What movie did you watch last night? (21 Viewers)

THE EQUALIZER

Denzil Washington plays Bryan Mills, who has gone undercover in Boston and changed his skin colour to avoid detection. Mills must single-handedly take on the might of Russia, something no man has managed since Richard Dunne. Will he succeed? Well, whaddya reckon?
This film is fucking amazing. Seriously, if you like Taken, you fucking HAVE to go and see this in the cinema. It's over 2 hours of Denzil Washington being completely fucking bad-ass. Loads of hilarious deaths, and one of the best (or at least funniest) explosion scenes ever put to film.
Aside from Taken, this reminded me a bit of Punisher:Warzone, but with the makings of a good film beside all the totally amazing comedy deaths.
Loads of Russian Mafia dudes die during this film. For the sequel, they should create a super-race of Russian/Albanian hybrids, and put Liam Neeson and Denzel Washington together to fight them all.

Plus points:

Denzel Washington being fucking bad-ass as fuck
Pretty good cliched Russian bad guy
Funny deaths
Funny explosions
Dirty cops
The film is really stylistically shot which helps add to the overall amusement
The soundtrack is fucking deadly - in particular the sound mixing for this film is fucking amazing

Minus points:

eh…

Overall - 9/10 - Not quite as good as Taken, only because he doesn't kill quite as many people in as short a space of time.

Saw this today.

Some really fucked up killing in this.

Also, I got the added "that's my bus", "I know that street" etc

A FACE IN THE CROWD (Elia Kazan, 1957)
Great movie with an amazing lead performance. Well worth a watch.

THE POPE OF GREENWICH VILLAGE (1984)
Good acting by Mickey Rourke and some pretty crazy is it/isn't it good acting by Eric Roberts. There's a few Sopranos heads dotted around the movie. Overall it's ok/average.

BARFLY
Mickey Rourke as Charles Bukowski/Henry Chinaksi.
Great performance by Faye Dunaway. Good atmosphere throughout, yeah.....good fucking movie.

THE AMERICAN FRIEND
Wim Wender's take on "Ripley's Game". Great fucking movie. Beautifully shot. Great performances by Dennis Hopper and Bruno Ganz.

P.S.
Yes I said "Great" a lot.

Finally got to see xmen 27. An enjoyable mess. Disappointed the fassbender didn't slip into the Irish accent much. So many expensive actors with so little to do.

The notion, in this day, of all these people bothering to go to mass on Sunday
And confession
Then ridiculing and sneering at the priest the rest of the time, to his face, (ignoring the fact that Gleeson is a big fucker!)
No one actually gives enough of a fuck about religion to be bother about being rude to a priest any more.

There was actually a shot of net curtains blowing in the wind lifted exactly from Barney Gumble's short film.

Every scene in the pub was pile of absolute shite.
There wasn't a single conversation that sat believably.

The notion, in this day, of all these people bothering to go to mass on Sunday
And confession
Then ridiculing and sneering at the priest the rest of the time, to his face, (ignoring the fact that Gleeson is a big fucker!)
No one actually gives enough of a fuck about religion to be bother about being rude to a priest any more.

There was actually a shot of net curtains blowing in the wind lifted exactly from Barney Gumble's short film.

Every scene in the pub was pile of absolute shite.
There wasn't a single conversation that sat believably.

It was a mess.

I watched Scarecrow yesterday afternoon and thanks to whoever posted it up, very good film.

It was a shit film, Liam Neeson is a in a fucking coma through out it. Riddled with embarrassing cliches - cute kid, a man struggling with his demons..seeks redemption..all right through to the same shitty ending that we have seen in a thousand other lame thrillers.

It was better than a thousand other lame thrillers! .. I enjoyed it.

I watched Maps to the Stars the other night. A sick, creepy, surreal black comedy about a deeply fucked up Hollywood family. I really enjoyed it. I seemed to be the only one in the cinema laughing at some of the really sick bits though.
20140415153532!Maps_to_the_Stars_poster.jpg

I watched Maps to the Stars the other night. A sick, creepy, surreal black comedy about a deeply fucked up Hollywood family. I really enjoyed it. I seemed to be the only one in the cinema laughing at some of the really sick bits though.
20140415153532!Maps_to_the_Stars_poster.jpg
Can't say I liked the sound of it judging by reviews and Cronenberg's last few outings. But I love Mia Wasikowska so much I'll probably go and see it. Actually gas that she's still not a big enough star to make the poster. She's been in a string of hits lately.

Can't say I liked the sound of it judging by reviews and Cronenberg's last few outings. But I love Mia Wasikowska so much I'll probably go and see it. Actually gas that she's still not a big enough star to make the poster. She's been in a string of hits lately.
It’s much better than his last two. Dangerous Method wasn’t terrible but just a damp squib and Cosmopolis is the only film of his I’ve seen that I’ve actively disliked.

I went to see 20,000 days on earth. it was really good!
Saw this last night. I really liked it too and I'm not even that major a fan of his. Bit corny in parts but I really liked how they approached it. Less a documentary and more the groundwork that goes into making such a film, the conversations you have with the relevant people, analyzing stills and found footage that would be used. And often that's more interesting than what you get in the edited final print. I guess it isn't too far off a South Bank show format on his life but the fictionalization that you'd expect from a storyteller like him allows him to mythologize even as he de-mystifies which I sort of liked. Why pull the cloak off altogether? Ending was a bit rubbish though. I came out liking him more. Also he looks well young for a man his age who's seen and done most everything

Saw this last night. I really liked it too and I'm not even that major a fan of his. Bit corny in parts but I really liked how they approached it. Less a documentary and more the groundwork that goes into making such a film, the conversations you have with the relevant people, analyzing stills and found footage that would be used. And often that's more interesting than what you get in the edited final print. I guess it isn't too far off a South Bank show format on his life but the fictionalization that you'd expect from a storyteller like him allows him to mythologize even as he de-mystifies which I sort of liked. Why pull the cloak off altogether? Ending was a bit rubbish though. I came out liking him more. Also he looks well young for a man his age who's seen and done most everything
what are the fictional bits? does he solve murders or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back