Violence, god help us (1 Viewer)

My (long since gone) dad was a secondary school teacher from 1960 to about 2000.

He claimed (to me) that he never administered corporal punishment to students but occasionally got frustrated and threw a blackboard duster at a student to make them behave. One time he threw it and it landed square on a lad's noggin and split his head open. My dad said he was horrified by it and never did it again and said the student's reaction "Sir, it's grand" while blood was pumping from his head was the most shocking aspect.

My dad also said that some teachers (his contemporaries) were sadists and administered corporal punishment liberally and with glee. Even post corporal punishment prohibition there doesn't seem to have been much done about these guys.

I got the ruler slap in 2nd class. I can still recall the sting. (c1990)

I got punched in the head (c1995) and jostled a few times by one particular teacher in secondary school that somehow most of us thought was grand, cool. It's only in retrospect that I think he was a violent scumbag. I don't have sprogs but if I did and heard of same sort of treatment I would make sure they never taught or were near kids again.

My national school teacher, a vile harridan who smelled of mince and wore stacked shoes had a metal edged ruler she called "Susie". In a grotesque exercise in disassociation, if a child misbehaved she would say (as Gaelige) "Susie is going to hit you". One day one of the wilder kids grabbed Susie out her hand and snapped it across his knee

He was a hero

We had a teacher who asked us to keep an eye out for sticks he could use to beat us. Amazingly some lads would bring one in for him from time to time, but I think he mainly used the tried and trusted stick he always had. He was very popular, went on to become a TD.

My national school teacher, a vile harridan who smelled of mince and wore stacked shoes had a metal edged ruler she called "Susie". In a grotesque exercise in disassociation, if a child misbehaved she would say (as Gaelige) "Susie is going to hit you". One day one of the wilder kids grabbed Susie out her hand and snapped it across his knee

He was a hero
I love every second of that story. Bring back rep

My da grew up beside his national school, and at one stage a new teacher stayed in his family house for a while until she found a place of her own. She ordered a batch of canes at one stage, and when they arrived she tried them out on him - in his own home, and not because he had done anything "wrong". He was too tough to tell his parents

Another incident from my da's schooldays - one chap in the class decided enough was enough, and convinced his classmates to attack the teacher. The signal was he'd drop his schoolbook on the floor, and then the onslaught would begin.

So, during the school day, down goes the book on the floor and yer man jumps up shouting "RIGHT LADS!", but his co-conspirators kept to their seats. When the teacher demanded to know what was going on, the poor lad sheepishly says "We were going to bate you sir". Needless to say the poor chap received a fair bating himself that afternoon

We had our share of wallopings. There was a teacher that would grab you tightly by a small bunch of hair above your ear - quite painful.
Another guy's trademark was to kick you in the shins.
And then there was just stuff like dusters and books getting thrown at you if you were looking at something other than the teacher.

In primary school one day we all heard roars coming out of the hallway and I recognised the most feared teacher in the school's voice stammering out an apology, then I realised the other voice was my Ma giving him a bollocking from heaven above that if he ever touched her son (my younger brother) again, there'd be hell to pay. This NEVER happened in our school. Our fucking teacher was afraid to go outside til she left.
I always loved her for that. Well, I always loved her. But it made me proud.

Some woman for the children. If she saw a kid getting a walloping from a parent in the street she'd be all "For God's sake, he's only a child, missus"
People didn't always take kindly being told how to parent in the 70s and 80s.
We were morto. She did it in London once and got a racist rant for her trouble. Never bothered her.

Last edited:
Half the teachers were paedos

We had a few. It was weird, like the kids would warn each other "Stay away from him, he's after your mickey" kind of thing.
Lucky for me they went after the weak kids. I was gabby as fuck. I reckon they thought I'd be a squealer.

I had a priest take me aside at summer project at a swimming pool and teach me how to hold my breath. Never laid a hand on me, but he was jerking off the whole time in the pool. I asked really loudly what he was doing with his hands? I honestly hadn't a clue. I was probably 10.
I was told to go back and join the others. Lesson was over.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back