Wedding Thread (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter jane
  • Start date
  • Replies 164
  • Views 14K
  • Watchers 7
PS: I also just found out that my very favouritest cousin is coming over like 10 days early. Poor Mr Jane is like, "So I should just get all my talking in before the 23rd, eh?" And I'm like, "Yeah, and your point is?"

I realised yesterday that the last time the dress I'm wearing was worn, she was in the wedding. She and her sis were my ma and da's flower girls.

I don't have pics of them on the day, but me ma took some shaky photos of her wedding album.

But this is me ma in the dress. She was way skinnier than me, which isn't tough. I'm a porker, and have to have bits of fabric inserted into the shoulders so I don't burst the seams:

jaysus, it's you...30 years ago!

It's nuts, isn't it!? Wait until my cousin gets here. She was a flower girl in that wedding, and if you didn't know I wasn't born yet, you'd think it was me. Our mammies are twins, and she's 13 years older than me but we look like sisters.

If you took a bunch of childhood pics of the two of us and mixed 'em all up, you wouldn't know who was who except maybe by the clothing style.

I thought the veil had been lost, but apparently it's been located and has recently been cleaned. I thought about looking for another one (because we thought it was lost), but the quality was just nowhere near the quality of lace on the dress. Now that I see what's out there, I can see why the woman doing the alterations just couldn't stop going on about it.

Gettin' real excited about it all now!

And believe it or not, it was nearly 40 years ago! That was 1970. My ma still looks deadly.

As far as I know, Americans planning weddings tend to pay for a bit more stuff than Irishers do. Like, it's generally a free bar, someone with dosh usually springs for more than their own hotel room, I *think* it's not uncommon to buy some of the bridesmaids' dresses, etc.

I just know from my own family that it's always been the case that people who can't afford to get to the wedding on their own get a bit of financial help, but I don't know how expected that is.

You know, I'll ask me ma what the expectations/etiquette are for such things in the US. I only know based on the experience of a few weddings, but she knows about stuff like that.

generally a free bar, someone with dosh usually springs for more than their own hotel room, I *think* it's not uncommon to buy some of the bridesmaids' dresses, etc.

I just know from my own family that it's always been the case that people who can't afford to get to the wedding on their own get a bit of financial help, but I don't know how expected that is.

You know, I'll ask me ma what the expectations/etiquette are for such things in the US. I only know based on the experience of a few weddings, but she knows about stuff like that.

I've never heard of a wedding in Ireland that didn't have a free bar (or at least a limited tab of some sort) and bridesmaids having to pay for their own dresses was something I thought was only an American phenomenon. Both times that I was a bridesmaid the bride provided the dresses (my cousin borrowed them - with amusing results) and shoes for the day.

My cousin gave us our pearl jewellery for the day as our thank you gift. My sister gave us our dress and shoes. I was probably going to do the same.

My sister had wedding bubbles on the tables, which were a bit of fun. There were also beautiful (unlit) candles on the tables, one for each of the women there. Sadly, some of the member's of the groom's extended family got a bit greedy and took the lot.

Favours aren't really necessary I guess, but little nets of sweets seem pretty common, and you could make them up yourself pretty simply and inexpensively.

I've never heard of a wedding in Ireland that didn't have a free bar (or at least a limited tab of some sort) and bridesmaids having to pay for their own dresses was something I thought was only an American phenomenon. Both times that I was a bridesmaid the bride provided the dresses (my cousin borrowed them - with amusing results) and shoes for the day.

My friend is bridesmaid at two weddings and the brides chose the dresses but she had to pay half for them.

Slash mentions Angry Anderson in his book as this bad ass tattooed rock n roller!All I could think about was Scott and Charlene

neighbours460.jpg

awwwwww

Uh, I've never been to an Irish wedding with a free bar.

Am I just going to the wrong weddings?

I'm apparently doing absolutely everything wrong. Here's me on the phone to my mammy.

"Am I going nuts? Why do I feel like everyone is passing negative judgement on me?"

She: "It's because they are. That's what people do with weddings. They use it as an open season on you."

I've never heard of a wedding in Ireland that didn't have a free bar (or at least a limited tab of some sort)

Is this a wrong double negative? I've never been to a wedding in Ireland with a bar tab. If there's a free bar at my wedding, it will be stocked entirely with Yellow Pack Cola and cans of Dutch Gold.

Uh, I've never been to an Irish wedding with a free bar.

Am I just going to the wrong weddings?

I'm apparently doing absolutely everything wrong.

me neither, all the weddings I've been to here usually have a free bar before lunch, or up to the toasts and then everyone pays for their own drink.Jane,it's yr day, there are no rights and wrongs,just do whatever you like!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back