What movie did you watch last night? (5 Viewers)

As Above So Below. Ridiculously handsome young people on a ludicrous caper in the Parisian Catacombs? Yeah, I'll have that. A bit When Harry Potter met Indy. Like an episode of Friends where they end up in Dante's Inferno by mistake, and Chandler has the Flock of Seagulls hair. Lots of loud noises and blurry indistinct things, and an ending that I'm pretty sure the writers didn't really understand. "Hey, if we don't understand it, then people will think it's deep, or something, right?" It's deep alright. Immensely enjoyable, if like that kind of crap. If you don't, we can't be mates.

Ouija. Stupidly handsome young Americans in large house dally with the superbnatural. Needless to say, the spirit world takes agin them. In fairness, who the fuck wouldn't. Cliche heavy and scare free. I've had less predictable shits, with more palatable results. At best, watchable dross. A killer of time. Oh! Sweet jesus, isn't time all we have? What have I done?

Under the Skin. My word.

The Guest. 80s vibe B-movieish shoot-em-up with Rutger-Hauer-in-the -Hitcher-esque antihero who does the foreboding "I'm gonna kill everyone any minute now" thing quite well. Enjoyable schlock. I liked the soundtrack too.

Finally saw Birdman!

LOVED it. I could watch Michael Keaton and Ed Norton's characters all day. Every single ensemble role was brilliantly written and performed, and even though there was so much going on it worked for me.

My only real criticism was too long, too many endings, and although the ending was grand, there were like five better endings before it.

I watched Good Cake, Bad Cake - the story of Dublin band Lir.
I didn't know much about them at the time, and don't remember hearing them or seeing them when they were around.
It's a pretty good watch; brought back some uncomfortable memories of being in a band circa 1989-1993 for me! But it's a very good document of a specific time and place.

Finally saw Birdman!

LOVED it. I could watch Michael Keaton and Ed Norton's characters all day. Every single ensemble role was brilliantly written and performed, and even though there was so much going on it worked for me.

Did you think that Norton's character was a bit too knowing? Him playing a difficult to work with control freak I mean?

Did you think that Norton's character was a bit too knowing? Him playing a difficult to work with control freak I mean?

You could say the same about Keaton's role, and the entire film on that note, I think. But if you don't really think of it as anything other than what it is, I don't think its important enough to annoy!

The identical.

TheIdentical.jpg

this is just weird. something to do with elvis, or more importantly twin elvis cast off impersonators and adoption. I'm not recommending it unless you want to spend about two hours really thinking hard about why someone would make it

the man who wasn't there.

man_who_wasnt_there_ver3.jpg

i'm sort of falling in love with frances mc dormand.

156full.jpg

i shouldn't have watched that and inside llewny davis in the same week.

The identical.

TheIdentical.jpg

this is just weird. something to do with elvis, or more importantly twin elvis cast off impersonators and adoption. I'm not recommending it unless you want to spend about two hours really thinking hard about why someone would make it

I honestly thought for a second that this was a film about Elvis's actual identical twin Jesse who was stillborn. That would be a bit much.

I watched Good Cake, Bad Cake - the story of Dublin band Lir.
I didn't know much about them at the time, and don't remember hearing them or seeing them when they were around.
It's a pretty good watch; brought back some uncomfortable memories of being in a band circa 1989-1993 for me! But it's a very good document of a specific time and place.
Did you feel that they may have gotten that elusive record deal if they'd scrubbed up a bit? Those jumpers were awful.

Inherent Vice - P.T. Anderson's new one.. I feel like this will frustrate as many people as it entertains. It's a convoluted shaggy-dog detective story with a ton of characters but the handful of screwball Big Lebowski-style comic moments offset a general sadder reflective tone, with an underlying theme about the tail end of the hippie era being consumed by corporate greed and the more destructive side of hard drug use. It's quite long and the narrative is a mess of intertwining and dangling threads - whether you enjoy it probably depends on how much you can ignore that and just go along for the ride. Like 'The Master', there are some great performances and it's beautifully shot with a strong soundtrack but you kind of wonder if it adds up to less than the sum of its parts. I feel like it's the kind of thing that'd work best seeing it late at night on TV, also seems like something that'd grow on repeat viewings, so looking forward to giving that a go at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back