What records did you listen to today? (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter tim
  • Start date
  • Replies 4K
  • Views 291K
  • Watchers 25
tellier.jpg

betaband.jpg
has_a_good_home.jpg

Hisataka-dirty dog 7"
Corrupted side of split with Cripple Bastards 7"
Haymaker/Oxbaker-split 7"
TSOL-posh boy 12"
Voi Vod-rrroooaaarrr lp
Electro Hippies-the only good punk lp

do you own those NWW records, or download em, and if so on what format?

i own every NWW release (along with every Coil, TG and Whitehouse albums). i really dislike the mp3 format, especially with regards to music like this, and the cover artwork etc is an integral part of the piece as a whole. if an album by NWW, Coil, TG, Whitehouse can be bought, i will get it as i want to support their work and its worth it alone for the artifact in itself. i have downloaded bootleg stuff though. i'll stop now before i get into a rant once again, but i will just reiterate that the mp3 format is an extremely inferior one and does no justice to music like this.

i guess you may have come across Brighter Death Now? Cold Meat Industries bloke..really great....!

i have heard of BDN for some time, but never got round to picking up any of their stuff. i'll have a look for it. to be honest, i avoid a lot of that style of so called "power electronics" and "noise" as for the most part i find it to be incredibly tedious, the former especially. i love whitehouse, but their imitators consistantly miss the point, and practically all i have heard of those sorts of groups have none of the intelligence, wit, precision and attention towards the structure and tone of sound that whitehouse has.

still though, i'll check out BDN. i have heard they aren't the usual distorted-scream-vocal over feedback which usually is the standard for the parade of tasteless idiocy known as "power electronics".

yeh, there's tons of rubbish noise at the moment, but I can't get enough of noise/PE.. maybe it is inferior talent wise or whatever to NWW/Coil etc, but for me, it's the extremity of the sounds that keeps me listening.. Freak Animal is a good place to start if you get the urge to check out some PE.:)

yeh, there's tons of rubbish noise at the moment, but I can't get enough of noise/PE.. maybe it is inferior talent wise or whatever to NWW/Coil etc, but for me, it's the extremity of the sounds that keeps me listening.. Freak Animal is a good place to start if you get the urge to check out some PE.:)

i havent heard them, again, i'll look out for it. i have heard a hell of a lot of PE and noise, and it pretty much all leaves me cold. i really think stuff like taint, intrinsic action, genocide organ etc is just a dead-end (in my personal opinion).
it's a very unimaginative scene, back in the early eighties stuff like sutcliffe jugend and ramleh were already doing the wanna-be whitehouse [and i dont even consider whitehouse to be PE or "noise music": they may have birthed those genres, but they remain singular and their work is far too highly crafted to be just "noise"] thing (although early SJ did have some interesting sounds and ramleh did turn into a peculiar interesting rock band in the nineties). in fact i see a distinct parallel between the early 80s cassette things like the "broken flag" label and the "american tapes" cdr thing at the moment. the only differences being that the cdrs will degrade faster than the tapes, and the flirtation with fascist imagery has been replaced by beer swilling macho posturing.
i really dont get the appeal of the likes of wolf eyes and prurient. its been done before, and it has not got any more interesting (only my own opinion of course). there is of course still a couple of people doing interesting things, just as jessica rylan and maria moran.

as for the japanese "noise" scene, besides from the amazing and extremely rewarding work of Aube (who is not really "noise" music at all, but since it is experimental and he is japanese he seems, alas, to be lumped in with that crowd), i find it very dull, with the exception of incapacitants, c.c.c.c., and the gerogerigegege. merzbow has to be one of the most over-rated artists currently at work, i have at least thirty albums by him and have had the dubious pleasure of hearing the merzbox, and it really is a bit of a joke. he did one good album called "dharma", the rest is all a weaker version of this (with the exception of the absolutely brilliant "sleeper awakes on the edge of the abyss" collaboration with christoph heemann, however i am certain it is 95% heemann's work).

A lot of the stuff at the moment uses fascist/child abuse etc in its content which is pretty grimm at the best of times, obviously they’ve taken influence from whitehouse/con-dom etc. I think it’s important not to get caught up in the thinking that, if it’s been done before, then forget it.. same thought process, a lot of people use by quoting the velvet underground, MC5 etc.. not saying at all that this is the reason you dislike any of the noise artists around today…
I agree with wolf eyes and prurient, own a few of the latters records, history of aids is the only one I ‘d listen to..Jessica Rylan (Can’t) is awesome, her vocals are really screwed at times chopped and mashed up, which sounds really odd and interesting..theres some great footage of her and Emil Bealieau up on youtube somewhere, well worth a look.
Went a bit merzbow crazy when I got my credit card a while back, still enjoy what he does, the ‘beat’ releases on important are reasonable, pulse demon/venerology/electric salad/hybrid noisebloom are miles from what he’s doing now, I guess the Tumeric release is a return to a harsher sound?! Would’nt discount merzbow at all, I’m sure he’ll release a cracker soon!
Aint heard much new Japanese stuff, did pick up some Thirdorgan, Government Alpha stuff and Torturing Nurse from China are pretty cool, think Melt Banana 50 times faster and harder, deadly ! so much music, so little time!

