What movie did you watch last night? (2 Viewers)

Young+Adult.jpg

Good stuff. Charlize Theron is great.

23292_125360140826460_3331_n.jpg

I'm a huge Conan Doyle/Holmes fan so I really should hate these fillms but i don't. Caught the new movie last night and enjoyed along with a few ciders (it was a 4 can problem :). I really like Jude Law as Watson and despite RDJ zanny interpetation of the great detective you can't help but like him. Stephen Fry was good casting for Mycroft but the character was a little spineless for my taste. The scenes with Holmes and Moriarty together where the best parts of the film.

Didn't like Moran too much - he was no gentleman. There is no way they'd let him into all those clubs that he'd be later thrown out of. So its pretty much more of the same and if you can ignore the over the Kung FU fights (sorry I mean baritsu)you may enjoy it...

23292_125360140826460_3331_n.jpg

I'm a huge Conan Doyle/Holmes fan so I really should hate these fillms but i don't. Caught the new movie last night and enjoyed along with a few ciders (it was a 4 can problem :). I really like Jude Law as Watson and despite RDJ zanny interpetation of the great detective you can't help but like him. Stephen Fry was good casting for Mycroft but the character was a little spineless for my taste. The scenes with Holmes and Moriarty together where the best parts of the film.

Didn't like Moran too much - he was no gentleman. There is no way they'd let him into all those clubs that he'd be later thrown out of. So its pretty much more of the same and if you can ignore the over the Kung FU fights (sorry I mean baritsu)you may enjoy it...

I re-watched the first one recently. I enjoyed it.

I'd certainly prefer it to any of Ritchie's gangster films which are fun but just all surface - all the time I watch them I think "Jesus, I bet if Chris Evans was on TV he'd love this" which is the reaction I have to a lot of English films and music that still seem to be stick in an different era - the Loaded Era.

I fucking detest Sherlock Holmes in general - even as a kid I thought it was complete bunkum. The mad leaps of deduction from flimsy evidence drove me nuts along with the "yes, watson I have made a study of all the types of mud in London" nonsense.

images

Watched this the other night. Very good, although not particularly light entertainment.

I liked how they showed the insurgents getting ever more desparate as the war wore on, to the point of suidice attacks. It had a lot of resonance with the Arab Spring at the end also - the spontaneous uprising after a largely quelled terrorist campaign. Also, one could see the influence on movies like City Of God with the shoot-outs and guerilla warfare in the slums. I don't really know the history of that time and place, but it seemed even-handed. Both sides commit atrocities and both sides feel justified in their actions. That said, it's quite a European (Italian-Algerian to be precise) movie, even down to it's Morricone-collaborated soundtrack, so it might be a little Euro-centric. One minor criticism would be that you're often aware that you're watching first-time actors, despite some of them being surprisingly good.

Great movie

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I watched Snatch again last night after being peppered with ads for Holmes during the football.

The movie is a fair bit over-stylised but Brick Top is a great villain and Brad Pitt is really remarkable as the gypo.

Great movie

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
+

I just thought for an American he got all the intonations dean on with the accent.
I remember thinking it at the time, noticed it again last night.

+

I just thought for an American he got all the intonations dean on with the accent.
I remember thinking it at the time, noticed it again last night.

Yeah, and all the little facial expressions, shrugs, etc. I read that he slummed it with a group of real travellers for a week to prep himself for the role. That might just be an urban myth though...

Yeah, and all the little facial expressions, shrugs, etc. I read that he slummed it with a group of real travellers for a week to prep himself for the role. That might just be an urban myth though...

I honestly don't know how else you'd do it. It's spot on, biy.

I was checking for my wallet every time he spoke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back