What movie did you watch last night? (7 Viewers)

220px-Animal_kingdom_poster.jpg

Heavy going by the end, but enthralling.
Mate

red-hill-poster.jpg

Australian modern-day western with Vinny from Home and Away as a cop on his first day in a small town, also the day an escaped prisoner is heading back to said town for revenge on the cops who put him away, Goose from Mad Max being the chief. Also there is a panther. Very good.

thumb-kill-list-poster.jpg

Hitman kitchen sink horror, or something along those lines. Good but not all it's hyped up to be.
I thought Kill List was pretty bad

shame-poster-revealed__oPt.jpg

Michael Fassbender is astonishing in this. there was a Q&A with him after and it was hard to believe it was the same person speaking on stage that i'd just seen on the screen. job well done!

haywire-poster.jpg

Pretty standard plotwise, but the fight scenes are shot so you can actually see what's going on (someone should show this to Paul Greengrass post fucking haste), which is almost unheard of these days in something that gets a theatrical release. There are some Gardaí running around with GARDA POLICE on their jackets, which I did think looked a bit dodge, but turns out that's what the ERU lads actually do have, so good work on the realism there, Mr. Sodebergh. Also there is running through the Burger King on Grafton St.

haywire-poster.jpg

Pretty standard plotwise, but the fight scenes are shot so you can actually see what's going on (someone should show this to Paul Greengrass post fucking haste), which is almost unheard of these days in something that gets a theatrical release. There are some Gardaí running around with GARDA POLICE on their jackets, which I did think looked a bit dodge, but turns out that's what the ERU lads actually do have, so good work on the realism there, Mr. Sodebergh. Also there is running through the Burger King on Grafton St.

Looking forward to seeing this, for all of the above comedy reasons, + added Bill Paxton comedy

Not as good as I'd hoped but not bad at all

And Joelin Donohue can now take pride of place in the 'IGTHF' thread

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

and Tom Noonan is always good

St.%2BIves%2B1976.jpg

This has Bronson, Robert Englund and Jeff Goldblum as hoods and a Lalo Schifrin score. Result.

(Actually, was thinking during this that we need more Lalo Schifrin type scores these days, David Holmes did a decent enough impression on Haywire. I was also thinking Saturday morning Bronson should happen more often.)

tell_no_one.jpg

Pretty good thriller type thing, also there is a dude with a tattoo of the Godfather. As in it literally says "The Godfather" in that font and with the littel puppet thingy.

Mechanic-Poster.png

Perfectly serviceable as a Statham vehicle*, but obviously not as good as the Bronson original. I did like it though.

*sorry, but had to be done

haywire-poster.jpg

Curious to see this too. Wondering if my "guy-in-lobby" scene made the final cut...

127 Hours.

127-Hours-Review.jpg

James Franco falls down a hole and gets his arm trapped by a big rock. While in said hole he is haunted by hallucinations, bad dreams extreme pain and he makes a sort of confessional he makes a video for his family while he slowly starves to death. If Nic Cage has perfected mega acting Danny Boyle seems to want to use Cages blueprint for his own invention - mega directing. it's a man trapped in a hole but Boyle directs the action as though it's a red bull extreme sport. No shot lasts longer than a few seconds and as a result the whole thing feels like it's a sort of hybrid psychological/action/dream sequence/ adreniline ride as a result you never really get an idea of what must have been crushing boring, desperate and utterly terrifying experience. Franco is good at what he's doing but he always seems like he's "acting" acting (if you get me) especially when talking to his camcorder which should seem much more natural. The whole thing zips by very (very) quickly and the 127 hours seem far more like the 90 minute running time rather than the worst 5 days of a mans life. The problem is that the word "slow" - as in man "slowly" dying never seems to have been mentioned by anyone involved. It's not bad but it's just too much all at once to really get any feeling for the central character and as a result his issues in his life / fear of death seem hurridly explained and poorly expanded upon, when the film lurches into towards it's horrific (and it is horrific to be fair) and poignant finale there just isn't that much poignancy as Franco seems too much like a douchebag to really care about him. That said it's worth seeing for the mega-directing. Presumably this is what it's like to go rock climbing inside Nic Cages head.

Not as good as I'd hoped but not bad at all

And Joelin Donohue can now take pride of place in the 'IGTHF' thread

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

and Tom Noonan is always good

good movie that. his follow up, The Innkeepers, was a disappointing pile of shit which is a massive shame

haywire-poster.jpg

You have to give them props on the geographical realism also.
Like the chase from the Shelbourne to Chatham Lane was accurate as was the rooftop dash from Wynn's.

I really enjoyed it overall.

You have to give them props on the geographical realism also.
Like the chase from the Shelbourne to Chatham Lane was accurate as was the rooftop dash from Wynn's.

I really enjoyed it overall.

The soundtrack bugged me a bit.

It was good to see a female action hero who didn't look like she would snap like a twig in a breeze (I'm looking at you Kate Beckinsale).

Soderberg is the cheesiest director in the world, but somehow manages to edit everything together in a sophisticated way.

coriolanus-film.jpg

This is pretty good. Fiennes does good righteous anger. Also Jon Snow pretty much plays himself. For the easily amused among you, it's pronounced Coriol-anus.

house-poster.jpg

Grand, would have been better if Gary Busey was hiding in the house.

The soundtrack bugged me a bit.

It was good to see a female action hero who didn't look like she would snap like a twig in a breeze (I'm looking at you Kate Beckinsale).

And Angelina in Salt. So ridiculous.

The Haywire movie was slightly ruined by my date saying half way through "You know that's Laura San Giacomo's voice that they dubbed over hers"
She was totally correct of course, but I couldn't not notice it after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back