What movie did you watch last night? (4 Viewers)

they_live_movie_poster1.jpg

This I believe is an allegory about capitalism or scientography or something. Roddy Piper (billed here as just plain old Roddy Piper, but old people like me will remember him from his time when he was in the Worldwide Wrestling Fund and was Rowdy Roddy Piper) finds out that there are aliens walking amongst us and controlling our thoughts, as nefarious aliens tend to do. Roddy gets rowdy and announces his intent to chew bubblegum and kick ass, but unfortunately is all out of bubblegum. This is good.

What he means is IT'S FUCKING AMAZZZZZZZZINGGGGGG!!!!!

Of course it's amazing, Rowdy Roddy Piper is in it.
Next up: The Bad Pack, which looks like a remake of the Magnificent Seven, but with Roddy Piper, Marshall Teague and Bennett from Commando.

l_137294_0080120_67e39848.jpg

Awesome flick, I've not seen it in ages but it was on ITV 4 last week, the fact that it's so dated makes it even more enjoyable and the fight scenes are really well done..... not to sure about the clothes though !!!

red-river_420.jpg

The perfect flick to pass a hungover Sunday afternoon, the ending is unintentially hilarious though.

200px-Onetough.jpg

aka One Man's Justice, which sounds more like the kind of thing TV3 used to show that would be based on a true story and incredibly tedious. Brian Bosworth, apparently better known as the Boz, goes into a coma after trying to stop a robbery (like Seagal in Hard to Kill) and when he wakes up his daughter dies so he's Out for Justice (also like Seagal). This is one of those action films not actually made in the 80s even though it feels like it, much like the Boz's classic Stone Cold (really only a classic because of Craig R Baxley, Lance Henriksen and William Forsythe, not the Boz). Anyway, this is nowhere near as good as Stone Cold, but it's highly watchable. Bruce Payne is a corrupt FBI type, MC Hammer as criminal boss dude, some kid as some kid working for the bad guys who gets shown the error of his ways by the Boz (actually, the Boz shows the bad guys the error of their ways too, but a touch more permanently).

saw this film for the third time

513KpKhefYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

needless to say i like it

it had been critisied by houellebecq in an irish times interview (ok, guardian interview, the irish times published) but i strongly disagree with houellebecq view on it, aswell as his views on a lot of other things

saw this film for the third time

513KpKhefYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

needless to say i like it

it had been critisied by houellebecq in an irish times interview (ok, guardian interview, the irish times published) but i strongly disagree with houellebecq view on it, aswell as his views on a lot of other things

I didn't love it but I did really enjoy the portrayal of Bruno. I' be interested to see what Houellebecq had to say actually.

The_Breakfast_Club.jpg

Shit, shit , shitty shit film. No idea why I watched it again but there was nothing else on at the time and my house mate was watching it. One of the most overrated films of all time, irritarting characters, God awful Simple Minds and Bender is one of the most annoying chatacers ever on a par with Ferris Bueller.

EscapefromNYposter.jpg

Much more like it and saved me from ranting about all 80s films. They did sci fi so well back then and Snake Pliskon is a fantastic character.

Man_on_fireposter.jpg

Tony Scott's bananas direction aside this was a very enjoyable and over the top revenge / kidnap flick with a great Christopher Walken cameo delivering the line "A man can be an artist... in anything, food, whatever. It depends on how good he is at it. Creasey's art is death. He's about to paint his masterpiece" in a way only he can.

I didn't love it but I did really enjoy the portrayal of Bruno. I' be interested to see what Houellebecq had to say actually.

found it on guardian website

He has mixed feelings about other film versions of his work. He liked French director Philippe Harel's Whatever (1999), a bleak comedy about a misanthropic systems engineer on which Houellebecq collaborated closely. But he is withering when it comes to German director Oskar Roehler's 2006 film, The Elementary Particles, based on his novel Atomised. "It was a big disappointment," he says. "The actors are good but that, in my opinion, was the only good thing. Technically, it is not very good, the script is not good."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/aug/13/michelhouellebecq.france

my recollection was that he was more scathing but i was wrong

Yeah Man on fire is suprisingly not totally shit. Tony Scott is a loon. The scene in the rave club is gas.

Last night I watched The Men Who Stare at Goats
men-who-stare-goats-posters.jpg

Enjoyable hokum altogether. like the Cohens directed Three Kings. None too taxing and well paced and acted. Not enough goats though. Watch the extras, the real people involved are fucking mental. Optomistic, dreamy, draughted hippies underwritten by a desperate pentagon demoralised by it's defeat by asian lads in pyjamas.

UK-The-Ghost-Poster-399x300.jpg

The Ghost - I thought it was quite decent, my friends were bored by it though.. Pierce Brosnan and Olivia Williams especially are good as the thinly-fictionalised Tony Blair type character and his wife, Ewan McGregor is okay. The bleak atmospheric stuff and ominous building tension are done well, and I liked the pacing being more measured like an old-style thriller.. It gets a bit silly as more potboiler cliches are introduced and the underlying conspiracy theory idea makes the whole thing feel like hokum in restrospect (and undercuts any serious commentary about Blair and the US-UK political relationship that they might have tried to make) but it's well made and enjoyable enough.

UK-The-Ghost-Poster-399x300.jpg

The Ghost - I thought it was quite decent, my friends were bored by it though.. Pierce Brosnan and Olivia Williams especially are good as the thinly-fictionalised Tony Blair type character and his wife, Ewan McGregor is okay. The bleak atmospheric stuff and ominous building tension are done well, and I liked the pacing being more measured like an old-style thriller.. It gets a bit silly as more potboiler cliches are introduced and the underlying conspiracy theory idea makes the whole thing feel like hokum in restrospect (and undercuts any serious commentary about Blair and the US-UK political relationship that they might have tried to make) but it's well made and enjoyable enough.

i want to see this, i'm a big polanski fan, but why did he have to go and cast ewan mcgregor in this? fucker turns my stomach

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back