Violence, god help us (2 Viewers)

My primary was very nice, i don't remember anyone ever getting hit. the secondary was ok, the principle used to jab you in the shoulder but he was quite small so you'd just laugh at him, which enraged him even more and he'd shout something in irish and walk off.

the principle of my sons school is a mentaler but not the hitting kind (i don't think). He'd have the kids out in yard in the rain before school starts instead of the hall and parents would be flipping out. Apparently he ignores all the mas when they ask him shit as well.

I come from a huge family of teachers. A few of them worked through the transition from violent to non violent. they were saying that even when it existed you could tell that some teachers were power tripping on it and some were just sort of making a statement once in a while to keep a room together. coupled with the introduction of tv then videogames he says he more or less watched the death of the attention span.

my attention span is fucked these days, i can't even watch an episode of family guy or something without pausing to check facebook or play a quick computer game

I only encountered one teacher in school who clearly liked to hurt children, and I never actually had him teach me. I had run ins with him in the yard a few times, but even then I wouldn't take him seriously and as I was tall he never hit me. Saw him clout a few friends though. He was such a little shit.

I was doing quick DIY a job in my kids school a few weeks back and had a peek into his classroom. They were having the best craic ever doing science experiments. He's only 4 and I guess school is supposed to be a laugh at the age, but it seems the fact that as there are so many other career options now the folk who become teachers actually enjoy teaching.

@JohnnyRaz - so violence in secondary schools went on until at least the late 90s?

I saw the strap being used a couple of times, must have been fucking sore cos it made even the tough boys cry (though we were only 9 or 10 at the time). I was too much of a goodie goodie to ever even be threatened with it

hard to say really - I guess we're looking early 90s (before 95) at least - based on the experiences at my own school.
there was one maths teacher who used to take lads out of class and batter them - his class room was away from anywhere else and he only used to do it to the kids who were utter messers (ie no one would believe their word against his). My last definite memory of him doing something would have been 93 or 94.

my attention span is fucked these days, i can't even watch an episode of family guy or something without pausing to check facebook or play a quick computer game

I find myself checking my phone while watching TV and if the internet is slow, I find myself reaching for my phone (even though it's already in my hand) to browse the net while I'm waiting. It's an affliction.

I find myself checking my phone while watching TV and if the internet is slow, I find myself reaching for my phone (even though it's already in my hand) to browse the net while I'm waiting. It's an affliction.

I reached for my phone to check the internet half way through reading your post before I remembered I was already on it.

I had some class teachers too.Thats where I got my love for the English language

my brother was only born in 1982 and there was a bit of mild physical chastisement going on throughout his school years..things like throwing chalk or dusters or a clip round the head. no actual slaps or rulerings. i'd say the old-school teachers just took a while to break the habit of a lifetime.

i only got hit by a teacher once (a mild clip on the head with a duster, in junior infants) and my mother was raging

I DON'T WANNA GO TO SCHOOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back