Violence, god help us (1 Viewer)

my face for this thread

SuperStock_1525R-155212.jpg

It wasn't just Catholic priests who were at that kind of thing. My Dad was sent to boarding school in the North when he was just 10. He started there at the same time as some of his cousins, who were around the same age. Dad wasn't interfered with, but knew something awful was happening. When he came home at the end of his first year there he told his Dad he didn't want to go back because "bad things" were happening. My Grandfather gathered the other parents and the cousins together and it transpired that one of the cousins had been repeatedly molested by his housemaster, and that it had happened to a lot of other boys in the school. They took all of them out of the school and reported the master, who was dismissed with references and went off to another school in England.

My Grandmother always said "It was such a blessing that Mike wasn't a pretty child" when she talked about it.

My view is that they were all fucked in the head to be sending 10 year olds to another fucking country for 8 months at a stretch to be looked after by God only knew who. If you don't want to have to spend time with children don't have any.

My view is that they were all fucked in the head to be sending 10 year olds to another fucking country for 8 months at a stretch to be looked after by God only knew who. If you don't want to have to spend time with children don't have any.

People did what they thought they should be doing, I think for the most part.
Personally, it's easy for me to criticise my parents, but with the set of tools they had and what information was available to them, they honestly did the best they could.
Also, the choice to not have kids wasn't there really. Contraception was essentially illegal.
You wanted to have sex, you pretty much had to get married. You got married, you were having kids.

But, yes, boarding school seems very anachronistic. Like something out of Dickens.

There was no good reason to send Dad at 10. My Aunts (twins) were sent at the same time to a different, closer, school and they were only 8. The only reason I was ever given when I asked my Grandmother was something about wanting her social life back and being tired of missing all the parties and having 'children underfoot'.

Only now that I have a child of my own do I fully understand how warped and selfish she was.

was your granny joan crawford?

My Gran could have given Joan Crawford lessons. Thing is, she'd no idea that there was anything wrong with how she treated her children, or children in general.

But that's off the point, I guess the point I was trying to make is that abusers need opportunities and impunity. Most children are now taught that it's not ok for someone to hit or touch them and that they should tell their parents if someone does.

We had a few. It was weird, like the kids would warn each other "Stay away from him, he's after your mickey" kind of thing.
Lucky for me they went after the weak kids. I was gabby as fuck. I reckon they thought I'd be a squealer.

I had a priest take me aside at summer project at a swimming pool and teach me how to hold my breath. Never laid a hand on me, but he was jerking off the whole time in the pool. I asked really loudly what he was doing with his hands? I honestly hadn't a clue. I was probably 10.
I was told to go back and join the others. Lesson was over.

Derry O'Rourke was the swimming coach at my secondary school. I don't think there was much overlap between me being there and him working there, I think maybe it was my first year when all the shit started to come out. When the whole thing made its way through the courts and he was sentenced the school arranged councilling for anyone who may have been affected, I'd say I was in 4th year by then. Can't say for certain but to the best of my knowledge he never abused students of the school, but targetted kids who came in early in the morning from outside who trained there, not that it was any better of course.

We also had a maths teacher who everyone thought was dodgy, who I actually liked based on the dealings I had with him, but I think his rep may have been down to misplaced homophobic prejudice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back