what about shopping local? (1 Viewer)

nordie (and britain mainland) milk is subject to different farming and processing regulations, which is why cadburys manufactured in ireland tastes better than uk cadbury.
did you see the panorama a few weeks ago called something like 'the cost of low price food'?
they visited the US, and pointed out that the way pigs are reared there would make them illegal for sale in the UK - they're injected every day with antibiotics and growth hormone, and reach maturity in several months, which should usually take two years.

i think i've seen that before, or a very similar one. i watched food inc. about 3 or 4 months ago aswell. lefty documentaries save lives.

also, they aren't actually lefty.

124 jobs are to go at the Gallagher's Bakery company in Ardara in County Donegal.
Workers were told of the losses at a meeting with management this afternoon.
t's as a result of the ending of the company's frozen production line.
The company was set up by the Gallagher family in 1968 and which is now part of the Swiss food company, Aryzta.
Gallagher's produces its own soda and other breads as well as the French Mill brand and it sells to Tesco, Dunnes Stores and Harrods in London.

thats about .5 of a cent on to everyones annual tax bill once these lads hit the dole office.

also, ardara has a population of 578 people.

it was a bit sketch of me to post that in this thread really.

i'd imagine the parent company just cant see any logic in having anything in donegal - the road to dublin from here is last on the list for fixing (and 50% in the north) and seemingly the clients are tesco, dunnes and london, so dublin is a more profitable base for making the bread. From the sounds of the re-structure numbers, i'd say that they are just going to cover the product base thats driveable from ardara - in certain ways its an inevitable move financially based on the spider like road network in ireland that connects all the tescii and dunneses with its body being the m50. I'd the swedes are happy enough with the brand name in their pocket and will move where the money takes them from here. Theres probably a good argument for the factory being bigger than its market up here, but i still think if folk were more precious about what they buy it wouldn't be as extreme a move as it is.

Pat the Baker is Ireland's champion baker. We are over 50 years in business, with over 400 employees and offices throughout Ireland,
the Pat the Baker brand name is known in every household across
the country.

Johnston Mooney & O'Brien, an Irish owned company, has been synonymous with the best in baking tasty breads and morning goods for more than 171 years in Ireland.

I don't have a local bakery any more, except Superquinn, does it count? But most bread bought in Ireland is bought from Irish companies I would imagine. Of course depends on what definition you want for local, local to Donegal or local to the country or local to the island etc.

not really related to the original thread, but i started reading jonathan safran foer's 'eating animals' recently.
good fuck, it's tough going. and makes me glad factory farming has not hit ireland as bad as it has in the states.

The thing about buying locally sourced in the case of actually walking into tesco/dunnes etc as opposed to going to a local corner shop is that the typical formula is that tesco will only stock a non tesco brand product at the lowest possible (or sometimes almost negative) profit for the manufactuter. Also they will enter contracts with locals to produce the non/shop brand product which generic/cheaper/shit which puts the local producers in competition with one and other essentially.

To give some kind of example, the book company i moonlight with produce a book that costs a tenner on the shelves. small books stores were giving us between 7-8 euro of that. when we approached a certain international book chain, we were offered 5.50. Bearing in mind, the books were costing us 4.50ish to make.

The thing about buying locally sourced in the case of actually walking into tesco/dunnes etc as opposed to going to a local corner shop is that the typical formula is that tesco will only stock a non tesco brand product at the lowest possible (or sometimes almost negative) profit for the manufactuter. Also they will enter contracts with locals to produce the non/shop brand product which generic/cheaper/shit which puts the local producers in competition with one and other essentially.

To give some kind of example, the book company i moonlight with produce a book that costs a tenner on the shelves. small books stores were giving us between 7-8 euro of that. when we approached a certain international book chain, we were offered 5.50. Bearing in mind, the books were costing us 4.50ish to make.

Apples and oranges, a local store will buy 10 maybe 100 loaves a week, Tesco and all those evil corporations may buy 1000s, even 10,000s. I know it's a pain in the arse but those with clout pretty much always use it. It's still better to buy a local brand anywhere than buy a non-local brand anywhere though presumably. And realistically for the "end-user" of bread, it's gonna be cheaper in a supermarket than a cornershop.

I have stopped shopping in Tescos because it is a truley horrendous experience. The people are ugly, there are gangs of shites running around, the workers are surly, it has got the worst offie in the world and no matter what time of day you go, there are mad queues and you always have to park miles away. Last, but not least, there are always about ten cars parked in the disabled spaces and no one with a wheelchair or even a pronounced limp in the shop, which really gets my goat.

We do our weekly shop in Dunnes partly because it's Irish, but mostly because it's just a way nicer experience. We buy all of our meat in the local butchers, our fish in Howth or Kish, most of our beer at the local offie and all of our coffee slices and cream cakes at the local bakery.

We tried having the local organic veg delivered, but jaysus was it expensive in the end and they usually gave us veg we wouldn't have a clue what to do with. Celeriac? wtf?

I have stopped shopping in Tescos because it is a truley horrendous experience. The people are ugly, there are gangs of shites running around, the workers are surly, it has got the worst offie in the world and no matter what time of day you go, there are mad queues and you always have to park miles away.
let me guess - tesco phibsboro?

why would you go to tesco in finglas when there's superquinn there too? decent parking, and not as busy (compared to tesco in phibs anyway)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back