When did REM turn shite (1 Viewer)

When did REM turn shite

• When they signed to Warner Bros.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • When they released Everybody Hurts

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • When they released Monster (and toured with 4 back up guitarists, keyboard players etc, etc)

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • When Bill Berry left

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • When Stipe started with the make up and shaving the head

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • When Peter Buck stopped looking like he cared

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • When Mike Mills dyed his hair and got a perm

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • When Mike Mills started with the glam nudie suitke Mills dyed his hair and got a perm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • When Mike Mills wouldn't shut up in the interviews already...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • When Mike Mills big schmaltzy keyboard sound became the REM staple rather then Bucks Rickenbackers

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters
Haven't been the same since Berry left,
that said some outstanding songs on each of the last few disappointing albums, example: Leaving New York is amazing.

Last amazing REM album is New Adventures in Hi-Fi, possibly their best too. Certainly of the Warner Bro's years.

I was only thinking about this earlier. Within a short period they lost jefferson (holt?) the manager, Bill Berry (drummer) and Scot Litt (producer) and that may have broken the magic formula they had. Also the melody seemed to disappear from their songs.

Daysleeper is good though.

What do you mean 'turn'?

to say that rem have turned to shite presupposes that they were at some time good. therein lies the problem at the heart of your question.

back to rock school for the both of you!

murmur.jpg

New Adventures = a lot of great songs, but needs a few tracks trimmed off
Up = excellent (especially considering the circumstances)
Revel = pretty mediocre, excepting one or two songs
.. and the last one got such bad reviews everywhere that I didn't have the heart to actually listen to it. God knows where they go from here, time to call it a day maybe... Got the 'When the Light is Mine' IRS-years DVD for Christmas, quality stuff. There's some great early interviews in the extras- Peter Buck aged 21 comes across as a hilariously cocky indie scenester type, namedropping some cult new wave or punk band in every second sentence.

So the IRS DVD is worth getting? Have avoided all the best ofs up to now cos i have every album.
E-bow the letter, Leave, Binky the Doormat, How the West was won... are all amazing songs, whole album is deadly besides Zither which always annoyed me. My favourite Warner Bro's album anyway.

Murmur probably my favourite IRS one.

Think everyone agree's they lost it mid 90's anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back