What movie did you watch last night? (4 Viewers)

lmd64 said:
ohdearfuckinggod

the banner ad on the top of that imdb page was for Vin Diesel's new movie. The Pacifier.
78m.jpg

a new low
photogallery

Ha looks like Vin Diesel really is trying to be the new Arnie, and now he's trying to make comedy films only to realise that he's shit at comedy. Of course, Arnie is genius at comedy.

plug said:
I assume you're talking about happiness? I love the scene at the start with the first sister joy breaks up with yer man man jon lovitz in the restaurant. squirmtasic!

Nah Palindromes is the new Todd Solondz film. Showed it at the film fest last night. Most of the characters are children this time so he's stretching his humor/shock horror pretty far.

carcass said:
Nah Palindromes is the new Todd Solondz film. Showed it at the film fest last night. Most of the characters are children this time so he's stretching his humor/shock horror pretty far.
aha! the image you linked to didn't display so I didn't have a clue what movie you were talking about. so when you mentioned pervert I assumed it was happiness. been looking forward to seeing palindromes for a little while, if it ever shows up in the kino. fingers crossed. how do you rate it against his other movies?

Well I haven't seen Welcome to the Dollhouse in about 8 years but thinkin about renting it out tonight.
I adore Happiness. The first time I saw it I was quite drunk and laughing my arse off. Woke up the next morning and thought I was the sick puppy till I watched it again and knew my inebriated reactions were right.
Didnt like storytelling so much, just didnt laugh so much.
Palindromes is on the Happiness scale where ypur reallly questioning how you just laughed at that. I would definetly sugest it and watch out for Peter Paul hes a dream boat!

carcass said:
Well I haven't seen Welcome to the Dollhouse in about 8 years but thinkin about renting it out tonight.
I adore Happiness. The first time I saw it I was quite drunk and laughing my arse off. Woke up the next morning and thought I was the sick puppy till I watched it again and knew my inebriated reactions were right.
Didnt like storytelling so much, just didnt laugh so much.
Palindromes is on the Happiness scale where ypur reallly questioning how you just laughed at that. I would definetly sugest it and watch out for Peter Paul hes a dream boat!
as I've probably said earlier welcome to the dollhouse is one of my favourite movies ever. don't think it's out on dvd, which is a bummer (I hate vhs). storytelling seems to be generally regarded as a dud, but only by solondz's own standards I think. for instance the first (shorter) story is absolutely classic, and I think it's kind of overlooked as a short. which it is I suppose.. :confused:

plug said:
as I've probably said earlier welcome to the dollhouse is one of my favourite movies ever. don't think it's out on dvd, which is a bummer (I hate vhs). storytelling seems to be generally regarded as a dud, but only by solondz's own standards I think. for instance the first (shorter) story is absolutely classic, and I think it's kind of overlooked as a short. which it is I suppose.. :confused:

Welcome To The Dollhouse is out on Region 1 DVD.

I have spent many years collecting/taping movies on VHS and find it very hard to hate the format. Yes, DVD is superior and should be the format of choice if you want to own something but VHS does the job reasonably effectively otherwise.

Storytelling gets better with repeated viewings. I taped it off Film Four. ;)
But Happiness is the best. Such a funny movie. Can't wait to see Palindromes.

The Deer Hunter.

fucking made me want to blow my brains out. amazing film. far too upsetting though. as always, Walken is fucking unreal - as is De Niro.

Just got back from seeing The aquatic life with Steve Zissou. Fan-fucking-tastic. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a film this much. Brilliant.

Stan Bowles said:
Just got back from seeing The aquatic life with Steve Zissou. Fan-fucking-tastic. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a film this much. Brilliant.

It's great, huh? fucking love Wes Anderson movies!

avernus said:
It's great, huh? fucking love Wes Anderson movies!

Yep it really is. Bill Murray is brilliant, and Willem Defoe's character is hillarious. Laughing all the way through we were. Apart from the sad bits. I think the last time I laughed so consistently in a cinema was when I saw best in show.

So to summarise: Fan-fucking-tastic.

Yeah thumbs up for Steve Zissou!

Really enjoyable. I didn't think it was laugh-out-loud funny all the way but like Wes Andersons other ones it'll get funnier each time you watch it ... which is a pretty rare quality. Bill Murray, as always, is class.

we could see you and your missis down the front, you were about 15 rows in front of us.

I fucking loved this, I especially love his attention to detail and because I notice these sort of things I always really appreciate the attention that goes into the production design in his films. The combination of an amazing cast, the humour, the downright bizarreness of a lot of it and the yellow submarine-tastic CGI just made this a really really great film.

Oh yes, Hugh - so did you think it was worth the 15 bucks a ticket then?

So the surprise film was the Jacket - which sounds like a supernatural hoary load of old bollocks.

kirstie said:
Oh yes, Hugh - so did you think it was worth the 15 bucks a ticket then?

So the surprise film was the Jacket - which sounds like a supernatural hoary load of old bollocks.

Definately worth the 15 (though we went to see two others also so didn't notice the membership fee so much). And going to see movies in that sort of context is much better than normal cinema cos (a) you get to see it in Savoy 1 and (b) everyone there is totally into it and paying attention and there are no dicks sitting behind you trying to get off with their girlfriends or talking on their mobiles. Of course you have the other kind of film-geek dicks instead going on about their shite but at least they all shut up as soon as the film comes on.

We were at the Jacket. It was okay ..... starts off like it is going to be scary and sinister but then goes a bit nicey-nice. Surprise film is always good fun becuase you usually get to see something with absolutely no preconceptions of what it's going to be like. A good few years back it was Usual Suspects. That was deadly obviously ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back