What movie did you watch last night? (29 Viewers)

whip-it-poster.jpg

A little stereotypical at parts but it was pretty enjoyable. The scene when she first rode the bus into Austin and saw all the "small town things she was leaving behind" like the bullies outside the shop, the was just stupid. When it happened I said to my sister "if she gets off the bus outside somewhere hip like a record store I'll go nuts". She gets off the bus outside a zany looking record store.

Does she get her baps out?

Not Quiet Hollywood, on Filmfour. Great documentary about australian exploitation cinema (Ozploitation) from the 1970's & 80's.

Here's the trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXX3e8jARTE

Great doc - I'm a big fan of Oz Exploitation...I remember seeing TURKEY SHOOT (aka Blood camp Thatcher) on in that cinema on the quays where the laughter lounge is now..

Ferox, are you responsible for throwing up this particular piece of amazingness? Is the rest of the film any use?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

While watching this, it did occur to me that there were plenty of places Jean Claude could have gone running if he had wanted to, it's not the most accurate title ever.

579359451.jpg

The Bourne Identity again

Strangely quiet in the mini as they belt down the motroway though- they can actually hear themselves speak

hope someone got fired for that gaffe

also on a hornworthy note
Franka Potente

franka-potente-picture.jpg

thumb_waltz_with_bashir1.jpg

Waltz With Bashir, Israeli docu-animation recounting the horrors of the 1983 Lebanon Invasion. It was pretty good, rather depressing but I kinda found it hard to appreciate the animation while trying to read the subtitles. My Hebrew ain't the best. The animation varied from amazing to rather clunky in parts but it served well to tell the story.

milk-poster-sean-penn.jpg

Milk: This was pretty good, a fairly straightforward, and workmanlike account of the life of the first openly gay elected official in the US. Penn puts in a decent performance and the supporting cast are solid too, especially the White character.

thumb_waltz_with_bashir1.jpg

Waltz With Bashir, Israeli docu-animation recounting the horrors of the 1983 Lebanon Invasion. It was pretty good, rather depressing but I kinda found it hard to appreciate the animation while trying to read the subtitles. My Hebrew ain't the best. The animation varied from amazing to rather clunky in parts but it served well to tell the story.

Waltz With Bashir is fucking amazing. Hard going though.

I loved Waltz with Bashir. tough but inspired (or at least occaisionally inspired any way great use of that Enola Gay song)

Last night I watched
rec.jpg
Rec

Effective for what it is
i.e fast zombie, shakey camera, hysterical acting, one shock shlock.

and

Requiem

424px-Requiemposter.jpg

Brilliantly acted, deliberately slow paced descent into madness, disturbing german semi-horror. Covers the same ground as The Exorcism Of Emily Rose which is notable only for the main actresses (Jennifer Carpenter from Dexter) being deadly at contortions (she's actually pretty great in it as I recall, but the film is garbage)

One day I will write a long and extremely boring thesis on depictions of mental illness in film which no one will read. This film bucks the trend of not being either

A."oooh aren't the "insane" A. Gas B. Entertaining or C. Sad and misunderstood" or usually all three without any depth to any of the charachters except the "hero" caring for the poor poor lad i.e Fuck you Rain Man, I am Sam etc.
or
B. utter shite. *

Any way all the leads in it are absolutely brilliant worth a look if you are writing a thesis on mental illness as depicted in film or are a fan of moderately paced german mood pieces.

P.S * Actually it's mainstream (usually american) films I have a problem with.

I loved Waltz with Bashir. tough but inspired (or at least occaisionally inspired any way great use of that Enola Gay song)

Last night I watched
rec.jpg
Rec

Effective for what it is
i.e fast zombie, shakey camera, hysterical acting, one shock shlock.

and

Requiem

424px-Requiemposter.jpg

Brilliantly acted, deliberately slow paced descent into madness, disturbing german semi-horror. Covers the same ground as The Exorcism Of Emily Rose which is notable only for the main actresses (Jennifer Carpenter from Dexter) being deadly at contortions (she's actually pretty great in it as I recall, but the film is garbage)

One day I will write a long and extremely boring thesis on depictions of mental illness in film which no one will read. This film bucks the trend of not being either

A."oooh aren't the "insane" A. Gas B. Entertaining or C. Sad and misunderstood" or usually all three without any depth to any of the charachters except the "hero" caring for the poor poor lad i.e Fuck you Rain Man, I am Sam etc.
or
B. utter shite. *

Any way all the leads in it are absolutely brilliant worth a look if you are writing a thesis on mental illness as depicted in film or are a fan of moderately paced german mood pieces.

P.S * Actually it's mainstream (usually american) films I have a problem with.

Haha. Not even taking the piss, a girl I used to live with did her thesis on mental illness as depicted in film!
Apparently someone at Trinity Music a few years back did their thesis on Northern Irish punk in the late 70s/early 80s. I totally want to get hold of that for a read!

Went to see Dogtooth on Saturday. I thought it was great, with some very funny bits. 'Disturbing', of course, as it's about a Fritzel-esque house of horrors. But there's great humour to be found in family imprisonment.

Apparently someone at Trinity Music a few years back did their thesis on Northern Irish punk in the late 70s/early 80s. I totally want to get hold of that for a read!

That thesis should be made into a film by Micheal Bay.

Yesterday I watched

The%20Secret%20Of%20Santa%20Vittoria.jpg

It was on TV again. It's down right charming and Anthony Quinn is having a ball as the hero with the best name ever

Bumbalini.

They don't make em like that any more. Or at least they don't make films set in Italy filmed in Spain in English that aren't total shit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back