What records did you listen to today? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter tim
  • Start date
  • Replies 4K
  • Views 292K
  • Watchers 25
the threshold houseboy's choir: form grows rampant.
debut solo album from peter christopherson of throbbing gristle and coil. this is absolutely magnificent, and so far is the best album of the year in my view. unlike much of his work with his previous bands, this is not dark at all. instead, it is very meditative with some remarkably joyful moments, over occassionally very funky basslines (showing the influence of the likes of lalo schifrin). the whole album is gorgeously produced and beautifully constructed.

whitehouse: halogen.
an unusually subdued album from possibly the most sonically and lyrically extreme band in the world. the usual sonic elements are present: use of very high and low frequencies, whirls and walls of white and pink noise, and vicious ideosyncratic vocals. however, the effect is remarkably soothing: like being inside a washing machine on a massive dose of valium. the title track is astonishing, epic and beautiful with an intreiguing use of sampled pop music. lyrically, it is inspired in certain sections by the work of bret eston ellis, in particular "american psycho" and "the rules of attraction". co-produced and engineered by steve albini, although i personally think whitehouse's "quality time" remains albini's greatest engineering and production work. albini's - unfortunately very rare - remix of "dictator" from this album is delightful also.

lady sovereign: public warning.
the most addictive album i have heard for quite some time, listening to it endlessly. remarkably for an album of this type, it is notably lacking in any particularly weak filler tracks. it really is all great, though my favourite's are the title track - which sounds like some hugely inspired cross between x-ray spex and heavy rave music with the most amazing rapping i have ever heard - the hilarious "tango", "nine to five", "hoodie", "random" and "blah blah". hugely entertaining lyrics along with the incredibly infectious hooks.

throbbing gristle: d.o.a.
tg's second best album ("second annual report" always remaining totally unique and powerful), with tensions within the group making for some amazingly varied and intense moments. the solo tracks by each of the members are all wonderful and diverse: christopherson's covert recordings of rent-boys evoking an atmosphere of menacing mundanity, tutti's pastoral and soothing guitar piece, carter's euphoric proto-techno dance track and p-orridge's suicide note "weeping" which remains one of the most depressing songs ever. "hamburger lady" is an utterly unforgettable piece. the exerpted version of the live track "dead of arrival" does however pale in comparison with the extended original version from the 1977 goldsmith college performance. the cd comes with two tracks from the second best tg single (after the "united" / "zyklon b zombie" 7" - in fact, i found all the other 7"s aside from these two to be tg at their worst): "five knuckle shuffle" / "we hate you (little girls)" which feature tg at possibly their most abrasive and grindingly confrontational (with the exception of their vicious performances at the brighton polytechnic in 1976 and the rat club in the same year).

nurse with wound + irr. app. (ext.): angry eelectric finger 3 - mute bell extinction process.
the final in the utterly superb AEF series is the closest to the original NWW raw material, with matt waldron of irr. app. (ext.) adding subtle textures to the same material which was build upon by jim o'rourke and twisted apart by cyclobe. it is however utterly essential, a mesmerising album which again solidifies in my mind the conviction that matt waldron is genuinely a musical genius and certainly very vastly under-rated.

aube: metal de metal.
the best aube work (aside from his beautiful first volume of reworkings of maurizio bianchi's synth-drone pieces). constructed, as the title suggests, entirely from the sounds of metallic objects, it is an absolutely blissful exploration of gorgeous timbres.

refuge060307.jpg

New God Is An Astronaut - Far From Refuge

Sounds great on first few listens.

Kreator-endless pain lp
Plastic Bertrand-sha la la la lee/naif song 7"
Flintlock-carry me/freeloader 7"
Buzzcocks-spiral scratch 7"
Buzzcocks-love you more/noise annoys 7"
Black Sabbath-neon knights/children of the sea(live) 7"
Anti-Dogmaikss-7"
The Problematics-all suck cd
The Bellrays-the red,white and black cd
Mudhoney-march to fuzz 2xcd
Silver Ginger 5-black leather mojo cd

they covered he's a whore on a b-side somewhere

I get the impression Ginger is quite the Cheap Trick fan. I've sen him raving about them a few times.

Doom-live in japan 7"
Doom-police bastard 7"
9 Shocks Terror-even worse 7"
Kriegstanz/I shot Cyrus-split 7"
Kilslug-7"
Skitkids-valkomna till paradiset 7"
Negazione-lo spiritu continua lp
Arrigt Antraek-7"
Scream-this side up lp
Leeway-born to expire lp
Dinosaur Jr-fossils lp
Tristess-bara rock'n'roll 7"

I know this is about as cutting edge as Comodore 64s, but, I just listened to the new Arcade Fire album.

It's fucking deadly. Like... deadly. I am a bit surprised.
Anti Bushian american bullying, anti religion... cool tunes, organs, I dunno. Deadly.

Misfits-static age lp
The Freeze-rabid reaction lp
Perfect Daze-regular jailbreak 12"
MDC-this blood's for you lp
Wasted Youth-reagan's in lp
Bad Beach-cut it off lp
v/a-trans world punk rave up vol 1 lp
DSB-pure cultivation 7"
Look Back And Laugh-street terrorism 7"
Cardiac Arrest-life's a dead end 7"

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back