A lot of the stuff at the moment uses fascist/child abuse etc in its content which is pretty grimm at the best of times, obviously they’ve taken influence from whitehouse/con-dom etc.

well, i would have to say that con-dom (worst band name ever!) was never a pioneer. the whole thing of intentionally objectionable - and my opinion, incredibly stupid - vocal material and presentation over abrasive noise had been done years before by the likes of sutcliffe jugend. con-dom would be the perfect example of the type of "power electronics" that whitehouse unintentionally spawned. the thing is, these imitators clearly did not get what whitehouse was really about. whitehouse explored total extremity in sound and lyrical content, and once those absolute extremes have been expressed, any further attempts are utterly pointless.

these imitators also cruically lack the intelligence and humour present in all of whitehouse's work. "dedicated to peter kurten" and "right to kill" explored the sense of alienation and absolute darkness within the minds of serial killers, and albums like "buchenwald" (which i am listening to at the moment) and "new britain" explored the true horror of fascism sonically, in an almost documentary sense: they did not condone and glamourise fascism. of course, they did not condemn it, so that the reactions of the listener are part of the work. and i should mention, william bennett of whitehouse - who has over the years got a lot of flack for exploring such themes (yet Joy Division didnt have nearly as much trouble, simply becuase their music was accessable and "pleasant" to most) - is strongly and vocally opposed to racism and fascism. it's not a situation where you have something which explores fascism in a much more dubious way like Death In June and other "neo-folk" bands, where the music is very "nice" and "normal" in the conventional sense. whitehouse present these themes with deliberately abrasive sound to illustrate the horror of these themes, and not to glamourise. its uniquely unhypocritical: like with "mummy and daddy", which is concerned with the themes of domestic violence and misogyny, which are also explored in gangsta rap, but in the case of that genre its all set to a nice beat you can tap your foot to, and one doesnt have to consider the horrible reality of these issues. that album also finishes with a track consisting of actual victims of domestic abuse speaking, which is the same length as the musical tracks on the album.

"power electronics" imitators completely miss this point, that there is an actual sensitivity towards the reality of topics like fascism, violence and child abuse. they are just like any other rubbish heavy metal band, using it as an excuse to be obnoxious and pretend they have a big dick over generic and lazy noise.

i do find amusing how these types are remarkably conservative about their music - just like old rock and rollers and punks who listen to nothing but three chord oi-oi-oi bands from the late seventies - and find their complaints that recent whitehouse has been rubbish since they dared use rhythms and have lyrics exploring issues like the hypocracy of modern art and the effects of media on eating disorders, while all they want to hear is someone shouting "rape", "kill" and "fuck you" over feedback.

Jessica Rylan (Can’t) is awesome, her vocals are really screwed at times chopped and mashed up, which sounds really odd and interesting..theres some great footage of her and Emil Bealieau up on youtube somewhere, well worth a look.

emil beaulieau is an absolutely hilarious and highly entertaining live performer with a fantastic sense of humour and fun. his wife if maria moran, who did some excellent work under her own name and as "zipper spy", well worth checking out.

Went a bit merzbow crazy when I got my credit card a while back, still enjoy what he does, the ‘beat’ releases on important are reasonable, pulse demon/venerology/electric salad/hybrid noisebloom are miles from what he’s doing now, I guess the Tumeric release is a return to a harsher sound?! Would’nt discount merzbow at all, I’m sure he’ll release a cracker soon!

he just doesnt do it for me, i'm afraid. though "dharma" is an excellent album.
"noise" music is nothing new at all though, robert ashley's "the wolfman" from 1964 sounds exactly like merzbow, and alvin lucier's 1975 piece "bird and person dyning" did the whole thing of using barely tolerable high-pitched frequencies. even amm's 1966 "ammusic" incorporated noise elements.

Mark E.Smith - The Post-Nearly Man

I have this too. I think it may be the worst record I own.

Today I've been listening to:

Khan - "Who Never Sleeps"
Fursaxa - "Alone In The Dark Wood"

I still can't figure out if the Fursaxa record is good, or just medieval nonsense.

Disclose/Cruelty- split 7"
Roky Erickson-acoustic ep
Civil Disobedience-in a few hours of madness 7"
Paranoid visions-the robot is running amok 7"
No Comment-demo 7'
Fairfuck-7'
Josefus-cd
Skitkids-onna for pleasure lp
Jawbreaker-unfun lp
Generation X-your generation bbc sessions lp
Earthless-sonic prayer jam 10"

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back