Warpaint (1 Viewer)

Warpaint's popularlity bemuses me a bit, it's not that I dislike their music (although I do, I think it's quite dull and having seen them live that's still the case on stage), but I find it odd that a band with their sound and one album is selling out 1,000+ venues in Dublin.
But have you seen the chick who plays bass or guitar, one or the other.
tumblr_l6phqyKOWA1qbckmgo1_500_large.jpg

The drummer is seriously good. The others do their bit too. The choons are nice. There was a definite threading water feel to sections of the gig, but I suppose they've only one album. I reckon there's kind of a fashion thing too for "the kids" you were talking about, which is helped by/down to the fact that they're cool looking women. It's always exciting to see an all female band who can rock it - don't ask me to explain why or I'll invoke the ghost of Jane or something. It just is. The drummer in particular had some girls near me screaming their appreciation as she left the stage.

The drummer is seriously good. The others do their bit too. The choons are nice. There was a definite threading water feel to sections of the gig, but I suppose they've only one album. I reckon there's kind of a fashion thing too for "the kids" you were talking about, which is helped by/down to the fact that they're cool looking women. It's always exciting to see an all female band who can rock it - don't ask me to explain why or I'll invoke the ghost of Jane or something. It just is. The drummer in particular had some girls near me screaming their appreciation as she left the stage.

I noticed that too. Suppose it stands to reason that a very cool all-girl 'indie' band is going to appeal to the female members of an 'indie' audience. Its rare enough these times to happen across all-female acts (I can't think of many anyway).

They're a very decent band though. At the end she was saying, 'see you at Electric Picnic'. That'd be very cool, to see them late on a saturday night in one of the EP tents (dunno when they're on, but just sayin, it'd be cool).

As a band they possibly had more of a leg-up than most, with the Fruscante connections, but still, very cool band.

RE: the young crowd, maybe you're all just getting older?

I really enjoyed the gig last night, drummer and bass player were great and some of the guitar lines were lovely. I thought the sound was great too.

Its a generational thing I reckon. The kiddies at the gig last night were pretty much all about 1 song - Undertow - beyond that they were disinterested enough, except for the livelier parts of the show when there was some hoopin and hollerin.

Once the college kids latch onto a song they turn out for gigs en masse. At least thats what I reckon. The last time Animal Collective played Tripod I wasn't that surprised it sold out. I was surprised at how young the crowd were though, and again at that gig it seemed they only knew one song (My Girl).

Or maybe I'm just a grumpy old bollox.

I was surprised there wasn't more yoke-heads at that show.
It's drug music, isn't it?

One of them was in Rules of Attraction as well.

NWS I guess and also a spoiler for the book / film

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back