Where do *you* get your music? (1 Viewer)

Donkey OJ

Where do people get most of their music these days? And whats the deciding factor for where to pick up new music? I went through a phase for about 2 years where i didnt buy a single CD purely because the things were getting so expensive - the euro changeover meant that paying anything upto €20 for a cd was meant to be acceptable. So i'd spend a load of time on the fileshare sites and with a bit of work get exactly what i wanted and burn it to cd. You could download stuff you'd only heard about on a whim and try it before (not) buying it. But then i missed the happiness of holding a new CD with artwork etc in my hand, sniffing the cover and reading the sleeve notes and all that nerdy stuff. I've recently started buying CDs of some of the better music I downloaded for free. On the web Amazon is great for the majority of stuff. With a weaker dollar and even including postage and packaging a new release can work out anwhere between 20% and 40% cheaper than in your average dublin record store.
I'm basically looking for a list of the places hardened music fans go to get new music A) on the net B) record shops in town C) fileshare or pay as you go mp3 sites

Any price comparisons between the price of a new release in Tower/HMV or Road/Freebird? I generally find Tower a little less expensive and with a slightly better selection than HMV. Haven't been to Freebird in years but they were generally a little more expensive too. Then there's the argument of supporting your local independent record shop and that its worth the extra couple of quid. Is it tho?

Donkey OJ said:
I generally find Tower a little less expensive and with a slightly better selection than HMV. Haven't been to Freebird in years but they were generally a little more expensive too. Then there's the argument of supporting your local independent record shop and that its worth the extra couple of quid. Is it tho?
I think Tower is a bit rip off really.

I find the small independent shops are cheaper.

Most of the stuff i buy tends to come from eBay. Anything new i'd just get it in a shop in town i guess. I've downloaded very little music, despite having broadband.

ms.b.haven said:
i get the ireland on sunday free cd's
i was in my local newsagents on sunday morning picking up the papers and this old guy with no teeth smelling of tobacco came in, goes straight upto the counter and asks the girl behind the counter "so, what paper has what cd this week then?" and he buys the paper with the best cd. so that shit actually works! bad classical music and cyndi lauper tunes sell shitty papers shocker. i spose he could use the actual paper to wipe his arse with. free arse tissue with compilation cd.

Latex lizzie said:
must try harder 100 lines!

tower, spindizzy, road, french amazon.(cheap as chips)
never tried the french amazon. does it have the same broad selection as .com and do you need to be decent at french to avoid buying 4 eros ramazotti albums by mistake? wheres spindizzy?

that was my dad, i sent him in to get me a cd and 5 pikuer while i waited on the shitter !baggyyyy
Donkey OJ said:
i was in my local newsagents on sunday morning picking up the papers and this old guy with no teeth smelling of tobacco came in, goes straight upto the counter and asks the girl behind the counter "so, what paper has what cd this week then?" and he buys the paper with the best cd. so that shit actually works! bad classical music and cyndi lauper tunes sell shitty papers shocker. i spose he could use the actual paper to wipe his arse with. free arse tissue with compilation cd.

Donkey OJ said:
there was a spoof ad in the Phoenix a while ago advertising a free sunday newspaper with every compilation cd. very amusing.

my friend is mad into those free cds. she always buys the papers if they have a 70's cd one in them.

I've got quite a few ok cds free with the Gruaniad.

thegoone said:
mostly music shops
deciding factor - music that i think is of high enough quality to be worth the purchase
what keeps you from buying on the net? cutting out the middle man and all that.

Donkey OJ said:

Most newspapers/magazines are rubbish so obviously the ones with free things will tend to sell more. Those free cds aren't cheap to put together though, which is why people don't really give em away with every issue except for monthly publications.

Donkey OJ said:
never tried the french amazon. does it have the same broad selection as .com and do you need to be decent at french to avoid buying 4 eros ramazotti albums by mistake? wheres spindizzy?

no one buys eros ramazotti albums by "mistake", no matter how confusing a website may be.

ms.b.haven said:
that was my dad, i sent him in to get me a cd and 5 pikuer while i waited on the shitter !baggyyyy
whats pikuer? your dad is a very handsome man for someone with yellow skin.

Ed said:
no one buys eros ramazotti albums by "mistake", no matter how confusing a website may be.
he's the blind guy right? i betcha *he* buys a lot of shit by mistake on the net.

They’re cigars, but maybe I’ve got the spelling wrong. He’s is handsome isn’t he, he lost those teeth in a hurly match you know, with our great rivals from kilshaknock

Donkey OJ said:
whats pikuer? your dad is a very handsome man for someone with yellow skin.

I buy vinyl mostly, from various shops around town - spindizzy, road, borderline, from charity shops like Oxfam, from the blackberry fare, from ebay. I would buy cds occasionally if they're cheap or I'd buy cds from local artists where there'd just be no chance that they'd appear on vinyl. I don't really download music, but I'd listen to streaming audio a good bit. Price is usually a big factor in buying music.

Donkey OJ said:
he's the blind guy right? i betcha *he* buys a lot of shit by mistake on the net.

index.jpg

Don't think he's blind, i only know enough about him to try to avoid his music

boigaz said:
I buy vinyl mostly, from various shops around town - spindizzy, road, borderline, from charity shops like Oxfam, from the blackberry fare, from ebay. I would buy cds occasionally if they're cheap or I'd buy cds from local artists where there'd just be no chance that they'd appear on vinyl. I don't really download music, but I'd listen to streaming audio a good bit. Price is usually a big factor in buying music.
k i know what ebay is and mostly what it does. but what way does it work with music? is all the stuff secondhand? is it individual joe-public sellers or are there stores selling new stuff too? and have you ever been burned by an unscrupulous seller?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back