What movie did you watch last night? (41 Viewers)

You wake up and leave the cinema

We went back an hour later and there was chaos as they hadn't restarted the films. A big crowd was being brought out of screen 12 and a woman pointed over and asked me "Oh, what happened in Selma?"
"He died" was my dickhole answer.

I watched In Fear last night. The premise of a young couple getting lost on their way to a music festival in Ireland made me curious. I expected it to be awful, but it was a much different movie than I'd imagined. It's tense, creepy..genuinely disturbing...and then it gets repetitive, full of cliches and in the end annoying and unsastisfying. It's a good low budget, indie horror and has good things going for it. The acting is good, the way we are "in" the car with the protagonists for most of the movie is well done. The fact we never get to the irish music festival is good. The ending though..and gaping plot holes..

So, worth a look on a Saturday night at least.

infear1.jpg
Was that on telly the other night? bollocks, I didn't cop what it was. sounded good.

Ex Machina, really enjoyed it though it does suffer the same as all Alex Garland-scripted movies from a faltering final quarter. The guy doesn't do good endings. But like 28 Days Later the rest of the movie more than makes up for it. And it turns out he's actually a pretty nifty behind the camera. Geoff Barrow co-wrote the score and that works really well. Domhnall Gleeson goes from strength to strength. Recommended.

Also watching recently:
20 Feet from Stardom, aside from one or two good anecdotes and a paltry amount of (admittedly terrific) footage this flattered to deceive a little bit. Not as good as I was expecting.

Dead Man's Shoes, stone-cold classic.

Enemy, can't remember if I mentioned I watched this? Anyway it's a ripper. Cronenberg written all over it in the best possible sense.

Beyond the Limit, great documentary on the Hillary expedition to summit Everest on Netflix. Which led me to several others on YouTube. One of George Mallory, the sort of initial Himalayan adventurer who disappeared in his attempt two decades before Hillary. And finally the David Sharp Controversy doc, a fascinating look at contemporary obsessions with the peak and leaving people for dead in the Death Zone. All gripping viewing.

Also watching recently:
20 Feet from Stardom, aside from one or two good anecdotes and a paltry amount of (admittedly terrific) footage this flattered to deceive a little bit. Not as good as I was expecting.

I thought it was really good aside from the modern backing singer who had worked with Michael Jackson and all her own songs were beyond dreadful and she was proof positive that some people should stay backing singers.

But yeah, I thought it was really good.

Ex Machina, really enjoyed it though it does suffer the same as all Alex Garland-scripted movies from a faltering final quarter. The guy doesn't do good endings. But like 28 Days Later the rest of the movie more than makes up for it. And it turns out he's actually a pretty nifty behind the camera. Geoff Barrow co-wrote the score and that works really well. Domhnall Gleeson goes from strength to strength. Recommended.

Also watching recently:

Dead Man's Shoes, stone-cold classic.

Enemy, can't remember if I mentioned I watched this? Anyway it's a ripper. Cronenberg written all over it in the best possible sense.

Beyond the Limit, great documentary on the Hillary expedition to summit Everest on Netflix. Which led me to several others on YouTube. One of George Mallory, the sort of initial Himalayan adventurer who disappeared in his attempt two decades before Hillary. And finally the David Sharp Controversy doc, a fascinating look at contemporary obsessions with the peak and leaving people for dead in the Death Zone. All gripping viewing.
Glad you liked Enemy.
how about that final shot, huh?

Villeneuve and Gylenhaal work really well together.

Hope to see Ex Machina this week

Glad you liked Enemy.
how about that final shot, huh?

Villeneuve and Gylenhaal work really well together.

Hope to see Ex Machina this week
They do indeed.
Without being too facile the giant spider represents his burgeoning malevolence reflected back at him. Without knowing anything about the source material, the doppelgänger obviously traditionally is a harbinger of misfortune. Yer one who's preggers seems to reach out to the Adam character even though she seems to at least suspects who and what he is. Adam, for his part, seems ready for to take up Anthony's life. For a moment you half expect an upshot to the whole sorry affair - the mistreated wife gets a better version of her husband to start anew with child. But the lure of the darker side of his adopted existence will get the better of him (even if the transformation is unnaturally rapid in the movie real-time). The gigantic spider recoils from him rather than the other way around. He's becoming Anthony, he's been doomed all along as all the major characters have been. The symbol of the spider is of course of something dangerous, lethal and associated with a dark underbelly as set out at the beginning. It also hangs over them the whole movie, from the tops of the skyscrapers in the metropolis. There's no escaping it.

Could be wrong or only partially right but that was the gist of it for me. What you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back