Water Charges (1 Viewer)

this is rather good

edit: didn't intend to post the entire text, thumped auto-did that

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

his point is the charge for harvested water going into the sewer.
there is no meter on the sewer. if i diverted a local river into my sewer, they've no method of metering that, so no, they do *not* charge for disposal of harvested water.
they charge for supply of clean water and disposal of the same amount.

anyway, i finally got round to signing up to irish water today.

there is no meter on the sewer. if i diverted a local river into my sewer, they've no method of metering that, so no, they do *not* charge for disposal of harvested water.
they charge for supply of clean water and disposal of the same amount.
charging extra for harvesting was the idea, i believe

no mention of metering was made

so no, they do *not* charge for disposal of harvested water.

Yeah, but if they think you're being clever and harvesting your own water, there is indications that they'll come after you for that.

No they don't charge you, but your contract says you can't put any other water sources in there. if they find you diverting a river in there, they won't just turn a blind eye.

if you harvest water off your roof, you are lessening what goes into the storm drain anyway.

There seems to be an understanding that runoff and waste aren't going to the same disposal pipes. I don't know if this is the case, although I should.

In this case, water from your roof is being added to what comes in from the tap and is increasing the burden at the treatment facility over and above what you have been charged for.
Anything off your roof or garden was not headed there to begin with. It was headed into the Tolka or the Dodder maybe?

If I'm right.

Building regulations 1997 to 2010 have

" No part of a drainage system conveying foul wastewater shall be connected to a sewer reserved for surface water and no part of a drainage system conveying surface water shall be connected to a sewer reserved for foul wastewater."
Cork Co. Co. say that this has been practise since the 70s.

The article Barrett quotes just reaffirms that. And yes, surface water will either- soak into the ground or, enter the drainage system and likely end up in your local river.

There seems to be an understanding that runoff and waste aren't going to the same disposal pipes. I don't know if this is the case, although I should.

In this case, water from your roof is being added to what comes in from the tap and is increasing the burden at the treatment facility over and above what you have been charged for.
generally, there are two systems - sewer and storm/surface water.
surface water is what is caught by your gutters and downpipes and should be discharged straight into nearby watercourses as it's not contaminated. everything else should go into the sewer because it's contaminated with soap/detergent/sewerage/etc.; and that's what should go to treatment plants.

this being ireland though, i've seen examples where the outflow from kitchen sinks goes into storm drains (such as in castleknock) which ends up being discharged straight into the tolka, because of lax building standards; the cost of remediation for that issue alone would run into millions. i.e. you'd have to dig up pipes in every house in castleknock to divert the waste water the right way.

that's one example of lack of joined up thinking which a single body responsible for water should be able to handle better; it's one part of the puzzle of getting basic shit like that right.

generally, there are two systems - sewer and storm/surface water.
surface water is what is caught by your gutters and downpipes and should be discharged straight into nearby watercourses as it's not contaminated. everything else should go into the sewer because it's contaminated with soap/detergent/sewerage/etc.; and that's what should go to treatment plants.

this being ireland though, i've seen examples where the outflow from kitchen sinks goes into storm drains (such as in castleknock) which ends up being discharged straight into the tolka, because of lax building standards; the cost of remediation for that issue alone would run into millions. i.e. you'd have to dig up pipes in every house in castleknock to divert the waste water the right way.

that's one example of lack of joined up thinking which a single body responsible for water should be able to handle better; it's one part of the puzzle of getting basic shit like that right.

Right, so harvesting rainwater for uses other than drinking is a good way to cheat the system.

charging extra for harvesting was the idea, i believe
i have seen reference to the fact that you need a permit from the council to hook your harvested water into the house supply, which people are conflating with the idea of harvesting water; and there's a good reason the council should have oversight of this. not sure if that's the context you're talking about, but i have not seen any mention whatsoever of a tax or other charge on water butts.

hook your harvested water into the house supply, which people are conflating with the idea of harvesting water

Those are both harvesting water, no?

No one cares about water butts because they are mostly used for gardening.

The perception is that Irish Water will want to know if you're using harvested water for uses that will end up in the sewer. That was in one of those documents. I'll go search and come back.

The perception is that Irish Water will want to know if you're using harvested water for uses that will end up in the sewer. That was in one of those documents. I'll go search and come back.
the concern here (from what i understand) is not necessarily that that water will end up in the sewer, but that you've hooked it up to your domestic supply, which is why it's ending up in the sewer - i.e. that you're adding untreated water to the domestic supply, and possibly contaminating it.

the concern here (from what i understand) is not necessarily that that water will end up in the sewer, but that you've hooked it up to your domestic supply, which is why it's ending up in the sewer - i.e. that you're adding untreated water to the domestic supply, and possibly contaminating it.

I think of far greater concern is that you won't be paying for it.

eh, that's always been the case.
requiring permission from the council to hook a harvested water system to the domestic supply has been required for years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back