What movie did you watch last night? (3 Viewers)

Also in the last week or two.

Out of Here, lowkey, low budget Irish drama that I grew on me the more I thought about it. Promising debut feature and deadly cameo by Paddy Kelleher and his band. Dublin looks great in it. Could be a real nice one to look back on in 20 years.

Throw Moma from the Train, always good for a laugh. Anne Ramsey of The Goonies is incredible.

Tiny Furniture, Lena Dunham early feature, didn't really like it. Similar enough to Girls but not fully formed.

Polanski's The Tenant. Not as celebrated as the rest of the Apartment Trilogy so had dampened expectations. Needn't have worried, it's really really good
tenant.jpg

Polanski's The Tenant. Not as celebrated as the rest of the Apartment Trilogy so had dampened expectations. Needn't have worried, it's really really good
tenant.jpg
Maybe not his best work but my personal favourite Polanski film. He’s perfect in the lead role. What an ending. What an opening too. Love the tune playing in the party scene.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Obvious child, abortion rom com, quite funny.

Had only ever seen the lead play a totally reprehensible and ott character in Parks and Rec so it was odd to see her playing likeable.

loved it, balled crying.

We Are the Best
wearethebest_2885086b.jpg

Great stuff again from Lukas Moodyson.

Ah jesus now I LOVED this. I love everything I've seen by LM but this one just made me smile so much.

Babadook
images

Nice chilling Aussie horror. Plays on childhood fears, repressed trauma and the damage of resentment. So nothing new thematically but handled quite brilliantly.

The Way Back. Peter Weir WW2 drama about a group of prisoners who escape from a Siberian prison and walk across Russia. I love Peter Weir but this was only ok. Looks amazing but I found the script a bit clunky and sentimental. Colin Farrell is very good in it as a Russian thug, despite looking like an ageing boyband member complete with designer stubble and “body art”. The rest of the cast were either walking clichés or completely unremarkable.

Star Trek Into Darkness. Fine. Not as good as the first but kept me engaged.

Over the last couple of nights:

The Grandmaster
The-Grandmaster-Zhang-Ziy-009.jpg

Wong Kar-Wai's study of Yip Man. Maybe not quite the perfect union it could have been, drags a bit in the final third but overall a very good watch.

Cross of Iron, think somebody here recommended it. Good alright.

Roman Holiday. Heading to Rome this weekend so getting in the mood. Good fun

I've seen it. Who does she play?

She's only in it very briefly, as far as I can from talking to her husband who told me she's in it she was originally just cast for extra work but they liked her look and she ended up with a line.

Apparently it's a scene with Keaton and Zac Galifinakis as they're walking through a theatre* talking and she pops up to ask Keaton a question about some other character. Small woman, in her 50's from Rathmines, not sure if she used her own accent.

* As an aside how they prepped for that scene, a long steadicam shot apparently but you'd know better than me, is interesting, it's a working theatre and would have cost a fortune to have it shut down to rehearse the scene so they sent someone in to measure it up and then taped off the dimensions of the place on a big sound stage in LA and rehearsed it there, so as they walked and talked they'd know what corners to take.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back