Where do *you* get your music? (1 Viewer)

Donkey OJ said:
k i know what ebay is and mostly what it does. but what way does it work with music? is all the stuff secondhand? is it individual joe-public sellers or are there stores selling new stuff too? and have you ever been burned by an unscrupulous seller?

no, yes, yes, no

Donkey OJ said:
k i know what ebay is and mostly what it does. but what way does it work with music? is all the stuff secondhand? is it individual joe-public sellers or are there stores selling new stuff too? and have you ever been burned by an unscrupulous seller?
I've bought a good few 2nd hand jazz lps, mostly from individuals. I've had no bad experiences - the condition as described, timely delivery etc.

I sort of made a mistake at first though. The auction prices can be very cheap, especially for lots, but the shipping prices can often double the overall price. Especially from the States. You have to watch that.

Donkey OJ said:
what keeps you from buying on the net? cutting out the middle man and all that.
Generally it's stuff i can't get in the shops and it's almost always cheaper. Plus you get that exciting "things coming in the mail that aren't bills" buzz!

I like tower for their classical section - which is only barely decent for new music - but occasionally they get in something interesting.

i've got okay CDs with t'observer over t'years... bjork and the like. i hardly ever buy music any more though. people burn me stuff a good bit, which is nice. last few things i bought were in road or tower's cheap section or neurotrecordings.com. or play.com, which is deadly for cheap DVDs.

insound has a great selection but can be pricey for shipping. x-mist gets some great stuff in and shipping is really cheap. emusic has an amazing amount of stuff to download v.cheap. else order direct from labels. you get more stickers and badges to play with that way !ninjaaaa

Igor said:
Plus you get that exciting "things coming in the mail that aren't bills" buzz!
thats my favourite part too! except for when the rain comes and the postman leaves the package outside.

spiritualtramp said:
I bloody hate waiting for stuff to arrive in the mail.
it's always good though when you've just given up on it ever arriving and.. bingo! there it is.

well i was singing Andrea Boccelli's Time to say goodbye, and i also have the lyrics in Italian:

CON TE PARTIRO- Italian​
Quando sono solo
sogno all'orizzonte
e mancan le parole,
si lo so che non c'e` luce
in una stanza quando manca il sole,
se non ci sei tu con me,
Su le finestre
mostra a tutti il mio cuore
che hai acceso,
chiudi dentro me
la lace che
hai incontrato per strada,

Con te partrio'
Paesi che non ho mai
veduto e vissuto con te,
adesso si li vivro'
Con te partiro'
su navi per mari
che, io lo so,
no, no, non esistono piu'
con te io li vivro'

Quando sei lontana
sogno all'orizzonte
e mancan le parole,
e io si lo so
che sie con me,
tu mia luna tu sei qui con me,
mio sole tu sei qui con me.

Con te partiro'
Paesi che non ho mai
veduto e vissuto con te,
adesso si li vivro.
Con te partiro,
su navi per mari
che, io lo so,
no, no, non esistono piu',
con te io li rivivro.
Con te partiro'
su navi per mari
che, io lo so,
no, no, non esistono piu'.
con te io li rivivro.
Con te partiro'
Io con te.

Super Dexta said:
people burn me stuff a good bit, which is nice.
how would we go about setting up a compilation CD collective on thumped. i love making and receiving well picked and thought out compilation cds where you may have heard most or none of the music but the way the tunes hang together make it great. it'd be a deadly way to hear new music and spread the esoterica. theres book clubs in the states where you get a book in the post, read it and post it on to the next reader. we cud do the same with compilation cds, send it to someone who if they like it, burn it and forward it on to the next person. it'd have to be via post and all that so PM'd postal addresses or summit? no one needs to know more than a couple of addresses. not the most effeicient way of getting new music to people but its kinda quaint in a secret postal service kinda way. each cd would have a title/track listing/author published on thumped and you could "order it". i'll make the first one if anyone's interested. PM me.

I buy from shops and from play.com and then I rip whatever Ian buys. I generally a terrible buyer and will think about a €15 purchase for hours /weeks. Although I did buy Dear Catastrophie Waitress the other day on a whim. (Living in a town is great!)

just thought. the compilation cd plan depends on everyone having a cd burner at least. most people have burners these days tho dont they?

were any of you at the Thumped Christmas Parties? We did a compilation trade thing. I was good fun to do but I dont think I've spoken to anyone who likes the comp they receiced. (Except Ross's friend whho got mine last year, that was quite scary, she went through it song by song saying shouting "oh my got I love that" getting higher and higher in pitch as she went on... that is until she got to the Marillion song hahahaha)

Anthony said:
were any of you at the Thumped Christmas Parties? We did a compilation trade thing. I was good fun to do but I dont think I've spoken to anyone who likes the comp they receiced. (Except Ross's friend whho got mine last year, that was quite scary, she went through it song by song saying shouting "oh my got I love that" getting higher and higher in pitch as she went on... that is until she got to the Marillion song hahahaha)
I think having the tracklisting on thumped would fix that, though you could always hide a marillion track on there...!ninjaaaa

...marillion:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back