what about shopping local? (2 Viewers)

A waxie put wax on the laces of the British soldiers back in the day I think. They're also mentioned in Monto "Where the waxies singo..."

The Tesco in Phibsboro is dismal. :(

I buy all my fresh fruit and veg from China.

superquinn is a bit of a mystery to anyone north of whatever is right above dublin on the map. whats the deal? hippies?? co-op?? local??

they're not that expensive really though and they have good deals too.
ill have to admit most of my shopping gets done in lidl/aldi,they do the best houmous in the country.occasionally i buy my bread in the local bakery,however i bought a pan of something or other in there before christmas and it cost the guts of 5 euro,that's far too much.
i will try get my fruit and veg in the greengrocers in future and see how much more/less it costs.

are superquinn actually local food/irish food or are they just another chain store??

things like hoummouosmououous dont count, as chickpeas and sesame seeds aren't traditionally cultivated in ireland so there isnt much choice in importing. thats too much for bread. i get a loaf for less than 2 euro thats baked in letterk. defo its way more that 55p tesco white load, it actually has a flavor and tastes like food though.

superquinn have a *much* better variety of choice than tesco. and as far as i can tell, stock more irish goods. plus, the profits stay in the country.

they compare fairly well with price on tesco. i think a lot of the reputation for price stems from the fact that they do stock more expensive stuff, but that's down to having a larger range. yer average tesco shopper would faint at the thought of twelve quid on a bottle of olive oil.

"At Superquinn 4 out of every 5 euro we spend is on fresh produce from local suppliers." http://www.superquinn.ie/category/CompanyProfile/158.0

my weekly shop consists mostly of stuff that cant be produced in ireland-the aforementioned houmous,rice,avocados,couscous,peppers,bananas etc.about the only thing i eat produced in ireland is potatoes and apples and both seem to be in short supply.i do try buy local on a continental scale though,brit potatoes and french apples seem to be widely available so they suffice.

I always try to buy local - bread/ cakes from bakeries (Blazing Salads or Bretzel), fruit & Veg from Temple Bar market or Fallon and Byrne. I rarely buy meat, but if I do, it definitely has Irish Q mark. If the products I want are, by their nature, imported, I tend to buy them in independent outlets - Fallon and Byrne, Mortons, Fresh etc. But then, I'm pretty much a complete food snob, work with many small food producers and don't have any kids eating into my budget, so I guess I can afford it.

Don't get me started on Tesco

And, according to ....
A study by the New Economics Foundation in London found that every £10 spent at a local food business is worth £25 for the local area, compared with just £14 when the same amount is spent in a supermarket. That is, a pound (or euro) spent locally generates more than twice as much income for the local economy.
In sum, small food businesses selling through routes to market other than the supermarket, contribute disproportionately more in terms of labour and spending patterns.
See more here, if you like....http://olivermoore.blogspot.com/2010/11/artisan-food-and-recovery-thats-more.html

i used to be sort of in love with tesco when i was living on 18euro a week. not so much now. the one redeemable part of tesco or any of those big stores is that they have furiously intelligent customer databases based on the clubcard system. its very clinical but it does reduce waste. they know what you buy, how often you buy it so they dont often have large overstock problems.

on the other hand they really screw farmers over. everytime you see a farmer protest with a pile of tractors on the m50 or o connell street its related directly or indirectly to chain stores.

i used to be sort of in love with tesco when i was living on 18euro a week. not so much now. the one redeemable part of tesco or any of those big stores is that they have furiously intelligent customer databases based on the clubcard system. its very clinical but it does reduce waste. they know what you buy, how often you buy it so they dont often have large overstock problems.

on the other hand they really screw farmers over. everytime you see a farmer protest with a pile of tractors on the m50 or o connell street its related directly or indirectly to chain stores.

Thats true on both counts... probably why they make ridiculous profits here...

RETAIL GIANT Tesco makes greater profits in Ireland than in any other part of its global empire apart from South Korea, according to a new report.

Tesco Ireland’s profit margin will rise in the current financial year to over 7 per cent, despite the economic downturn and the slump in the grocery trade, the report by UK stockbroker Shore Capital forecasts. The figure is relatively high for the traditionally high-volume, low-margin retail sector. The Irish Ebit (earnings before interest and taxes) margin of 7.2 per cent is the highest in Europe, and compares with 7 per cent in Poland and less than 5 per cent in Hungary and the Czech and Slovak republics. Only South Korea, with a margin of 7.4 per cent, is outperforming Ireland.

Profits in the Republic will reach almost €200 million for the financial year up to February 2011, according to the report prepared for investors. They are then forecast to increase further to almost €285 million by the year 2015.
Tesco, in common with most of its retail rivals, does not provide separate profit figures for its Irish business. It declined to comment yesterday on the figures contained in the report.

Clive Black, an analyst with Shore Capital, said profit margins in the Irish retail trade tended to be high. “It may be easy to hit Tesco over its margins but you need to look at its competitors too.”
Last year, Tesco was aiming to record a gross profit margin of over 9 per cent in the Republic, according to an internal business plan seen by The Irish Times. However, the company then cut the prices of many groceries and switched to direct importation of many lines from the UK in an effort to stem the flow of cross-Border shopping. The strategy ate into profits but paid off in many areas and Tesco now enjoys a 27 per cent market share.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1103/1224282560226.html

was it kanturk where tesco put in a planning application for a store on the outskirts of the town, but were told by the planning authority that an application for a store in the town would be looked on more favourably? tesco demurred, and the application was turned down. several small shops have opened up in the town since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back