Weezer! (1 Viewer)

This fucking ruled. I even liked most of the new stuff, apart from peace which still sounds like a second rate oasis song, and haunt you down which is still dull, but they are only minor complaints. Personal higlight of the night - My Name Is Jonas.

Nice to meet the nnnlllgggbbbbblllbbbttttthhh as well.

Yeah twas a good one. Still a bit disappointed about no "Only In Dreams" but there you go. Interesting to note the ecstatic reaction to songs off Pinkerton and Blue compared to the mute reactions for the tracks from the other three albums.

yeah had a fucking amazing time. they kicked ass, even though Rivers Cuomo is like an inanimate carbon rod. disappointed they didnt play Only in dreams, The World has turned, Keep Fishing, El Scorcho, Surf Wax America - but hey, they played a lot of great shit. My name is Jonas was fucking brilliant. reminded me of how amazing it was to first listen to the blue album.

So much fun. headed down to the pinkertons in dorans after. they were good, but it was a total sweatfest so we bailed after Keep Fishing.

Can't believe its been 10 years wanting to see them and now I got to. So glad they didnt disappoint.

!!!

:D

Vinnie said:
I was appalled by their utter failure to even try and engage with the rapture of 1200 people. It was like watching four nerds record an album. Very very disappointing.

I wouldn't say I was disappointed but I agree with everything else...no stage presence at all...Rivers looked like he would prefer to be at home playing Dungeons and Dragons, and there was little or no communication with the audience between songs...solid and professional, I suppose...best moment was the twiddly guitar bit in 'Buddy Holly'.

If you could have taken the performance of the Subways and injected it into the tunes of Weezer you would have had some gig.

this gig definitely had its moments and when they clicked it was fucking awesome but overall i left pretty disapointed. things went downhill after the the guitar player's "get you". what the fuck was that about? so out of tune it was almost back in tune. and there was a definite vibe between him and rivers. the second half of the gig with a couple of exceptions dragged.
great to finally see them. but doesnt come anywhere near being a great gig. it had the potential cos the audience was really up for it but with zero enthusiasm from the band it was never going to ignite the atmosphere. I've never seen a crowd go from screaming their heads off and flipping out in utter joy to going completely quiet and subdued as their ears tried to digest the cacophony of a band trying to get their shit together during the next song. with tunes like my name is jonas and buddy holly you'll always win a crowd back in an instant. but the gulf between their good moments and their really bad moments was way too wide to make this a wholly enjoyable experience. rivers is a fascinating character tho. perfectly groomed nerdiness. i want one of those lightening guitar straps. and his song writing ability.

I had feared the worst for this but it wasn't too bad. Thank god for the blue & pinkerton stuff. Would have liked surf wax or dreams thrown in there too. Cool crowd surfing during Hash Pipe. Saw the arse end of the Subways & boy do they seriously suck.

oh and i had a tone deaf fucktard in front of me all night shouting along to all the songs whether he knew the lyrics or not. he even sang along to some of the solos :mad:. he has a hole in his head this morning from the intensity of my "you are a fucktard" glare. maybe he didnt even make it home due to his brains dripping out of the hole and onto the floor in the kebab shop.

Donkey OJ said:
oh and i had a tone deaf fucktard in front of me all night shouting along to all the songs whether he knew the lyrics or not. he even sang along to some of the solos :mad:. he has a hole in his head this morning from the intensity of my "you are a fucktard" glare. maybe he didnt even make it home due to his brains dripping out of the hole and onto the floor in the kebab shop.
Yeah, it would've been nice if people had held their whist. Rivers ain't the loudest singer now. Some of the clapping was waaaay off too.

I thought it was great. I pretty much knew what to expect from them on stage (zero movement and communication as mentioned earlier) so it was always going to be about the choice of songs and the atmos. Neither of those dissapointed. During the newer songs I noticed much more people just standing, watching and singing along with smiles on their faces as opposed to the "jonas" freak out. So to say that the crowd weren't into the new stuff is not true. There always going to be people at gigs who only know the "hits" (in fact there was a couple if chatty pricks near us who only came alive for Island In The Sun).
Getcho sounded like a Weezer tribute band and yes there was definately a vibe between rivers and brian. Highlights were "Jonas" and "the good life" and it was nice to finally get something from The Green Album at the end.
Guitar sounds were really nice and fat, the guitar action was excellent between the two boys.
I think the lack of crowd interaction and mumbling from Rivers is down to the fact that he really is insane.!

Check out their Reading live recording to hear what he's like when he's in a good mood!

Anthony said:
During the newer songs I noticed much more people just standing, watching and singing along with smiles on their faces as opposed to the "jonas" freak out. So to say that the crowd weren't into the new stuff is not true.

I was pretty impressed with 'Pardon Me' live, even though I'm not mad about it on record.

Latex lizzie said:
when you say "vibe between rivers and brian" good vibe bad vibe explain? I'd heard that the band all don't get along much anymore... :confused:
really bad vibe. they never even looked at each other. things like where theres a 2 part solo where a band like iron maiden's guitarists would be grinding their crotches together such is their proximity and elation to be banjo duelling, rivers would turn his back to the other guy and go off on his own semi improvised solo which sounded like it was crafted purely to put the other guy off. and he'd tap his feet and look at his watch if brian was doing a solo. maybe i'm reading too much into it. but it definitely took from the cohesiveness.

I'm not the worlds biggest Weezer fan, I likes 'em and all but I'm not mintil into them or nothing - but I did really enjoy this. It was a good gig, certainly not a gig of a lifetime or even a completely amazing gig, I found it to be a bit up and down. The highs were deadly though, but the new stuff does sound a bit flat.

If they'd played Pink Triangle it might have been pushed into the realm of great. And if Rivers hadn't said that icky thing about all the great music that comes from Ireland. Yeah, like Mundy and Paddy Casey. Or maybe he meant Brendan Shine and Declan Nerney, who can say?

I'd say he meant the cranberries and the hothouse flowers. Oh rivers, don't go, or I'll brew up a storm and mary will say a prayer - what's that you're lit by? The whole of the moon??
MONDOBRUTALE said:
maybe he meant thin lizzy and damien frost?

avernus said:
yeah had a fucking amazing time. they kicked ass, even though Rivers Cuomo is like an inanimate carbon rod. disappointed they didnt play Only in dreams, The World has turned, Keep Fishing, El Scorcho, Surf Wax America - but hey, they played a lot of great shit. My name is Jonas was fucking brilliant. reminded me of how amazing it was to first listen to the blue album.

So much fun. headed down to the pinkertons in dorans after. they were good, but it was a total sweatfest so we bailed after Keep Fishing.

Can't believe its been 10 years wanting to see them and now I got to. So glad they didnt disappoint.

!!!

:D

Aw I'm glad ya managed to get a ticket!!!! Heard of one going when I was in the queue outside and I was thinking I should have gotten you're number to let ya know.

kirstie said:
And if Rivers hadn't said that icky thing about all the great music that comes from Ireland. Yeah, like Mundy and Paddy Casey. Or maybe he meant Brendan Shine and Declan Nerney, who can say?

that Irish thing was hard to comprehend; then he mentioned something about My Name Is Jonas in connexion with Ireland? Then they played it.

good , enjoyable gig though. Aside from having to drink Budpiss. Was nice to have a choice afterwards

feel pretty tired now, and have just got dumped loadsa work on my desk.

nlgbbbblth said:
that Irish thing was hard to comprehend; then he mentioned something about My Name Is Jonas in connexion with Ireland? Then they played it.

yeah, he said it sounded Irish. Ah sure I guess he's a bit touched in the head and all that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back