against it," former Sheffield United and Wimbledon manager Dave Bassett told newspapers. "The problem is that everybody is too scared to admit it.

"I knew this would happen eventually. The world of football is so politically correct these days."
Daily Mail football writer Steve Curry also saw red, complaining that "Oatley's excited voice sounds like a fire siren".
"I am from the old school when football press boxes and commentary positions were men-only locations and the thought of a female commenting on football was abhorrent," he wrote.

Her move into the Craven Cottage commentary box is an insult to the likes of John Motson, the BBC commentator famous for his sheepskin coat, he added.
Curry and Bassett found little support in the dozens of Internet chatrooms devoted to football. Many said the row was a fuss over nothing, given Oatley's record on BBC Radio 5 Live.

"Any woman that can relieve my ears from the tedious old-man droning of John Motson ... may well have a place in commentating," wrote one contributor.
Roger Mosey, the BBC's head of sport, said the lack of female commentators on TV and radio was "daft".
"It is something we want to put right," he said. "Jacqui, like all our other commentators, has been selected on merit."

INCREDIBLE.

How can a woman commentate on football? She's a WOMAN for Christ's sake! It's an INSULT!

INCREDIBLE.

How can a woman commentate on football? She's a WOMAN for Christ's sake! It's an INSULT!

i tuned in especially to see (hear) this, and i'm pleased to report she's every bit as annoying and cliched as her male counterparts.
always liked her on 5 live but tv does something to people... they should let stuart hall do it, he's fucking hilarious

Do there need to be?

I dont know. But if there was, i'd imagine at some point there'd be much sniffing and tut-tutting by the more serious fans, er, sorry, feminists at whatever match, sorry, conference he was playing/speaking at.

Jesus i'm drunk.

now let's all relax with some etta baker

[media]http://www.floridamemory.com/Collections/folklife/mps/Baker.mp3[/media]

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back