Whiskey / Whisky appreciation thread (1 Viewer)

platters

Website
www.myspace.com
I'm a Powers man myself. Used to be Jamie, but somehow I got fed up with it.

I want to buy something really good for the auld fella and perhaps for myself. I saw Tyrellconnell being mentioned in another thread. How does that compare to likes of Jamie or Powers? Whats the best in your opinion?

The best I've had is Oban scotch.

The ones I've tasted from the Cooley Distillery (Tyrconnell etc.) are the best Irish whiskies I've tasted.

A decent single malt is incredible.

Wild Turkey is the nicest American Whiskey I've had.

My experience is limited.

still have to try some green spot, my boss keeps on about it. i like tyrconnell, not so sold on bushmills.

my boss has a bottle of hennessy whiskey - produced by cooley under licence, for the japanese market.

yeah, might give that Tyrconnell a go

IMO a good scotch is a hell of a lot nicer than any Irish I've tasted. I usually put ice with mine. Is this frowned upon by seasoned scotch drinkers?

i was coming through düsseldorf airport recently, and they had a barrel out with about eight open bottles of scotch - a 'help yourself' bonanza. cheapest bottle was about €40 - so abuot €80 here, probably. i tried one pricey one and it was like drinking an ashtray.

Where's good for buying whiskey in Dublin? As in good selection at a reasonable price? I bought a bottle of Green Spot for the father-in-law last year in the Celtic Whiskey Store on Dawson St., but (not really knowing anything about these things) I have no idea if I paid way over the odds or not (I want to get him another bottle this year, but I'll have a bit longer to shop around).

My current favourite is Redbreast 15, which has replaced Middleton Very Rare as my birthday treat of choice.

Pub drinking I tend to go for Jameson.

Blend of choice for home consumption at the moment is Ballentines finest, which is slightly smokey without being harsh.

Love both redbreast & Middleton.

had this swedish whiskey recently called Lagavulin. Crazy, crazy shit. Smelt like bleach. tasted like.... i cant remember. My mate swears by it..

had this swedish whiskey recently called Lagavulin. Crazy, crazy shit. Smelt like bleach. tasted like.... i cant remember. My mate swears by it..

It's Scottish! Tastes like Listerin at first, but it's very nice.

Going to treat myself to a nice bottle over Christmas. Was in Tesco in Belfast and they are piss cheap.

It's Scottish! Tastes like Listerin at first, but it's very nice.

Going to treat myself to a nice bottle over Christmas. Was in Tesco in Belfast and they are piss cheap.

haha goes to show how fucked i was that night....maybe he purchased it in Sweden.

I need to get my christmas whiskey in too....hmmm

I'm boycotting Jameson cos their latest ad campaign is for cunts (however I have lapsed last Friday). Otherwise I'd recommend Crested 10 and 12 year.

Other Whisk(e)ys I like include:
Maker's Mark
Jim Beam (especially Black)
The Belvanie
Iona
Paddy
Power's

Ah fug it, I'll drink any and all of them.

You should probably ask nonemoreblack as he works in that aforementioned whiskey shop on Dawson Street and pretends to know about whiskey and stuff....

Although as far as I'm concerned Tescos Jack Daniels knock off, Smokey Jim's is the way to go.

unbranded-smokey-jims-70cl-bottle.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back