what about shopping local? (1 Viewer)

The Superquinn in the village is like something post hurricane Katrina and the car park is tiny. Dunnes in Charlestown has an underground car park and I once saw Shane, the tough one from Boyzone there.

how long's it been since super crazy prices?i remember their shop out in ballybrack,laid out like a warehouse with shelves all the way to the roof and lads working climbing about the shelves like monkeys.had my hand sliced open and my head split in there too,dangerous place.

Apples and oranges, a local store will buy 10 maybe 100 loaves a week, Tesco and all those evil corporations may buy 1000s, even 10,000s. I know it's a pain in the arse but those with clout pretty much always use it. It's still better to buy a local brand anywhere than buy a non-local brand anywhere though presumably. And realistically for the "end-user" of bread, it's gonna be cheaper in a supermarket than a cornershop.

Oh yeah, i don't disagree with realistic end of it. the last thing on most shoppers minds is the 'made in' section of the package, and as pete states 'it is huge/has everything' so people with precious little time don't waste days wandering about niche stores trying to achieve everyday tasks.
In my own case, where A: My income is the tax you pay B: i have spare time C: live in one of the most unemployed parts of the country I think its sort of the best option to not funnel whatever the taxpayers/state is giving me directly into a multinational which has no moral ties to the neighbourhood. I have some great whacked out theories that if the 450,000 unemployed were all forced to buy irish for a week, by the end of the week there might be closer to 420,000.

images

149152_10150131871289251_368667149250_8031973_5819207_n.jpg

trying out this stuff this week. seems grand so far, supposedly healthier too. costs about the same as olive oil (glass bottle type).

I was wondering what's the best way of buying electronics/musical equipment/computers etc. that most benefits our economy? Is it all much of a muchness?

Well i spose the thing to consider is overheads, who will benifit from them.

If you buy refurbished/2nd hand in ireland then profit stays at home.
If you buy from chain store then its at the discretion of the store to pay local wages as opposed to overseas.
If you buy online only the postman/delivery folks benefit locally.

I'm just sorta thinking out loud.

journal.ie added 2c to this article:

The new promotion has drawn the ire of the Consumers’ Association of Ireland and of MEP Mairead McGuinness, both of whom have accused the supermarket of unfair pricing practices.
But there’s no legal resource that can be taken against the supermarket – because its actions, although perhaps immoral, are not illegal.
The 2007 Consumer Information Act requires sales promotions, if they’re giving a comparative price for a product now being advertised as discounted, only to use a ‘before’ price that had been in place for a “reasonable period” beforehand.
Although there’s no specified time for how long is considered a ‘reasonable period’, that new law replaced a previous one from 1978 which specifically required that such prices be in place for 28 consecutive days within the previous three month period.
So, for example, a retailer can’t raise the price of a good by a few cent for a day or two, reduce the price again, and then advertise it as having been reduced – the ‘pre-sale’ price would have to have been in place for four weeks solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back