What movie did you watch last night? (19 Viewers)

There Will Be Blood again finally.

Really is very good. Love the risks taken. Making a film about oil (boring) giving Johnny Greenwood the soundtrack (sounds mad fresh).

Bastard in a basket.

'ghost in the shell', but the maligned recent version with scarlett johanssen. it's alright, visually quite like a big budget version of many different computer games.

45 years, about the week leading up to a couple's anniversary. Very good, lots of emotional heft, brilliantly acted. charlotte Rampling especially.

Bit depressed by the notion that having met herself in my late 30's thay even if all goes to plan we probably won't get that long together.

Yesterday: Titane. Fuckin so good, totally amazin. It's almost like a film that was specifically made to annoy Christians. Plus it has Vincent Lindon in it, the greatest actor in France and total legend. I can't believe this won the Palme D'Or, hahaha, The Oscars would have shit themselves if they'd had to consider it for anything more than 'best foreign movie'. Christian Murca would go fuckin mental if it won best film haha.
I'm considering seeing it again, it's hilarious and horrible and great. There's no fucking about, within the first 10 minutes mad shit is going down. A bunch of oul people walked out within the first half hour hahaha. Tell ya what, this would be one of the greatest first date films ever, you'd know within 15 minutes whether you were with someone worth the effort hahahaha.
Oh also the score is fuckin awesome, great the whole way through, and then at the end they fire up Bach's St Matthew Passion just for any musically-aware Christians to get even more pissed off, hahahahahaha.

Today: Kingsman film. Pretty fuckin weak really. The first hour-ish was alright just for Rhys Ifans as Rasputin, which was extremely entertaining even with the fucking shit accent. This film can be summed up by: Bad directing, Terrible score.
The directing is best exemplified by the moment when they build up to what could have been a fucking great flowing fight scene with Raspy, only for them to fucking cut away after about 3 seconds to an outside shot that utterly interrupts the flow. Djimon Honsou and Raspy still make a great go of it, but it's just an utterly shit decision to do cut-aways like that in the middle of what would be the best fight scene in the film.
The score, just awful. It's one of those film scores that just has no idea when to shut the fuck up, and can't shut the fuck up. Just continuous bollocks, and it's really distracting at times too.
In fairness this film isn't all bad, most of the actors are very good in their roles, although their roles are cliched and prescribed. You could argue this is due to 'history', but it's not like the story gives an actual fuck about historical events around the time. It's fine to have a laugh with the period, grand, but then could you not try and give the characters something to work with too? It's alright for Raspy, there's so much shit written about him you can basically get away with anything in that role, but do most of the main characters have to just be a rehash of those other Kingsman films? It's all very predictable unfortunately, and even the likes of Fiennes being a class actor can't help that.
I guess the other good thing here is the couple of good fight scenes in it, the aforementioned Rasputin one and a good no-mans land fight scene that is pretty well done. There are some decent 'camera shots' like previous films, but it mostly feels pretty trite here.

Anyway that's enough about that, if you have to choose between those two you'd be a fool not to take Titane. I mean, it might make you walk out within half an hour, but it's fuckin genius really hahaha.

finally got round to watching 'akira' last night. i don't know much about manga cinema, so this was a little weird in a few ways - partly cos the version i watched is dubbed, and the OTT voice acting was off-putting. the pacing seemed strange too, almost like the film had scenes truncated. but some of the visuals were amazing.

Deep Impact ..was great in the cinema and still great all these years later
Judy ..fucking excellent
Close Encounters ..BO DEE DOO BEE BOOP

There was someone who used to post here who's signature was something like "you're mad. You're madder than the accumulated madness of Japan."

I always loved that.

Akira is deadly! I’ve no real interest or knowledge of anime in general but it’s great regardless of knowing the conventions (which I think it set a lot of anyway). The comic is brilliant too but I’ve only read the first book.

The Lost Daughter. Very good yeah. Our very own Jessie Buckley impressed me a lot more than Olivia Coleman who just does the same slightly befuddled posh lady thing in every film. Paul Mescal is laughably bad in this.

Licorice Pizza - felt like a bit of a companion piece to Inherent Vice, being firstly another 'Paul Thomas Anderson does the 70s' and secondly a shaggy dog story with a good bit of comedy thrown in that seems to follow every random detour all the way down (though in many ways a lot easier to follow than that film). Two thirds of the way through I was wondering where exactly it was going, but it does eventually come together into a reasonably satisfying climax. I suspect that like Inherent Vice it might grow with repeat viewings. Your one from Haim is a decent actress, who knew.

Also saw Big Trouble in Little China, which I had somehow never seen before, (thanks to the Blank Check podcast John Carpenter series for getting me to watch it), great fun altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back