Where do *you* get your music? (1 Viewer)

just started the soulseek yesterday, quality stuff, can usually find what i want without queuing.

some crazy slow connections occasionally though - will be waiting 3hrs for a mark eitzel track...

yeah, the last cds i bought were all from independent companies, matador, barsuk, acuarela...
that would make them just plain thieves, instead of bastards who deprive artists of even the small percentage of royalties they get from cd sales.

i think if you steal a bands album you should be obligated to give them the $2 you stole from them over their website or something.

ostrichsyndrome said:
instead of bastards who deprive artists of even the small percentage of royalties they get from cd sales.
thats exactly why i have a problem forking over 20 yoyo for an album. approx 50 cents of that 20 quid goes to the artist, the remainder goes straight to the record company's bottom line or the record company exec's waistline. i know its not a solution but for me its absolutely preferable that the record company not get my money and the artist get shafted than the record company getting my money and the artist getting shafted.

i buy my fair share of music. approx 50/50. so i'm not a die hard advocate of "music theft" or ripping the artists off. bands need to (and some have already) adopt a model whereby neither they themselves or their fans get shafted by the machine. selling tunes for a quid a pop on the net or selling the music directly to the public themselves ala dischord is far preferable than allowing both themselves and their fans to be fleeced by big business.

ostrichsyndrome said:
music thieves
nyeh! no guilt here.

I'm perfectly happy to pay for something i like, but most of the stuff i'm after is too hard to find in shops/deleted/bootlegged etc. Some of this is stuff i used to own and lost/lent/had stolen, and some of it is things i'd like to check out and may never buy.

I tried to order a blast of stuff off of Hydra Head there while back, they've a big site up where they tell you how much to send them and they'll send you out your stuff, so anyway I sent in the requisite amount by draft in a registered letter and all, about five months and several unanswered emails later I cashed back my draft. You'd think the fuckers didn't want money or something.

hey gary where's that car boot sale, thats actually a point, what places are good for vinyl, other than the usual dublin record shops, im counting secret book record store/ city disc/ road/ freebird (which is a fuckin rip off for second hand vinyl these days)/ spindizzy (can be excellant sometimes, found a St Vitus record there a few months ago!)/ murder city (at last!)/ record collector etc, anyone know any good markets other than the blackberry or blackrock ones, charity shops that generally carry vinyl? Places outside the obvious?

Anyone got any hints for a sap who likes spending his days off work trying to find blues and 80's metal/cock rock records, and everything in between?

swingkid said:
.........and
viva la vinyl for the real record trading nerds
I can also vouch for this - most of records i`ve been getting over the last year have been via trading.
Trade your unwanted Stone Roses 12" for those VSS records etc...
Perfect if you don`t want to be spending loads of money on records.

Last records from this were:
Joy Divisions-Unknown Pleasures lp & Guyver One-Obsessed with...lp - SCORE!

how would we go about setting up a compilation CD collective on thumped.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. Say, you had to pick 1 song by artists on thumped to make a compilation, what would that be like? And it wouldn't need to be limited to say 1 or 2 CDs worth. It could be like those ads that used to be on eurosport where it was a 6 CD set of sixties music (and you get a CD of elvis christmas songs free).

hmmm, must think about this, cos theres a lot to ponder.

Where do people get most of their music these days? And whats the deciding factor for where to pick up new music? I went through a phase for about 2 years where i didnt buy a single CD purely because the things were getting so expensive - the euro changeover meant that paying anything upto €20 for a cd was meant to be acceptable. So i'd spend a load of time on the fileshare sites and with a bit of work get exactly what i wanted and burn it to cd. You could download stuff you'd only heard about on a whim and try it before (not) buying it. But then i missed the happiness of holding a new CD with artwork etc in my hand, sniffing the cover and reading the sleeve notes and all that nerdy stuff. I've recently started buying CDs of some of the better music I downloaded for free. On the web Amazon is great for the majority of stuff. With a weaker dollar and even including postage and packaging a new release can work out anwhere between 20% and 40% cheaper than in your average dublin record store.
I'm basically looking for a list of the places hardened music fans go to get new music A) on the net B) record shops in town C) fileshare or pay as you go mp3 sites

Any price comparisons between the price of a new release in Tower/HMV or Road/Freebird? I generally find Tower a little less expensive and with a slightly better selection than HMV. Haven't been to Freebird in years but they were generally a little more expensive too. Then there's the argument of supporting your local independent record shop and that its worth the extra couple of quid. Is it tho?

I steal mine. Doesn't everyone?
The only place I ever buy a CD is at a gig.

it's kinda depressing reading back over this thread about all the deadly record shops that were open at the time. murder city and the secret book and record store back around that time especially. i discovered some of my favourite bands out of going to those two shops

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back