What movie did you watch last night? (11 Viewers)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Missed it in the theatres, so I got it out from Laser last night.

First impression: crap.

Upon further reflection: mostly crap.

Much better viewing recently has been:

The World at War--awesome '70 TV documentary about WWII. Highly recommended.

The Sopranos, Series 5
--showing its age a bit, but still good.

Lots of David Attenborough--all of it good, but The Life of Mammals and The Living Planet were especially brilliant.

The Fog of War--fascinating Errol Morris profile of Robert McNamara. Definitely worth checking out.

Paul

watched Thriller: A Midsummer Nightmare

Jody Baxter is the bored wife of private detective Johnny Baxter, and when her husband goes abroad and a customer comes calling for "J.Baxter", she decides to take up the case herself. The man, Arnold Tully, mourns the murder of his young niece and ward Annabella five years earlier, and requests Miss Baxter to compile evidence against the man he believes to have committed the crime. Jody proceeds to investigate the man, Peter Ingram, but is reluctantly forced into an acquaintance when he asks her to his cottage. Uncertain as to whether he is actually guilty, Jody uses a woman's eye to sift through the clues afresh, despite the insistence from the police that Ingram is guilty. She soon finds a clue to the identity of the mystery killer in a copy of A Midsummer Night's Dream found in Annabella's room, but by doing so places herself in mortal danger.

no movies recently, just trying out some new US tv shows with single word titles

Invasion - apparently about an alien invasion, but might not be
Threshold - allegedly about an alien invasion, really a 'war on terror' parable

still to watch:
Surface - about an invasion of monsters from under the sea

Watched the 43rd and last episode of Thriller tonight. The best anthology series ever.

Death In Deep Water

A prime witness against a powerful crime syndicate, former hit man Gary Stevens escapes his would-be assassins by taking up residence in a lonely island cottage. One day during a violent storm, a beautiful young girl pounds on the door in her bathing costume and begs to be allowed in out of the rain. Stevens cautiously agrees, and finds himself attracted to his mysterious visitor, who confesses that she recognises Stevens' face from the newspapers. Subsequently, the girl returns to the island and a romance blooms, but she still refuses to give any details about herself other than that she is married to a wealthy older man whom she does not love. Stevens, now fully under the girl's spell, acquiesces to her plan for him to murder her husband and share in the money. The deed goes ahead, but then events begin to take a bizarre turn...

Next up: Hammer House Of Mystery And Suspense is being re-watched for the next 13 :eek: Fridays.

Saw Crash on Thursday night. I thought it was excellently done, except for the poor choice of music. If I want gravitas don't give me weakass trip hop beats followed by the Stereophonics. Other than that the racism was very good and some of the scenes - particularly the Thandie Newton car-crash scene were excellent. Liked how it didn't pull its punches racism wise. A little bit like Magnolia in its ensemble piece in LA vibe but more coherent and straightforward. I recommend. Makes LA seem like anarchy all the same.

Saw The Machinist the other night. It was quite good and a bit freaky/horrible (i.e. also good) in parts. Is it ok to like a film with a traditional morality message?

just finished watching pasolini's "salo: the 120 days of sodom". remarkable, but flawed. it is visually very striking, has some superb dialogue, however the ending is very much unresolved and unsatisfying. it is very slow moving also, but rather stately and grand in its manner. i cant say i was very shocked by it, but certainly some of the content is repulsive.

much better was "la grand bouffe", a superb and hilarious adaptation of de sade's "...sodom" in which food and cookery is the means of torture. highly recommended and very witty.

Brian Conniffe said:
much better was "la grand bouffe", a superb and hilarious adaptation of de sade's "...sodom" in which food and cookery is the means of torture. highly recommended and very witty.

Saw this ages ago, an excellent movie about gluttoney and excess. Marcello, Ugo, Philippe and Michel plus the three prostitutes and the teacher :eek:

Watched Swept Away last night and felt violent after watching it. It was one of the worst films I've ever seen in my life. Madonna can't act for toffee and the plot was painful. I cannot emphasise enough how much it sucked.

Brian Conniffe said:
just finished watching pasolini's "salo: the 120 days of sodom". remarkable, but flawed. it is visually very striking, has some superb dialogue, however the ending is very much unresolved and unsatisfying. it is very slow moving also, but rather stately and grand in its manner. i cant say i was very shocked by it, but certainly some of the content is repulsive.
do you have this on dvd? where did you get it?

Watched Far From Heaven last night, and the boyfriend would have threatened to revoke my video renting privileges if I hadn't also rented 48 Hours. I'd seen Far From Heaven before and to be honest, it's pretty slow and lame, but the 1950s costumes and sets are so frickin rad. Imagine putting up with me cooing about dresses for 2 hours...

My missus has a habit of commenting on nice furniture / decor at even the most harrowing / scary / whatever moments of films. It's truly surreal.

Saw 'Eraserhead' for the first time last week... L:heart: ved it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back